Associated Cruisers Wolverhampton , NB Victoria

Toe Rag

Featured Posts

I have a Harborough Marine narrowboat, 60ft GRP cabin, The Victoria.

When I showed a photo to Dennis Fellowes, aka Dennis the Blacksmith , he immediately said that she was originally a hire boat operated by Selwyn Jordan, Associated Cruisers based at the top of the Wolverhampton 21.

I can’t seem to find out anything about the boat or the company. Any info and photos would be of great interest to me.

Over to you guys.... 

91FAE0DA-5996-4112-9465-41346F6A9ECC.jpeg

I spent two weeks at Harborough Marine, April 76. I am sure Victoria was there at the time and would have been about a year old, it was not a hire boat then in fact the opposite, built to a higher standard and powered by a BMC 1.5 instead of the usual Lister. From memory the original gel coat colour of the  the cabin sides was a light green.

Did that end up at Ron Lloyd's Boatyard at the bottom of the 21 (now Oxley Marine)? They certainly had a Victoria - we hired it once to do the BCN Challenge. It made it about 500 yards into the Wyrley & Essington and gave up. The eponymous Ron said "if I'd known you were going that way I wouldn't have let you hire the boat", which struck me as an interesting attitude for a hire base in that location.

Interesting.... Victoria does have the 1.5 BMC and a PRM hydraulic box with it’s own coolant pump belt driven off the engine and skin tank on the swim. The engine skin tank is under the engine. 
The story I was told was that she was built for a bigwig at Rolls Royce.

Dennis also reckoned that she was based at cut end for a time.

Thanks for the information so far!