Longest time with the same berth. And how the cost of moorings have increase.

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Next month, 20 years will have passed since arriving at Foxes in 2001. In all that time I have had the same berth. In 2001 I was paying £62 per month

for a 48ft berth, Now with this years increase £157 per month.

Has anyone had the same berth longer?

How much has your mooring cost increased since you arrived?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Next month, 20 years will have passed since arriving at Foxes in 2001. In all that time I have had the same berth. In 2001 I was paying £62 per month

I have had a mooring with our club since Oct 2011, albeit they have moved us all about over the years. I can’t remember what it cost then, nor what it costs now, but I’ll see what I can find.

2.5 times doesn’t seem an inordinate increase over 2 decades, but maybe I’m out of touch.

• Greenie 1

We have been on the same berth at Burton Waters for 13 years.

When we first moored there is was £1050 per year. This year it was £1600.

The marina have agreed to fix prices for their long term moorers for the next 5 years with no more increases. No use to us now though :rolleyes:

We have moored with Aylesbury Canal Society since 1982.  We are not their longest standing moorers. We did have to move en masse from the town basin to Circus Field when BW once again demonstrated their ability to simultaneously 'develop' and spoil the end of an Arm.

Our first mooring quarterly payment was £96 and we are now paying over £500.

At my boat club [ The Middle Nene Cruising Club ] the mooring fees for my 45 ft narrowboat were  £35 in 1991, I still have the same boat and mooring ,  last year the fees were £240. Club membership fees obviously need to be added to that. 

48 minutes ago, Batavia said:

Goodness, was it really that cheap in the early days?!?

Yep it was still the boat club in those days, only JW (what a gentleman he was) moored  above the lock they laid a new mooring for me. No power or water to the moorings, JW gave me power from his house a 200yard extension cable.?

Six months after I arrived all change and this year it's changed again. I think I had the best years

10 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

According to  the Bank of England. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator, the inflation rise from £62 in 2001 should be £104.87 in 2020, so well above inflation at £157.

51 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You'll love this. When we first moored at our club in 2011 fees were £10 per foot per year. We now pay £6.40 per ft per year that's £365 for us. I'm embarrassed to pay the invoice.

Of course as moorings officer you can charge yourself what you like!  (That was a joke, BTW.  I'm sure everything is absolutely above board).  Makes me wish I'd taken up your invitation to moor there a few years ago.

• Haha 1

Now been at our Boat Club for 31 years, Wolverhampton, where there is a choice of 4 routes within 1 mile. Currently pay about £1K per annum. up from around £450. The seniority of moorings improves as people leave, and I'm now the longest serving moorer.  All of the last few leavers left not only their moorings, but their place in this world, so let's not dwell on this too much.

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

The seniority of moorings improves as people leave, and I'm now the longest serving moorer.  All of the last few leavers left not only their moorings, but their place in this world, so let's not dwell on this too much.

In a similar way, as people leave our club, you get to move closer to the gate. I have declined any offers to move closer to the gate, as those next to the gate, or close to it, don't seem to survive for long thereafter.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

According to  the Bank of England. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator, the inflation rise from £62 in 2001 should be £104.87 in 2020, so well above inflation at £157.

I bet the BW/CRT access charges have increased by more than that - and it will be included in the mooring fees.

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I bet the BW/CRT access charges have increased by more than that - and it will be included in the mooring fees.

No access charges on the Middle Level, but the annual increase has became steeper after Charle departed on his last cruise across the River Styx.  

12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I believe that the access charges have remained at 9% of mooring (full capacity) income since it was first introduced, so, BW / C&RT get an increase every time the moorings provider increase their charges.

The NAA documents I have are dated 2005 (from when we were looking to buy a marina) and state that the contract will remain in force for 150 years so I'd assume that it would include all of the conditions stated.

• Lasts for a period of 150 years from a date that anticipates the date of connection.

• Has a standard payment to CRT of 9% of the gross mooring capacity multiplied by the mooring rate (net of VAT) charged at the marina. This will be paid by equal 3 monthly payments in advance. It will be reviewed annually to reflect any increases in the marina mooring rate. Interest is payable on late payments. • The payment will be phased in as follows. 1st year no payment, 2nd year 50% capacity, 3rd year 100% capacity

Edited by Alan de Enfield

We've been on the same moorings since 1998.  At that time I was paying £1484 p.a.  Today I'm paying £2846 p.a.

This seems a huge increase until you allow for the effect of inflation over the past 21 years.

According to the Bank of England Inflation Calculator, goods or services worth £1484 in 1998 would cost £2670 today. 

So CaRT is charging me about £176 p.a.  more than would have been accounted for by inflation.  Not bad at all.

eta.  I see Mike Todd has done a similar exercise. Only just read his post :)

Edited by koukouvagia

On 22/02/2021 at 08:45, Loddon said:

I arrived at BEM in April 1994 the cost was £640 a year, we left in March 2019 and the cost was £4500 a year.  Three different boats during that time but the same mooring.

Having looked back there is a slight addendum to the above:

It was £640 a year plus the offside mooring fee so from memory about £1000  and £4500 including the fee.

So not as big a rise as it appeared at first.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that the access charges have remained at 9% of mooring (full capacity) income since it was first introduced, so, BW / C&RT get an increase every time the moorings provider increase their charges.

The NAA documents I have are dated 2005 (from when we were looking to buy a marina) and state that the contract will remain in force for 150 years so I'd assume that it would include all of the conditions stated.

• Lasts for a period of 150 years from a date that anticipates the date of connection.

• Has a standard payment to CRT of 9% of the gross mooring capacity multiplied by the mooring rate (net of VAT) charged at the marina. This will be paid by equal 3 monthly payments in advance. It will be reviewed annually to reflect any increases in the marina mooring rate. Interest is payable on late payments. • The payment will be phased in as follows. 1st year no payment, 2nd year 50% capacity, 3rd year 100% capacity

That's the great thing about marina moorings; you get to pay your licence fee, and an access fee ; Licence plus premium. Mooring isn't free, either. 

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

That's the great thing about marina moorings; you get to pay your licence fee, and an access fee ; Licence plus premium. Mooring isn't free, either. 

I have never been charged an access fee.

I receive my mooring bill but thats all.

Just as a matter of interest I don't receive a seperate bill for water, toilets, maintenance of roads or pontoons, staff salaries, etc - they are just the Marinas 'costs of doing business' alongside the NAA.

The NAA cost is exactly the same irrespective of the marina being full or empty - if it was paid as a seperate amount, & I was the only one in the marina, I could end up paying £100,000 per annum.