Black a boat whilst still in the water....

Featured Posts

Complete and utter waste of time at this time of year......perhaps if he leaves it strapped up one way for several months it may have time and temperature to go off, and then he can do the other side.....maybe CRT will allow him to overstay until June.

If I heard correctly,he's going to sand it to bare metal,fill the pits with epoxy filler and fibreglass it.

That is done with car bodies,but on a boat?   May last long enough to take it to London and flog it to some unsuspecting newbie as a livaboard.

• Greenie 1

There are some epoxy fillers in the commercial shipping world that are regarded as an acceptable (or even preferable) alternative to filling pits with welds. I suspect that a 1970's Piper built ex-hire boat which has been neglected is probably a bit beyond their intended scope though!

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

If I heard correctly,he's going to sand it to bare metal,fill the pits with epoxy filler and fibreglass it.

That is done with car bodies,but on a boat?   May last long enough to take it to London and flog it to some unsuspecting newbie as a livaboard.

I was watching them making million pound millionaire's yachts (but no sails). They were rendered with epoxy filler to get a mirror finish on the steel work. I think you will find the QE II was finished like that on her hull

It is an ingenious plan, but he's given himself a lot of work to do. I look forward to Episode Two to see how he gets on.

I do wonder why he doesn't just have the boat hauled out of the water for blacking, like most other people. Perhaps he's economising?

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was watching them making million pound millionaire's yachts (but no sails). They were rendered with epoxy filler to get a mirror finish on the steel work. I think you will find the QE II was finished like that on her hull

I know the Royal Yacht Britannia was but I doubt the QE2 was.

There's nothing new there. If the guy making the video had never heard of it he must be a newbie. 

It's ok if you just want to treat the waterline but the guy doing the work was talking about filling all the pitts with filler so it's basically a botch job because he's too tight to get it out of the water and do it properly.

As for all the grindings going into the cut, where do you think it all goes when boats are ground in a dry dock? Most are so full of muck they don't get swept out. 

Filler is mostly a cosmetic thing. Epoxy paint in pits seems to stop the pit going any deeper - so does ordinary blacking but it doesn't last so long. Therefore it doesn't seem necessary  to load the pit up with filler unless you want it to look pit free. The pic. of the slab of paint cracking off the boat looks like poor adhesion and a bit of roughening up would maybe have avoided that - maybe not, who knows? As ever though the rule is to try to keep everything painted. As for tipping the boat to paint a couple of inches below the waterline, yeah, well, just get the thing hauled out and do it properly and don't try to fool people into thinking its been docked.

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I know the Royal Yacht Britannia was but I doubt the QE2 was.

You could well have put me right there, in fact you probably have. Thanks, it was late and I am old

It seems you can spray it on now 

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It is an ingenious plan, but he's given himself a lot of work to do. I look forward to Episode Two to see how he gets on.

I do wonder why he doesn't just have the boat hauled out of the water for blacking, like most other people. Perhaps he's economising?

Something to do with the price of everything and value of nothing comes to mind. As with many things in life, you get what you pay for.

Another 2bob millionaire on the canal, buy a cheap boat move onto the canal and don’t have the money to do the boat up. Just look at the state of the boat, you know all he’s going to do is make a mess on and of the towpath. 
 Why not just hire a dry dock for a week and do the job properly? Because I have no money and I’m just going to grind and paint here on the towpath, 

I bet it’s somewhere around London and he’s a CCer that stays put more then he CC’s. 

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Another 2bob millionaire on the canal, buy a cheap boat move onto the canal and don’t have the money to do the boat up. Just look at the state of the boat, you know all he’s going to do is make a mess on and of the towpath. 
 Why not just hire a dry dock for a week and do the job properly? Because I have no money and I’m just going to grind and paint here on the towpath, 

I bet it’s somewhere around London and he’s a CCer that stays put more then he CC’s. 

could have bought it cheap as a lockdown project. buy clunker, couple of weeks for a towpath makeover, move it nearer to London or the K&A, sell to unsuspecting newbies with stars in their eyes and cash in their pocket, and in the words of Steve Miller - take the money and run.

or he's a skint bloke down on his luck trying to make himself a home.

isn't the bloke doing the videoing the same nutter that was drinking canal water through his homebrewed filter system?

34 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

< snip > isn't the bloke doing the videoing the same nutter that was drinking canal water through his homebrewed filter system?

Yes, that's him.

Calls himself 'a boater' but says "we couldn't afford to live in London so we bought a boat instead" (or something of that ilk)

And, when fitting that water system, "We moored on a waterpoint but it's OK because we told the CRT what we were doing"

9 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

isn't the bloke doing the videoing the same nutter that was drinking canal water through his homebrewed filter system?

You can tell he’s a plonker as he mentions several time’s that “Del Boy”Derek’s idea is ingenious. Most would disagree.

Is this a typical example of a London Boater, staying put for a few weeks grinding, filling, blackening on what looks like a busy Towpath? Plonker.

What about all the crap that will end up in the canal during this process?

Boaters like this are irresponsible Idiots and that’s putting it politely.

Edited by PD1964

• 1 month later...