ENGINE OIL - Where can I dispose of used engine oil safely???

James H

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, smiler said:

1. Mark the can as "used engine oil"

2. Bring it back to the recycling depot after closing time, check for cameras and use a disguise if needed(face masks are quite popular nowadays)

3. Place can against the entrance gate and leave.

It's not that difficult really.

Except if caught you will be fined for fly tipping. Cameras can be very well hidden.

39 minutes ago, pearley said:

The HWRC at Middlewich allows you to walk in and even has moorings outside.

Not anymore they won't. I parked on the road outside and walked in to avoid congestion in the centre and was castigated and sworn at because I was walking in.

I  can't say I visit many marinas but the marina where I keep my boat and the maria down the road both have waste  oil tanks. So I assume that's quite common.

No doubt intended for berth holders but if you ask permission perhaps it will be permitted - perhaps buy some diesel or something first ?

1 hour ago, Mikexx said:

There is some interest in used oil for DIY operation of furnaces for melting aluminium and copper alloys.

Laplander's steam boiler ran on waste oil, Sean was always collecting it from friends.

After the engine change he wont have to ;)

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Will it ever have another engine?

He said it was getting a Semi Diesel whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

Will Sean still live in the engine hole? No more the cry of "it's like a bomb"

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not anymore they won't. I parked on the road outside and walked in to avoid congestion in the centre and was castigated and sworn at because I was walking in.

I went in July, walked up the exit ramp and asked if I could dump some oil and was directed to the tank.

Edited by pearley

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Some years ago I gave the local authority chapter and verse regarding their responsibility to take household refuse from me as they were withholding a permit as I didn't, at that time, have a V5 for my vehicle.

They relented after involving a local councillor and threatening to make a complaint to the Local Ombudsman..

The same must be true for stopping people visiting on foot. I would expect their policy could be reversed if pointed in the right direction. Not everyone has a car or a form of powered transport.

I think that if anyone were really serious about a green recovery they would mandate a national policy on recycling, from colour of bins to access to disposal centres. Most of the restrictions are a result of the individual contracts by local councils with Biffa et al, leading as was stated earlier, to the need to stop the 'Rubbish Reivers' popping over the border. I live in Kirklees but the nearest tips are in Bradford and Calderdale Authority. I have to travel further (Nearly into the Leeds Authority) to be told which items are no longer accepted, ceramics, rubble and old oil, for example. I was given Covid restrictions as the reason old oil was no longer accepted and ceramics and rubble because too many people were leaving them. This is on a site with number recognition and a need for a pass and a ban on trailers over a certain size. It has always confused me how the customer is dictated-to by the provider. each of the local authorities has a different number of and colour of bins, in some cases the opposite to each other.

The viability of recycling of a type of plastic,  for example, depends very much on the distance that the waste has to travel to be recycled. The answer surely has to be to build more recycling mills and work together rather than in splendid isolation. Rant over, but I know that people with more recycling industry experience than I inhabit this forum and so will soon tell my why I am mistaken.

• Greenie 1

On 19/02/2021 at 23:13, MartinW said:

I think that if anyone were really serious about a green recovery they would mandate a national policy on recycling, from colour of bins to access to disposal centres. Most of the restrictions are a result of the individual contracts by local councils with Biffa et al, leading as was stated earlier, to the need to stop the 'Rubbish Reivers' popping over the border. I live in Kirklees but the nearest tips are in Bradford and Calderdale Authority. I have to travel further (Nearly into the Leeds Authority) to be told which items are no longer accepted, ceramics, rubble and old oil, for example. I was given Covid restrictions as the reason old oil was no longer accepted and ceramics and rubble because too many people were leaving them. This is on a site with number recognition and a need for a pass and a ban on trailers over a certain size. It has always confused me how the customer is dictated-to by the provider. each of the local authorities has a different number of and colour of bins, in some cases the opposite to each other.

The viability of recycling of a type of plastic,  for example, depends very much on the distance that the waste has to travel to be recycled. The answer surely has to be to build more recycling mills and work together rather than in splendid isolation. Rant over, but I know that people with more recycling industry experience than I inhabit this forum and so will soon tell my why I am mistaken.

It never ceases to surprise me when my local council  Lancashire county council ( a rotten borough if there was ever one)  produce yet more rules on what you can take to the HWRC and then wring their hands about fly tipping....

It's not just what you can take but you mustn't be in a van   or have a twin axle trailer. When I turned up with a big single axle trailer they suddenly 'found' a rule that said they had to be less than 10 foot in length...

On my last visit I had about 15 litres of old engine oil (boat plus car) and they asked me not pour it into the tank but to leave the containers as they "poured it on top of the skips at the end of the day" 

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

my last visit I had about 15 litres of old engine oil (boat plus car) and they asked me not pour it into the tank but to leave the containers as they "poured it on top of the skips at the end of the day" 

It will make it burn better in the incinerator that produces electricity to light local homes ;)

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

It's not just what you can take but you mustn't be in a van   or have a twin axle trailer. When I turned up with a big single axle trailer they suddenly 'found' a rule that said they had to be less than 10 foot in length...

Ours has both those rules published on the website but dug one out of thin air when I turned up with an old minibus without seats. "It's a six wheeler, they aren't allowed".   OK I will reduce the number of the back axle making it a four wheeler.  " It will still be a six wheeler"   I asked where they learned to count.

I protested to the council afterwards and was told it was because of "congestion".   They couldn't explain how a long wheelbase Land Rover with virtually the same footprint was less congesting.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2021 at 18:18, smiler said:

1. Mark the can as "used engine oil"

2. Bring it back to the recycling depot after closing time, check for cameras and use a disguise if needed(face masks are quite popular nowadays)

3. Place can against the entrance gate and leave.

It's not that difficult really.

This is what happens when waste centres have too many rules.....

outside our waste centre there is a big pile of stuff where people come back out of hours and dump presumably what's been turned away during the day?

On 21/02/2021 at 18:25, jonathanA said:

It never ceases to surprise me when my local council  Lancashire county council ( a rotten borough if there was ever one)  produce yet more rules on what you can take to the HWRC and then wring their hands about fly tipping....

On my last visit I had about 15 litres of old engine oil (boat plus car) and they asked me not pour it into the tank but to leave the containers as they "poured it on top of the skips at the end of the day" 

Had a similar problem in London. I've got a short wheelbase Land Rover with a soft top. Probably holds about the same as a large estate car in the back. Went to the local dump with some scrap wood in the back and got turned away because it didn't have solid sides and I'd have to book a slot as a commercial vehicle. Did just that, came back the next day with the booking and someone else said it's a car and not a commercial vehicle so I couldn't come in. After a lot of arguing I eventually got in. 

Almost seems like they want to force people to fly tip so they can fine people and make more money...