Helmsman jobs

David HK

Featured Posts

I know that there are qualified  helmsmen that hire themselves to transfer boats but I am looking into hiring a couple of helmsmen to pilot a couple of 57 ft narrowboats around the northern canals on an educational project approx 6 - 9 months of the year inc school holidays. They would would effectively be boat managers responsible to the ( non travelling ) owner. The  "cargo" being school age children ( up to 12) and their 2 teachers ( who have discipline control over the children ) and would use the kids as crew teams.  Would suit a married / partnered couple and a maritime background might be an advantage, as the owner ( me! ), is an old salt getting too old for his own good.  Some idea of the cost to hire for  6 day working weeks paid as a monthly salary + bonus   would be very useful. Full accommodation and f&b provided gratis.

I see you are in Hong Kong, so you may not be aware of the rules and regulations in the UK regarding 'passenger carrying vessels', and if you are talking about 12 pupils + teachers per boat then that opens up a whole raft of additional legislation.

The authorities are very strict regarding the vessel specifications and requirements and similarly strict in the qualifications & experience of the skipper.

@mrsmelly may be able to provide more info as he was skipper on a river passenger carrying boat.

I believe the MCA "Maritime & Coastguard Agency" (A government department) would be the controlling authority, not the likes of C&RT.

If money is changing hands it becomes a commercial operation as opposed to a 'pleasure boat for immediate family & friends'

If more than 12 passengers1 are carried, irrespective of whether payment is made, the vessel is a “passenger ship” under UK Merchant Shipping regulations and needs to be appropriately surveyed and certificated. If more than 12 passengers are intended to be carried, the MCA must be contacted through the nearest MCA Marine Office2 . The local MCA Marine Office will provide guidance on the procedures and standards to be followed for a pleasure vessel intending to carry more than 12 passengers.

You may well be aware of all of this, if so, sorry to be 'teaching your granny to suck eggs'

It sounds a worthy project and hope you find what you are looking for.

Screenshot (197).png

Won't be 12 + 2 per boat. Total for the two boats would be 12 + 2 passengers.  Then additional 4 crew. 

Also, was already aware of the regs, thanks though. Ex RN living in HK and will return soon as we can get our ducks in a row and before the red menace intrudes into everyday life more than at present.