Difference between Tempest/Captain and BMC 1.5 Captain

walli

Featured Posts

Hello Forum,

I could really use your help again.

Living in Hamburg its hard to get BMC engines, parts etc. Someone fairly nearby is offering a BMC Tempest / Captain in ebay (https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/anzeigen/s-detailansicht.html?adId=1621890588)

I have a BMC 1,5 litre Captain engine in my Sail boot, which is again and again giving me troubles. (see earlier Posts).

I have heard of the Captain 1,5 and of the Tempest 1,5 or 2,5 but never heard of a Tempest/Captain. (see picture)

Can anyone tell me if the Tempest / Captain is the same engine as my 1,5 litre Captain.

How many horsepower does the Tempest / Captain have?

Will the parts all fit on my Captain 1.5?

It would really help me to make a purchase decision if I knew more about the engine.

Regards Doug

tempest.jpg

iOK, over the years the names have got confused/misused. The base engines are all the same and in that I include the J G Meaks and a variety of other marinisers. If we ignore the early direct raw water cooled variant the major difference will be in the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger and perhaps the thermostat housing. I have seen home fabricated manifolds but the choice is mainly between Polar and Bowman. Both are direct fits and can substitute for one another but Polar now seem to be defunct.

In fact there is no such engine as a BMC 1.5 Captain. The name Captain was applied by the official BMC marinisers so it might be a Newage captain who marinised before Tempest.

The engine in the link is an very one with a heat exchanger across the front of the engine and an exhaust manifold that was originally used on the direct raw water cooled units. With that heat exchanger cum thermostat hosing I am not even sure its an official marinisation but the colour seems to be correct for the Newage version. As far as I know the rear engine mounts are no longer obtainable.

I have seen the odd 1.5 with the mechanical DPA injector pump but most are the hydraulic version.

I am sure Calcutt Boats will export parts to you unless Brexit has screwed it up.

I doubt the manifold and thermoset housing will be the same on both engines (no photo of yours). With the age of the engines the internal parts, although they may look identical may well have been machined so internal parts may need to be kept as an engine set. The cylinders may have been bored out so the pistons will be larger and the crank may have been ground down so the bearings will be thicker.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

iOK, over the years the names have got confused/misused. The base engines are all the same and in that I include the J G Meaks and a variety of other marinisers. If we ignore the early direct raw water cooled variant the major difference will be in the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger and perhaps the thermostat housing. I have seen home fabricated manifolds but the choice is mainly between Polar and Bowman. Both are direct fits and can substitute for one another but Polar now seem to be defunct.

In fact there is no such engine as a BMC 1.5 Captain. The name Captain was applied by the official BMC marinisers so it might be a Newage captain who marinised before Tempest.

The engine in the link is an very one with a heat exchanger across the front of the engine and an exhaust manifold that was originally used on the direct raw water cooled units. With that heat exchanger cum thermostat hosing I am not even sure its an official marinisation but the colour seems to be correct for the Newage version. As far as I know the rear engine mounts are no longer obtainable.

I have seen the odd 1.5 with the mechanical DPA injector pump but most are the hydraulic version.

I am sure Calcutt Boats will export parts to you unless Brexit has screwed it up.

I doubt the manifold and thermoset housing will be the same on both engines (no photo of yours). With the age of the engines the internal parts, although they may look identical may well have been machined so internal parts may need to be kept as an engine set. The cylinders may have been bored out so the pistons will be larger and the crank may have been ground down so the bearings will be thicker.

The largest oversize on pistons is +60 Thou", if its already bored to this, you will not buy bigger pistons and the only answer is to expensively fit cylinder liners.

Hello Toni,

first of all thank you for the information.

I now understand, Thorneycroft, CT marine, JR Meaks, Tempest and Newage etc. are the ones that marinised the engine.

Exhaust manifold and heat exchanger are simular. Rear mounts seem to look better than mine.

To answer your questions, beside a picture here also a few numbers:

Numbers I found stamped on my engine:

1500 D / 15BB/V/D 2123 / B14E0 / 12H1999

Diesel Injection Pump:

DPA 3246E857 MOD / SER 47260 PM / Hydraulic

Heat Exchanger:

Bowman FH100 , 3182-2 , Date 11 82 , FH11

I have often obtained general maintenance parts from Calcutt Boats or ASSP, but things like exhaust manifold coolers, timing chain covers are hard to find. Injection pumps are also quite expensive.

I will buy the engine if the compression is good. Should it run well, I will replace mine, if not a good amount of spare parts will keep mine running a bit longer.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

motor_113.jpg

10 minutes ago, walli said:

Hello Toni,

first of all thank you for the information.

I now understand, Thorneycroft, CT marine, JR Meaks, Tempest and Newage etc. are the ones that marinised the engine.

Exhaust manifold and heat exchanger are simular. Rear mounts seem to look better than mine.

To answer your questions, beside a picture here also a few numbers:

Numbers I found stamped on my engine:

1500 D / 15BB/V/D 2123 / B14E0 / 12H1999

Diesel Injection Pump:

DPA 3246E857 MOD / SER 47260 PM / Hydraulic

Heat Exchanger:

Bowman FH100 , 3182-2 , Date 11 82 , FH11

I have often obtained general maintenance parts from Calcutt Boats or ASSP, but things like exhaust manifold coolers, timing chain covers are hard to find. Injection pumps are also quite expensive.

I will buy the engine if the compression is good. Should it run well, I will replace mine, if not a good amount of spare parts will keep mine running a bit longer.

Thanks for your help,

Doug

Looks like you are lucky with that find. Your heat exchanger is different to the other one with the integral thermostat housing (yours has a separate thermostat housing bolted to the heat exchanger) but I think they will be interchangeable.

I think an MGB timing cover might fit but thy had a single row chain, yours is twin row so it may not.