Guidance for visitors to the Fenland Waterways

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

Just now, nickhindle said:

Very good document - I promise never to use the term "Middle Levels" again ?

That's good.  I made this mistake in a talk I gave on Zoomland last week, but I don't think many people noticed.  Next you can visit the South level and the North level.

17 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Typed on me phone I guess  @Athy needs the capital letter ;)

And I didn't check before sending :(

I thought perhaps you had borrowed my boxing gloves!

I usually check my posts before sending them but still frequently see what I thought I wrote rather than what I actually wrote! ?

First of the new moorings being built, is this by the first bridge by the entrance or the second bridge up Yaxley Lode?  If its the second that's a mile to reverse?

Looking at maps it might even be after the railway that 4 miles in reverse ?

span widgetspan widget

Edited by Loddon

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

First of the new moorings being built, is this by the first bridge by the entrance or the second bridge up Yaxley Lode?  If its the second that's a mile to reverse?

Looking at maps it might even be after the railway that 4 miles in reverse ?

span widgetspan widget

I'm pretty sure I can't get under Exhibition Bridge.  There are some plans for a water taxi from Yaxley to Woodwalton Fen.

9 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I'm pretty sure I can't get under Exhibition Bridge.  There are some plans for a water taxi from Yaxley to Woodwalton Fen.

So it is right at the end past the 5'1" clearance bridge? 

Useful mooring for boaters ?

I note it says in the small print that the Anglian Pass only covers vessels registered with EA Anglian, the Middle Level or Cam as their home waters. Which suggests that anyone visiting from CRT 'home' waters (or elsewhere for that matter) will not be covered for the Cam. Is that really the intention?

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I note it says in the small print that the Anglian Pass only covers vessels registered with EA Anglian, the Middle Level or Cam as their home waters. Which suggests that anyone visiting from CRT 'home' waters (or elsewhere for that matter) will not be covered for the Cam. Is that really the intention?

Yep as I understand it-its there in black and white as Pearley said it would. Gold licence holders can get the pass though.

How can you not have a Visitors licence?

Im pretty annoyed as an EA reg holder that it could cost me £100 for a day or two. Seems like that is actually the better deal though..

50 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Yep as I understand it-its there in black and white as Pearley said it would. Gold licence holders can get the pass though.

How can you not have a Visitors licence?

Im pretty annoyed as an EA reg holder that it could cost me £100 for a day or two. Seems like that is actually the better deal though..

Discussions are continuing behind the scenes on the position for CRT licence holders ! I will update the website again when the position becomes clearer.  I am also trying to get some definitive information on MLC visitor licences.   Thanks to all for their comments. 

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

@Scholar Gypsy - Did you see the Cam Con have put the 21/22 reg fees up on their site? (Guess you have but just in case)

Seems Pearley was very right. Cams going to be quiet now.

Thanks, yes the debate has kicked off on the Cam Boaters facebook group.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Discussions are continuing behind the scenes on the position for CRT licence holders ! I will update the website again when the position becomes clearer.  I am also trying to get some definitive information on MLC visitor licences.   Thanks to all for their comments. 

I would love it if there was a simple visitor licence for CRT people, with a similar cost to the Avon licence, covering all 3 waterways.  £70 per month is the most I would consider paying.  I would imagine many others would be put off by these extremely high costs and complicated arrangements.  My best best would be a Gold licence and another £100 for the Anglian thingy which would cost many hundreds.

6 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I would love it if there was a simple visitor licence for CRT people, with a similar cost to the Avon licence, covering all 3 waterways.  £70 per month is the most I would consider paying.  I would imagine many others would be put off by these extremely high costs and complicated arrangements.  My best best would be a Gold licence and another £100 for the Anglian thingy which would cost many hundreds.

Yes, that would be nice. 

However an EA visitor licence on its own is £270 a month, for a 50 foot narrow boat, so I fear you will be disappointed.  The complexities of switching licences between EA (1 April to 31 March) and Gold (1 Jan to 31 Dec) are one of the reasons why I have had a gold licence for the last 10 years....

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

We had a Gold licence it preparation for visiting the Anglian Waterways and the Thames last year, obviously it was a waste on money as it turned out and we only did the Thames, but the point is you need to have at least 2 months on EA waters for a Gold licence to be worth while.  So I think there is still a big place for a visitor licence to the Anglian waterways, as many people are only going to want a couple for weeks to do the Nene, or perhaps a month to do the Nene and the Gt Ouse.

Perhaps in 2022 we may try again to go east, but for me for this year potentially throwing more money away it too risky.

8 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, that would be nice. 

However an EA visitor licence on its own is £270 a month, for a 50 foot narrow boat, so I fear you will be disappointed.  The complexities of switching licences between EA (1 April to 31 March) and Gold (1 Jan to 31 Dec) are one of the reasons why I have had a gold licence for the last 10 years....

I thought it was really easy to switch.  When you switch to Gold you get refunded for the time left on the CRT licence.  Switching back to a CRT one you just do when the Gold is coming up for renewal at the end of the year.  All just a few clicks on the licencing site and you are done and the new licence is there to print off.