River Lea vs Grand Union in Herts

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Hi, I am going to be CC in the near future. Hopefully. I will need to be within close commutable distance to The Big Smoke. Where would you recommend I base myself - Berkhampstead, Ware, Watford (Grand Union) or Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Strawbridge  (River Lee/Stort). Or would you recommend somewhere else entirely. It would be good to be not too far from stations while maintaining the country idyll as best as possible. Thanks so much, Matt. 

22 minutes ago, Porcupine said:

Hi, I am going to be CC in the near future. Hopefully. I will need to be within close commutable distance to The Big Smoke. Where would you recommend I base myself - Berkhampstead, Ware, Watford (Grand Union) or Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Strawbridge  (River Lee/Stort). Or would you recommend somewhere else entirely. It would be good to be not too far from stations while maintaining the country idyll as best as possible. Thanks so much, Matt. 

Speaking for the general Watford area I think you're about 5 years too late. These days people moor anywhere often in totally inconsiderate places. 

Edited by Slim
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Hi, I am going to be CC in the near future. Hopefully. I will need to be within close commutable distance to The Big Smoke. Where would you recommend I base myself - Berkhampstead, Ware, Watford (Grand Union) or Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Strawbridge  (River Lee/Stort). 

If you're going to be a CCer and you want to be commutable to London then yes I would recommend all of those places within the same year.

The whole point of being a CCer is that you don't "base yourself" anywhere.

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We left that area in 1987. Too busy. And we had a residential mooring. Just wasnt fun being there.

I was CCing on the southern GU in the late 90s for a few years and it was still fine. Plenty of places to moor and some really quiet areas if you wanted to find them. I had a long term mooring at Batchworth for a short while but left as I couldn't really see the point of it back then. It was so easy to moor in quieter places. Not now though.

Edited by blackrose

19 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Best choices would be either a mooring or a flat, all of those areas reached capacity + long ago, you would be adding to an existing problem and if you enjoy boating you certainly wouldn't enjoy doing it there.

• Greenie 3

It will be interesting to see what happens after the pandemic releases its grip on the country. The economy is going to take a big hit from the double whammy of covid and Brexit, but also cities may not be quite the same. Some people will come back to commuting but lots of businesses have now realised that a significant proportion of its employees can continue working from home. That should lead to a reduced demand for office space, for people wanting to live and work in cities, and in turn a reduction in the service sector servicing those businesses and commuters. Some of those continuous moorers in and around London might find that they no longer need to be there... 

• Greenie 1