Motor for spud leg

swift1894

Featured Posts

I guess from a couple of your other mails that you are in France? There's certainly not much use for spud legs on UK canals - I am unconvinced about having them on pleasure craft in Continental waters either, but that is a different issue. You'd almost certainly get a more practical answer on the DBA forum https://barges.org/discussion-forum

Tam

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

For those who don't know, spud legs are fitted to barges and work platforms to stabilise and anchor them whilst in working mode

20140619_121944-spudpaal.jpg

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

For those who don't know, spud legs are fitted to barges and work platforms to stabilise and anchor them whilst in working mode

20140619_121944-spudpaal.jpg

I’m trying to suss out how those winches are connected to the tubular spud legs?

36 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

There's certainly not much use for spud legs on UK canals ....

Tam

Most of CRT contract dredging on shallow canals is now done by small diggers on spud leg work flats filling dumb barges, or one end of a work hopper.

....so yes, you are correct, very little use.

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Most of CRT contract dredging on shallow canals is now done by small diggers on spud leg work flats filling dumb barges, or one end of a work hopper.

Which was their original purpose. People bought ex-working barges from the Netherlands which occasionally had them fitted and there was no reason to remove them.  But  soon  it became almost a fashion to retro-fit them to pleasure craft, and I remain quite unconvinced that the rare occasion when they can be used to advantage justifies their cost and the space they occupy. They are regarded as a form of anchor  and are forbidden on most Continental canals (they damage the bottom) which means they can only be used on rivers.

Tam

Seeing Matty40s' reply I'm slightly surprised that CRT allow them on canal work given the damage to the puddle

Edited by Tam & Di
expansion

7 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Which was their original purpose. People bought ex-working barges from the Netherlands which occasionally had them fitted and there was no reason to remove them.  But  soon  it became almost a fashion to retro-fit them to pleasure craft, and I remain quite unconvinced that the rare occasion when they can be used to advantage justifies their cost and the space they occupy. They are regarded as a form of anchor  and are forbidden on most Continental canals (they damage the bottom) which means they can only be used on rivers.

Tam

Seeing Matty40s' reply I'm slightly surprised that CRT allow them on canal work given the damage to the puddle

The modern dutch dutch barge moored behind us in Lille a couple of years ago suddenly appeared floating without apparent connection to the bank about a metre from the bank, upon enquiry we found that they had once had an unfortunate experience of the boarding kind here so they had used their spud leg to moor (anchor?) away from the bank for the night. (We had a quiet night though, the mooring is close to the police barracks!)