Elevated beds?

Martin Stanford

Featured Posts

Good evening

Many new camper vans are fitted with hydraulic beds that raise/lower and store on the ceiling when not in use.

I have viewed hundreds of narrow boats and have not seen this set up in any of them.  I would have thought this would be a perfect solution to save space and to avoid having to make a bed up daily.

Is there a reason why this technology is not used on narrow boats?

7 minutes ago, Martin Stanford said:

Good evening

Many new camper vans are fitted with hydraulic beds that raise/lower and store on the ceiling when not in use.

I have viewed hundreds of narrow boats and have not seen this set up in any of them.  I would have thought this would be a perfect solution to save space and to avoid having to make a bed up daily.

Headroom.

22 minutes ago, Martin Stanford said:

Good evening

Inertia in design. Acceptance of what most users want and what is saleable.

35 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Headroom.

I wouldn't have thought that the average camper van had more headroom than the average narrow boat so I don't think that's it.

43 minutes ago, Martin Stanford said:

Narrowboat builders tend not to innovate very much, but there's nothing to stop you doing it yourself if you know what you want and how to do it.

It would obviously require proper planning and good design to make it work. Perhaps elevated hydraulic bed kits are available from camper van equipment suppliers.

Edited by blackrose

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't have thought that the average camper van had more headroom than the average narrow boat so I don't think that's it.

Most motorhomes have them over the cab area or dining area where the predominant activity is sitting. Either whilst driving or when the front seats are spun 180 degrees to face the dining table.

In a narrowboat where passage along its full length is normally required it would requiring a degree of crouching as one passes through. I suspect that isnt deemed acceptable.

It wouldn't be a straight lift up/down either. They would need to cope with sloping upper sides and a hook under the gunwhale to avoid wasting space in the narrow width. Not insurmountable, but more complex. The width at the ceiling is narrower, so a 4' wide double would mean crouching to get underneath as @The Happy Nomad says.You'd lose at least a foot of ceiling height, which most boats don't have to spare.

I can think of one nb that had a full size fold up bed.

But it folded up the side of the boat not the ceiling on hydraulic struts. Very nicely done too.Had straps on it so you could leave all the bedding in place and just flip it down when you were ready for bed.

Used it once or twice but just left it down the rest of the time as it saved me making the bed and it wasnt in my way anyhow ?

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Most motorhomes have them over the cab area or dining area where the predominant activity is sitting. Either whilst driving or when the front seats are spun 180 degrees to face the dining table.

In a narrowboat where passage along its full length is normally required it would requiring a degree of crouching as one passes through. I suspect that isnt deemed acceptable.

Not necessarily, it depends on the width of the bed.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Not necessarily, it depends on the width of the bed.

OK.

8 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I can think of one nb that had a full size fold up bed.

But it folded up the side of the boat not the ceiling on hydraulic struts. Very nicely done too.Had straps on it so you could leave all the bedding in place and just flip it down when you were ready for bed.

Used it once or twice but just left it down the rest of the time as it saved me making the bed and it wasnt in my way anyhow ?

Conversely Swift introduced a caravan with exactly that arrangement. You could fold it up to the wall, made up, leaving loads of space during the day, which is at much more of a premium in a 7 metre box than it is in a 57ft nb.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Conversely Swift introduced a caravan with exactly that arrangement. You could fold it up to the wall, made up, leaving loads of space during the day, which is at much more of a premium in a 7 metre box than it is in a 57ft nb.

This was done in a 48ft cruiser stern Nb -so not masses of cabin space but gave you a really nice big empty area in the front cabin if you wanted to do something that you couldnt otherwise do on a dinette.

I suggested this to a builder (can’t remember which) at the Crick Show 3 years ago.

It would require more headroom than available as standard and that may be the real issue (unless, of course, you were short of stature?). 

Ian

26 minutes ago, Bigtwin said:

I suggested this to a builder (can’t remember which) at the Crick Show 3 years ago.

It would require more headroom than available as standard and that may be the real issue (unless, of course, you were short of stature?). 

Ian

Or didn't require a boat that would go under lots of bridges or through lots of tunnels.

Edited by The Happy Nomad