Mikuni MX40 Air motor not available.

MartinW

Featured Posts

Apologies if I have started an unnecessary new post but I did look in the search results first. My non-functioning Mikuni MX40 was sent to Mellors for checking and they say that the air motor has gone and that parts are no longer available. MV confirm a lack of stock. I have contacted Ed Biers at four counties to see if he has any known good ones ad await his suggestions but most people seem to be offering a complete replacement (Webasto or MX60) configured to make installation as straightforward as possible. The (twin-coil calorifier) system as installed is very simple with just an on/off switch and no apparent thermostat except perhaps the overheat cut-out and no trvs on radiators. I expected to find a proportioning valve to split water and heating but I think that that s because I am used to domestic systems. Has the hive-mind any suggestions as to the most sensible way forward, and if TRV's (except the towel rail ) are a good idea whilst I have it drained down please?

These sort of evaporative heaters really dislike cycling (ie switching on and off over a relatively short time period). Thermostats cause cycling. TRVs cause cycling. So it’s best to have a heater that can be switched on for a few hours, switched off for a few hours etc.

As to the split between heating and calorifier, we have a couple of gate valves so we can adjust the relative flows but in fact having the calorifier permanently fed isn’t a big deal because once the tank is up to temperature, no more heat is transferred into it. And in summer, if you shut off the radiators and turn the heater on, the calorifier can’t absorb all the output for more than about 20 minutes after which the heater will start cycling. 

Edited by nicknorman