New Solid state batteries on the horizon.

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It will be a few years yet. Based on the picture above, Toyota have still got to develop seats, doors, windows, a roof and all the rest of the car. It won't be a practical solution till they do. That's the trouble with announcing a new technology too early.  ?

Those batteries look uncomfortable to sit on for long journeys and there doesn't seem to be any way to steer.

I'll take a wild shot here...you're still a proud owner of L.A. batteries?

16 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It will be a few years yet. Based on the picture above, Toyota have still got to develop seats, doors, windows, a roof and all the rest of the car. It won't be a practical solution till they do. That's the trouble with announcing a new technology too early.  ?

Those batteries look uncomfortable to sit on for long journeys and there doesn't seem to be any way to steer.

my main concern is that there is no visible means of retaining the springs and shocks.  That will make it doubly uncomfortable to sit on those batteries.

• Haha 2

Just now, Murflynn said:

my main concern is that there is no visible means of retaining the springs and shocks.  That will make it doubly uncomfortable to sit on those batteries.

And the lack of ground clearance from the suspension being bottomed out all the time means the batteries are going to be damaged by the first speed bump.

2 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

Our Technology in batteries is moving forward again. Soon Solid state batteries will be offered in Mobiles and cars. I think there will obviously be a spin off for boaters down the road as well.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And the lack of ground clearance from the suspension being bottomed out all the time means the batteries are going to be damaged by the first speed bump.

perhaps the batteries could be piled up together so they form a comfortable bucket seat?     maybe use the pin art process?

psx_20200914_200711.jpg

I really wouldn't hold your breath waiting for new battery technology like this to arrive. Nuclear fusion with small boat sized reactors is the way forward and this will be available within the next 30 years ?

.............Dave

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

I really wouldn't hold your breath waiting for new battery technology like this to arrive. Nuclear fusion with small boat sized reactors is the way forward and this will be available within the next 30 years ?

.............Dave

Diesel powered boats will be banned in 2050, so that works out just nicely! ?

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not seen it yet. What has he got? Is this as well as the moggy pick up, or instead of?

As well as the moggy used to be mine same as the Alfa, he is going to turn it into a mobile bar, solar on the roof and all sorts of goodies 

10 hours ago, alistair1537 said:

I'll take a wild shot here...you're still a proud owner of L.A. batteries?

What is wrong with L. A. batteries?  I have a set, I am a summer boater who (when allowed) cruises between April and October.  I generally move 3 days out of 5 usually about 3 hours cruising. I have 600 watts of solar. I never have battery problems they never go below 75% Soc and they are cheap and easy to maintain. If I was a livaboard who moved for a hour every 14 days, year round, then lithium batteries are a no brainer must have. Chose what suits your application/lifestyle.

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Detling said:

What is wrong with L. A. batteries?  I have a set, I am a summer boater who (when allowed) cruises between April and October.  I generally move 3 days out of 5 usually about 3 hours cruising. I have 600 watts of solar. I never have battery problems they never go below 75% Soc and they are cheap and easy to maintain. If I was a livaboard who moved for a hour every 14 days, year round, then lithium batteries are a no brainer must have. Chose what suits your application/lifestyle.

Yep and a liveaboard on hook up then LA every time and if a liveaboard that moves every day then LA again especialy with solar back up. The difference in cost is vast for no benefits to many.

48 minutes ago, Detling said:

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep and a liveaboard on hook up then LA every time and if a liveaboard that moves every day then LA again especialy with solar back up. The difference in cost is vast for no benefits to many.

I'd check your enthusiasm...LiFePO4 prices are comparable to L.A. now. The benefits of shorter charge times; greater depth of discharge - or user capacity; and superior charge cycle life, plus maintaining charge levels virtually indefinitely, is not to be dismissed.

10 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

I'd check your enthusiasm...LiFePO4 prices are comparable to L.A. now. The benefits of shorter charge times; greater depth of discharge - or user capacity; and superior charge cycle life, plus maintaining charge levels virtually indefinitely, is not to be dismissed.

So I can get 440 amp hours of lithiums for less than four hundred quid new? or are we talking used? can I straight fit/swop them in to my existing system with no other kit needed straight into the outside underfloor engine bay at minus ten etc?  If the answer is yes then please  point me where and how.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

So I can get 440 amp hours of lithiums for less than four hundred quid new? or are we talking used? can I straight fit/swop them in to my existing system with no other kit needed straight into the outside underfloor engine bay at minus ten etc?  If the answer is yes then please  point me where and how.

No.

1 minute ago, alistair1537 said:

No.

Agreed. Being honest LA batteries are absolutely fine if used within their limits. There is a reason why the vast majority of boats use tried and tested systems such as Pump out or cassette toilets and not composting, why most have solid fuel stoves for heating and diesel engines for propulsion and LA batteries because they simply work and have stood the test of time. I looked at Lithium and the cost to change on the present boat is astronomical and the benefits to my lifestyle minimal. If I were on a mooring without lectric hook up and didnt move much I would probably fit some but as Detling says for many they do a brilliant job for much much less money.

3 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

The cost of L.A. v LiFePo4 is not in dispute. The economics are.

So if you lay out xyz pounds in fitting lithium how long do you then have to own that particular boat to make it economicaly viable? I am selling this boat this year and have always kept my boats on average only 4 years as boating need differ, being tied by cost to a particular set of consumables is just another uneeded complication.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So if you lay out xyz pounds in fitting lithium how long do you then have to own that particular boat to make it economicaly viable? I am selling this boat this year and have always kept my boats on average only 4 years as boating need differ, being tied by cost to a particular set of consumables is just another uneeded complication.

I am not selling my boat. I spent around 3k on my LiFePO4 system - batteries 24V 100A/h - 4 x 275W solar panels - 50A Solar charge controller - 100A BMS - 25A Battery Charger - 1600W generator and 3000W Inverter. I charge my batteries between 1 and 2 hours per day in winter - and never in Summer - I am not hooked to any shore power. Let me know your costs for your system and we'll compare charging times etc.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In the last 30 odd years we have had 18 boats and the last one we've had since 2015,

I don't even get the chance to replace a set of FLA's

110Ah FLA @ £60 each.

Edit to add :

We cruise most days (maybe occasonally have 2 or 3 days without moving) The batteries are charged 'for free'** as we are cruising.

Battery bank easily lasts 3 days and rarely drops below about 65% we have a single 170w Solar Panel.

** I do realise its not 'free' and fuel consumption will be fractionally increased when charging.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1