What do Covid Rules allow on the canal?

canalboat

Featured Posts

Having suffered the abuse yesterday of two men carrying fishing rods, merely because I came round a  corner and surprised them in their pursuit of torturing live animals, I was tempted to tell them the covid rules but realised I was not confident in understanding them.  Then I was listening to our beloved leader last evening saying that at the end of next month, you can sit on a bench with one other person for a coffee and resume sport etc.  I realised then I have been right to have felt objection over the last weeks when I have seen an endless stream of folk on the towpath sitting having drinks, snacks and full picnics and certainly of fishing people either alone or in pairs.  So what are the rules ?  Are all these people committing crimes? And if so, why is there no enforcement on the canals?  

Fish bothering was banned during lock down 1. No mention of it in lock down 3. The vague and ever changing rules and the disconnect between the law and the guidelines means that it is our fault, not the government when coronavirus cases rise, 'cause we didn't follow the rules. Whether that is incompetence, or machiavellian subtlety I don't know.

• Greenie 2

I am fortunate in that the anglers don't really bother me, though anywhere near Worksop and they are just theives  out to see what they can get, I did have one angler shout something one day, long ago, when I was actually moving, I don't think it was "good morning". 

To be honest, I don't agree with fishing for "pleasure", but until it is no longer PC, it will be politically acceptable, four million voters can't be wrong... 

Now here 's a suggestion. 

Recruit boaters as volunteers to inspect fishing licences, think of the money this would save the EA

Edited by LadyG
  • Sad 1

I see lots of men working from a vehicle in pairs with no PPE, this includes the police, so it must be legal. 

I took a taxi back from hospital two weeks ago, I expected it would have some sort of precaution, none, it drove off without cleaning, driver had a kerchief when driving and talking. and he handled my luggage before I could stop him. Cash only. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

Having suffered the abuse yesterday of two men carrying fishing rods, merely because I came round a  corner and surprised them in their pursuit of torturing live animals, I was tempted to tell them the covid rules but realised I was not confident in understanding them.  Then I was listening to our beloved leader last evening saying that at the end of next month, you can sit on a bench with one other person for a coffee and resume sport etc.  I realised then I have been right to have felt objection over the last weeks when I have seen an endless stream of folk on the towpath sitting having drinks, snacks and full picnics and certainly of fishing people either alone or in pairs.  So what are the rules ?  Are all these people committing crimes? And if so, why is there no enforcement on the canals?  

The CRT angling rules as of Jan 2021 are here

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-angling

Howard

28 minutes ago, howardang said:

Thanks for that. So sitting staring at water is exercise but sitting on a bench drinking a coffee is not permitted!!!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I see lots of men working from a vehicle in pairs with no PPE, this includes the police, so it must be legal. 

I took a taxi back from hospital two weeks ago, I expected it would have some sort of precaution, none, it drove off without cleaning, driver had a kerchief when driving and talking. and he handled my luggage before I could stop him. Cash only. 

I had recently a need to look at a couple of local authority web sites regarding their refuse collection and it seems that a frequent question is why the refuse collectors do not have to wear masks. The official responses set out why this is the case (it includes noting the special provision for bubble working and that whole bubbles have to isolate if just one gets a positive test). I also note that outdoor working is now considered to be much less risky than indoor and masks are not mandated in all work situations.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am fortunate in that the anglers don't really bother me, though anywhere near Worksop and they are just theives  out to see what they can get, I did have one angler shout something one day, long ago, when I was actually moving, I don't think it was "good morning". 

To be honest, I don't agree with fishing for "pleasure", but until it is no longer PC, it will be politically acceptable, four million voters can't be wrong... 

Now here 's a suggestion. 

Recruit boaters as volunteers to inspect fishing licences, think of the money this would save the EA

I think you need to chat with Roger Alsopp who is a member on this forum as I remember some of his stories of when he was a bailiff

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

The taxi driver seemed an impertinent sort, and far too familiar. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The taxi driver seemed an impertinent sort, and far too familiar. 

How do you know? Were you sharing the taxi?

Mrs. Athy has taken a couple of taxi journeys recently, and I was surprised when she told me that there were no screens between the front seats and the rear passenger compartment. Shops have to have them, why not taxis?

