Here is a nice little Widebeam liveaboard.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Inside two-bedroom houseboat for sale at Brighton Marina | The Argus

Though it might not boast any office space, one of the most eye-catching is this two-bedroom houseboat in the Western Concourse at Brighton Marina (above and pictured throughout).

The vessel is fitted with a kitchen and wet-room, as well as a saloon with bi-fold doors that lead out to a deck overlooking the water.

A description on the Zoopla website reads: "This well-presented 28ft Marina Boat offers all you need for a Brighton bolthole by the sea.

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Inside a two-bedroom houseboat for sale at Brighton Marina Credit: Zoopla

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is rather jolly - though, as befits the area, not cheap. There is no mention of an engine, so it looks as if the buyer would be stuck with the same marina view.

I think the lack of a helm position is a give away.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/56261906

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is rather jolly - though, as befits the area, not cheap. There is no mention of an engine, so it looks as if the buyer would be stuck with the same marina view.

We looked at basing the Cat down at either Eastbourne (sister has an apartment in Eastbourne marina) or Brighton, but the mooring fees were rather high and very limited for a 'fat-boat', in fact, they said none were available. Few UK marinas accomodate 'big cats', with just an 'odd one or two' moorings on the hammerheads.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It has a "bio-digestor" toilet. I wonder what happens to the contents of that!

Thats the advantage of Bio-Digester over Composting :

Bio-digesters have three anaerobic chambers that treat human wastes effectively, and don’t require any cleaning or emptying the tank because of its unique systematic structural arrangements.

The treatment, the task of cleansing water is continuously carried forward from the start to the end point, till the water exits the bio-digester. When the treated water finally comes out from the bio-digester and into our irrigation pipelines (optional if required), it is 98% clean and free from entire pathogens.

What is a Bio Digester? - Pick My Toilet

• Greenie 1

Looks like a nice little alternative to bricks and mortar for someone wanting to live a differently. Certainly seems to have more usable inside space than a yoghurt pot type boat which is what most of the neighbours will be.

I might be biased, but Brighton is a great city and although a bit out of town, the marina is a suburb of it's own. If i were looking at moving back to Brighton I'd prefer this than a one bedroom flat in Kemp Town.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Bio-digesters have three anaerobic chambers that treat human wastes effectively, and don’t require any cleaning or emptying the tank because of its unique systematic structural arrangements.

The treatment, the task of cleansing water is continuously carried forward from the start to the end point, till the water exits the bio-digester. When the treated water finally comes out from the bio-digester and into our irrigation pipelines (optional if required), it is 98% clean and free from entire pathogens.

It was looking good till I read to the end and basicaly you still need piping to a mains sewer or a tank :huh:

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was looking good till I read to the end and basicaly you still need piping to a mains sewer or a tank :huh:

I dont think it does.

Basically it is exactly the same chamber-system as our commercial seawage treatement plant but incorporated into a single toilet. Ours has a number of toilets, and grey water connected to it.

The reason that we have to have our solids emptied is the fact that bleach and washing powder etc (via the grey water) kills off the bugs that eat the solids.

If it was simply toilet(s) connected then it is suposed to never require emptying.

The article suggests that you can pipe-it into an irrigation system for watering plants etc.

In this case the water output is probably far cleaner than the 'grey water' running out into the marina from the boats.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

Maybe its me but I see no point in living afloat if you cant actually use the boat to move...be that a widebeam on a narrow canal or a boat like this on the sea...you may as well have a static caravan or a lodge etc. If I had a mooring there Id want at something I could at least nip along the coast on a calm day.

• Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The reason that we have to have our solids emptied is the fact that bleach and washing powder etc (via the grey water) kills off the bugs that eat the solids.

And then there's the sweetcorn if Royal Navy sewage treatment plants are anything to go by...

• Horror 1

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I dont think it does.

Basically it is exactly the same chamber-system as our commercial seawage treatement plant but incorporated into a single toilet. Ours has a number of toilets, and grey water connected to it.

If it was simply toilet(s) connected then it is suposed to never require emptying.

The article suggests that you can pipe-it into an irrigation system for watering plants etc.

In this case the water output is probably far cleaner than the 'grey water' running out into the marina from the boats.

So will they be legal on inland waterways to discharge intut canal? Would be awesome if they are?

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A couple of properties in the village have them, you would need another boat that size to mount them in

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So will they be legal on inland waterways to discharge intut canal? Would be awesome if they are?

That decision is beyond my pay-grade, but I'd suggest that it may be worth anyone considering composting to discuss with the authorities the possibility of Bio-Digester.

One issue would the the space taken by the 3-chambers. On the 'house-boat' I'd assume it is down below the floor in the pontoon floats. A facility not available on most canal boats.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A couple of properties in the village have them, you would need another boat that size to mount them in

Looks like its still the tried and tested cassette/pumpout sytems yet then.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is ours, but is is a '55-person commercial unit'

It does require 'leccy to keep the spray booms rotating - no ide if that would apply to the smallr 'boat-sized' ones.

22-5-06b.JPG

Edited by Alan de Enfield

22 minutes ago, frangar said:

Maybe its me but I see no point in living afloat if you cant actually use the boat to move...

I tend to agree. I wouldn't want it. But for someone seeking a pleasantly-situated weekend or holiday home within easy reach of the (in normal times) vibrant towns of Brightner Nove, it will have appeal.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We looked at basing the Cat down at either Eastbourne (sister has an apartment in Eastbourne marina) or Brighton, but the mooring fees were rather high and very limited for a 'fat-boat', in fact, they said none were available. Few UK marinas accomodate 'big cats', with just an 'odd one or two' moorings on the hammerheads.

Sell it and get a Narrowboat, you can moor them anywhere ? 

34 minutes ago, frangar said:

Maybe its me but I see no point in living afloat if you cant actually use the boat to move...be that a widebeam on a narrow canal or a boat like this on the sea.. 

But lots of people do, just look in any marina

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sell it and get a Narrowboat, you can moor them anywhere ? 

If I could have faced a few more years on the canals I wouldn't have sold the NB and bought a widebeam cruiser.

Whilst the 'anorexic' years have been enjoyable sometimes you just have to accept that change is required, and, I think evryone would agree that the NB's have limitations when it comes to widening your horizons.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But lots of people do, just look in any marina

I suppose its comparative to asking why do folks want to walk along a beach, countryside footpath or towpath when the majority have perfectly good walkways running alongside their house and thru the town / city ?

• Greenie 1