filter

haza

Featured Posts

Look for "Delphi 296 filter body " on the web.  You will also  need to buy the right fittings to suit 8mm pipe as the filter bodies are threaded (UNF I think) and ensure that you get an all metal one with a metal drain plug,  to ensure no BSS problems. 

That said, Midland Chandlers did sell replacement metal drain plugs if you accidentally get a plastic one.

N

CAV filter housing which takes a standard 296 filter. It will have to have a metal drain screw, for BSS, not plastic and you will need 1/2" unf male compression nuts and copper olives for 8mm copper pipe of course.

There are some old land rover ones on ebay but they will need new metal drains. 

3 hours ago, Captain Fizz said:

Something like this?

20938E24-4D3E-411C-9470-37B0ACE8E8AC.jpeg

About £15 from any decent plumbers merchant supplying oil fired boilers.

That one might have a spin on filter. Anyhow if it does have a replaceable paper element they are cheap as chips, about £1 each.

13 hours ago, luggsy said:

We have a fuel guard fitted not the cheapest but you never have to replace it as it has a washable filter and you can see straight away if there is any water/ muck in it as it is a clear bowl 

But does your clear bowl, glass or plastic, pass a BSS inspection? I would think not.

35 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But does your clear bowl, glass or plastic, pass a BSS inspection? I would think not.

YES.

Certain models have been tested and approved by the BSS. The Vetus is one such filter, this is their 'blurb' taken from the BSS website.

Vetus claims that all its UK distributed filters/separators have been certified as having an intrinsic fire resistance of at least 2.5 minutes at 600˚C and as such meet the fire resistance requirements of BSS checks 2.12.2 & C2.16.2 for filters installed in engine spaces.

There is also a list of other approved filters.

More examples :

The BSS Office has reviewed this declaration and it indicates that the Fuel - Guard products listed below meet the requirements of BSS Check 2.12.2 [2013] and C2.16 [2002] Are all fuel filters inside engine spaces fire resistant?

Having a clear bottom of the filter is advantageous as it allows you view the state of the fuel.

It is worth keeping up to date on the legislation as it is easy for knowledge to become out of date resulting in poor advice, and, for the person asking the question, it is always worth doing their own investigations to confirm the information provided by 'some guy on the internet' is actually correct.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Mr. Pedant strikes again I have been told, I no long read his posts. He just can't help himself, he is stalking my posts!

No, I am correcting your errors.

You have an excellent engineering knowledge and years of experince of BMC engines, unfortunately your skills in electric cables, fuel filters & the BSS  and some other areas is a little out of date.

Is the filter in question for a diesel stove in the engine room or elsewhere? 

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Check 2.12.2 [2013] and C2.16 [2002] Are all fuel filters inside engine spaces fire resistant?

Having a clear bottom of the filter is advantageous as it allows you view the state of the fuel.

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is the filter in question for a diesel stove in the engine room or elsewhere? 

The discussion about the glass-bottom filter was nothing to do with Haza's requirement.

15 hours ago, luggsy said:

We have a fuel guard fitted not the cheapest but you never have to replace it as it has a washable filter and you can see straight away if there is any water/ muck in it as it is a clear bowl 

To which Tracy said "does it meet the BSS - I doubt it"

I then pointed out that infact it does, and it is easy to confirm as it is listed as acceptable in the BSS documentation.

That the response suggested I was being pedantic and was a stalker.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK so if its not in the engine area can it be glass bowled ?

You would need to ask the BSS.

I would assume if a glass bowled one is suitable for use in a high-risk engine compartment it should be OK outside of the engine compartment.

The BSS says nothing on the subject - maybe they don't know that people use fuel filters outside of the engine compartment, or, they don't see any need to legislate for it.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK so if its not in the engine area can it be glass bowled ?

I understand the answer is yes, but its not so much the glass bowl but its ability to resist fire. I have seen them passed on a cruiser stern boat with a sound proofed engine box, the filter was outside that box but in what would normally be the engine bay. Not that I would have one though, too prone to spontaneous shattering.

How much 'head' does your fuel supply have to the fire, and how far away is the fire from the tank? On my bubble stove, I have a Crosland 489 which is identical to the green one in the earlier pictures. I run it however without an element inside as once it gets wet, it becomes resistive. The throughput of fuel is so low that any contaminant will sink to the bottom of the bowl and never reach the fire as long as it is cleaned out as often as you would change a filter. 

A heating merchant that sells oil equipment will also have small aluminium filters with a washable element that would also suffice.

https://www.hwos.co.uk/tradestore/oil/oil-tanks-line-spares/aluminium-oil-filter-14-f-with-mesh-element-of14.

These are easily servicable as they spin on and take standard 1/4 bsp fittings.