Unsafe Hotel Boat on the Thames

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

As Trotmans boats were often dumped on the free visitor moorings ive no sympathy whatsoever. He also seemed adept at upsetting the locals the end result of which given the sort of affluent areas meant a further reduction in any mooring as they were the sort of house dwellers who had the ear of the local council etc. who then put up No Mooring signs.

Im amazed the EA seemed even more helpless than CRT when it came to enforcement.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

As Trotmans boats were often dumped on the free visitor moorings ive no sympathy whatsoever. He also seemed adept at upsetting the locals the end result of which given the sort of affluent areas meant a further reduction in any mooring as they were the sort of house dwellers who had the ear of the local council etc. who then put up No Mooring signs.

Im amazed the EA seemed even more helpless than CRT when it came to enforcement.

AFAIR, EA managed to tahke Trotman to court some years ago and the result was a pitful fine. Similarly later they towed one of his boats to a backwater with poor access and shortly after it was towed back by 'person or persons unknown'.

The difficulty for EA is that they only have limited funds and courts being expensive, the management have little room to move.

Now if it (whatever) was a criminal offence.......

(t'would be a whole different ball-game)

Good grief that's a terrible 'boat.'  There are people living all over the place nowadays in things that were never meant to be lived in, cars, tents, shacks, garages, garden sheds and for all I know caves. When I was much younger I lived in some odd places and half built boats and that was fine by me but when someone else is charging rent for living in a pile of dangerous rubbish like that I am amazed that in an over regulated country like this that there is not half a dozen existing laws that can close it down. 

One of them is currently moored in Kingston between Turks Launches and Thames Ditton Marina. I’ve seen the cassette get emptied next to the path and it’s smelling pretty bad... Photo taken over the weekend. 

I used to have a GRP cruiser moored in Thames Ditton, and every time we took it out we’d see this same boat somewhere between Sunbury and Kingston. It used to have a load of small engineless boats tied to it, some half sunk, some which looked like people were living on them.  20738484-23FC-435A-9EA5-DB6368AC9080.jpeg.571f6b8e7bddf13f64eeab0b90d6ecfb.jpeg20738484-23FC-435A-9EA5-DB6368AC9080.jpeg.571f6b8e7bddf13f64eeab0b90d6ecfb.jpeg

Edited by cheesegas

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

I very much doubt that Trotman will pay any of the £39k

Even if he did it's a drop in the ocean compared with the profits generated by the boats over the last 10+ years. That's got to be in the millions. No overheads like moorings or maintenance. Ok so the boats apparently have BS (yet nobody knows who passed them) and registrations for the Thames but that's not a lot compared to what you would have to pay to moor such large units and most mooring providers would say no way José anyway. 

Its an absolute goldmine and what with having a spare passport there is always the option to quickly disappear if needed. 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, cheesegas said:

One of them is currently moored in Kingston between Turks Launches and Thames Ditton Marina. I’ve seen the cassette get emptied next to the path and it’s smelling pretty bad... Photo taken over the weekend. 

I used to have a GRP cruiser moored in Thames Ditton, and every time we took it out we’d see this same boat somewhere between Sunbury and Kingston. It used to have a load of small engineless boats tied to it, some half sunk, some which looked like people were living on them.  20738484-23FC-435A-9EA5-DB6368AC9080.jpeg.571f6b8e7bddf13f64eeab0b90d6ecfb.jpeg20738484-23FC-435A-9EA5-DB6368AC9080.jpeg.571f6b8e7bddf13f64eeab0b90d6ecfb.jpeg

That's terrible. Charging rent to live in a boat that is upside down. Should be a law against it.

Is Holidays Afloat the right place for this topic!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Haha, posted from my phone and looked fine on there - not sure why it's flipped on desktop. Can't seem to edit it either...sorry!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I-phones and I-pads used to often do weird image flips when moving pictures between gadgets. Something to do with the odd way Apple wrote EXIF data to Jpegs I think. Don't know if they still have that problem, but if you have an Iphone, then the answer is probably still yes.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

Even if he did it's a drop in the ocean compared with the profits generated by the boats over the last 10+ years. That's got to be in the millions. No overheads like moorings or maintenance. Ok so the boats apparently have BS (yet nobody knows who passed them) and registrations for the Thames but that's not a lot compared to what you would have to pay to moor such large units and most mooring providers would say no way José anyway. ...

Not condoning what he is doing in any way, but not sure it is "millions"*  10 rooms at £250-300 a month only brings in £30-35000 a year - and that's assuming they are fully occupied, summer and winter.  And he is incurring at least some expenses: diesel, generator, registration, quite a lot of solar panels in the picture, etc.  Plus the cost of acquiring the boat at outset: either capital or loan interest + insurance.

(* unless perhaps he has 10 similar boats)