Edited by Athy

21 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I had recently a need to look at a couple of local authority web sites regarding their refuse collection and it seems that a frequent question is why the refuse collectors do not have to wear masks. The official responses set out why this is the case (it includes noting the special provision for bubble working and that whole bubbles have to isolate if just one gets a positive test). I also note that outdoor working is now considered to be much less risky than indoor and masks are not mandated in all work situations.

Our LA bin collections have been cancelled for the last 4 weeks as they do not have enough staff left to man the lorries. 

There are so many infected with C19, which has led to the rest of the crew being in isolation.

They are hoping to get the 1st collection back this coming friday for 'general waste', and then possibly 'green-recycle waste' next friday.

Its a good job its been quite cold, its kept the smells and the maggots down.

This week the situation has escalated to the point that around one-third of the team is unable to work because of positive tests or the need to self-isolate.

Council Leader Cllr Richard Wright said: “It is so very disappointing for the crew, the wider team and of course customers that we have had to take this step after all the efforts and measures they have taken over the past year to keep the service going. I pay tribute to them for all they do and on behalf of our appreciative communities, thank them sincerely.

“Our paramount concern is for the welfare of our colleagues, their families and our customers and it is critical that we protect them and prevent any possible transmission of the virus. We hope that by pausing collections we will be in a stronger, more resilient position to resume services with confidence and in safety as soon as we are able.

“By taking a responsible step of having the entire Waste & Street Scene workforce tested regularly, even though they were asymptomatic, to ensure they were fit and well to continue operating safely, we were able to identify a couple of positive cases at an early stage and respond swiftly and effectively to protect others.

“With around a third of the workforce currently unable to work because of the need to isolate, this illustrates painfully how ever-present the virus is, that Covid-19 is very real and impacting those around us and the need to be vigilant against it.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our LA bin collections have been cancelled for the last 4 weeks as they do not have enough staff left to man the lorries. 

There are so many infected with C19, which has led to the rest of the crew being in isolation.

They are hoping to get the 1st collection back this coming friday for 'general waste', and then possibly 'green-recycle waste' next friday.

Its a good job its been quite cold, its kept the smells and the maggots down.

This week the situation has escalated to the point that around one-third of the team is unable to work because of positive tests or the need to self-isolate.

Council Leader Cllr Richard Wright said: “It is so very disappointing for the crew, the wider team and of course customers that we have had to take this step after all the efforts and measures they have taken over the past year to keep the service going. I pay tribute to them for all they do and on behalf of our appreciative communities, thank them sincerely.

“Our paramount concern is for the welfare of our colleagues, their families and our customers and it is critical that we protect them and prevent any possible transmission of the virus. We hope that by pausing collections we will be in a stronger, more resilient position to resume services with confidence and in safety as soon as we are able.

“By taking a responsible step of having the entire Waste & Street Scene workforce tested regularly, even though they were asymptomatic, to ensure they were fit and well to continue operating safely, we were able to identify a couple of positive cases at an early stage and respond swiftly and effectively to protect others.

“With around a third of the workforce currently unable to work because of the need to isolate, this illustrates painfully how ever-present the virus is, that Covid-19 is very real and impacting those around us and the need to be vigilant against it.

They've probably all gone canal fishing!? 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

How do you know? Were you sharing the taxi?

Mrs. Athy has taken a couple of taxi journeys recently, and I was surprised when she told me that there were no screens between the front seats and the rear passenger compartment. Shops have to have them, why not taxis?

I think @Athy, that @Higgs was a bit 'off topic' 

Those supermarket screens are to protect the staff , not the public  and a lot of taxi drivers are 'self employed', in theory though not in reality if they work for one employer/taxi owner.

Anyways, that was one of the better local firms, I believe. The trip was two weeks ago, and I am OK, but one can't be sure of anything these days.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, canalboat said:

What about sitting on a towpath bench, drinking a coffee

and fishing?

You would probably have to get Michael Gove to answer that one, with one of his famous 256 word sentence responses that dont give an answer anyway.

In the 1st lockdown Angling was banned, there were several fishing matches locally, although the National final was cancelled. Fishermen were out every time we went for a pumpout.

In the 2nd lockdown angling was banned again, although fishing was allowed.? lots of anglers out throughout the period.

3rd lockdown, angling permitted, no change then.

On 23/02/2021 at 09:09, canalboat said:

why is there no enforcement on the canals?  

Did you report the offending anglers who offended you  to the police? If not why do you complain there is no enforcement?

Do you expect police patrols on the canals looking for offensive anglers ?

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1