Boat stolen called Ruby

Oddjob

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was under the impression that you cannot insure anything that you do not own, or, have a financial involvement with.

Whilst not 'boaty' this is one of the Q&As on compare the market.com website.

Can I get a buildings insurance policy if I don’t own the property?

Only the owner of a property can buy the buildings insurance. If you’re not the building owner but you’re worried about appropriate buildings insurance, you can check with the building’s proprietor or landlord to check this cover is in place. 

You may well be able to get insurance cover without declaring your interest, or lack of, but would they actually pay out ?

There is a difference between insuring something and paying and insurance premium. You are insuring against your loss (inc any third party claims against you) not someone else's. You might only find that paying the premium bought you nothing when you make a claim, by then it is too late!

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My head is spinning reading this convoluted story 8n its various guises, to the point where I don't know who did what, where, when, what could have, or should have, or actually has happened and whether it was legal, whether the coppers are on the case or trying to keep out of it, or who the good guys and bad guys are, or even who the main protagonist is and where my sympathies should lie! :wacko:

I'm think I'm going to have to wait for the movie to come out and hope the screenwriter shortens the saga and makes it easier to understand! 

That's always the case in this sort of story. It's all speculation with no real information, and we never find out the end result, either.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's always the case in this sort of story. It's all speculation with no real information, and we never find out the end result, either.

I'm always left wondering if there's ever even been a case of a straightforward boat theft by a stranger! I'm sure there has been, but I can't remember reading about one that hasn't had a dispute somewhere at its heart.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The previous owner, if it's true that they dumped it on a waterpoint for weeks, didn't seem to be looking after it very well

Whilst it is true (according to me), I don't think it's really a factor for this (I mentioned it as a factor in jest, it's obviously not). There were two boats simultaneously blocking that waterpoint, and only one needed to move *shrugs*

I feel sorry if someone has bought it off them for 48k, my understanding is that Whilton had sold them a lemon (which makes me feel bad for them, of course).

Edited by Thomas C King

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm always left wondering if there's ever even been a case of a straightforward boat theft by a stranger! 

Those with long memories might remember the case of a boat called Que Sera Sera which was allegedly stolen and has never been found.

And there was the Middlewich Boats hire boat Holly which failed to return to base at the end of the hire period and was later found on (I think) the southern Oxford, having had its green and red cabin repainted blue. The chap was caught and prosecuted.

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

The crime number was genuine.

It's a Crime Reference Number - it makes no judgement on whether an actual crime has been committed only that someone believed that there had been one and referred it to the Police. The number is then used as an index for any subsequent activity.

Just now, Cheshire cat said:

There was also a boat stolen from Kings Bromley and eventually apprehended at Sandon or Weston. It had an unusual stern I seem to remember.The owner promised more info following the court case but I don't think they came back to us.

They never do

related but not so focussed perhaps.

As a newcomer to narrowboats, I'm frankly amazed that full boat thefts happen (as opposed to thefts from boats) - surely not the obvious candidate for a quick getaway, nor an environment to wander around undetected...???  Naive of me perhaps.......

5 minutes ago, agew said:

As a newcomer to narrowboats, I'm frankly amazed that full boat thefts happen (as opposed to thefts from boats) - surely not the obvious candidate for a quick getaway, nor an environment to wander around undetected...???  Naive of me perhaps.......

Truth is, 9 times out of 10, then alleged theft isn't quite true.  Proper theft of a canal boat is very rare.  To get away with it you'd probably need to be working in tandem with a boatyard with a covered dock.  Then pinch an unoccupied boat and get it into the dock before anyone knows its gone, and re-paint it.  Then lie low for a few months with it, before registering it as a new vessel and selling it. 

Most of the time it's disputed ownership, just like this example.

The rest of the time it's a drunken joy-ride and the boat is quickly recovered.

Edited by doratheexplorer

1 minute ago, agew said:

Yes, No, Maybe

"Proper" thefts are very rare. Ownership disputes (part paid for, or, divorce, etc etc) are not infrequent.

The full facts rarely come out, so if buying a boat 'buy the boat and not the story', do as much due dilligence as you can, pay cash, get a signed and witnessed Bill Of Sale and drive it away.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The last one I heard off it was stolen by a previous owner, so he knew his way around it. That was the one with the police chase

There was a sad back story to that one but he was convicted.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/sad-story-behind-slowest-police-4972527

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, agew said:

If you have a few hours to spare have a look here. A hire boat theft.

Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND! - Page 24 - General Boating - Canal World

Edited by Ray T

4 hours ago, agew said:

It's not that odd really. Most boat owners visit their boats rarely, maybe once or twice a year, some less. There are boats on my mooring that haven't moved for years, and could have been gone for ages before anyone missed them.

When I started boating, there was a story of a yard owner somewhere on the Shroppie who had noticed the owners never came and simply sold almost all the boats at his mooring and scarpered to Spain with the proceeds.

58 minutes ago, agew said:

Sad story (good to see balanced justice), and a saga, and obtaining pecuniary advantage ..... A good cross section - interesting thanks, A

Believe it or not some people are naive enough to enter into " Sales agreements " with people they dont even know for very substantial amounts of money. I dont know anything about this case but it smacks of someone who has actualy given the keys of their boat to someone before they had the full money for it in their hand. Once someone has possession of your property if you have voluntarily given them the keys its going to be extremely hard to prove theft of which several standards have to be met to fulfil the offence. Of course the bloke may have actualy given the whole 42k or whatever it is and realy own it???????????????????????????

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Believe it or not some people are naive enough to enter into " Sales agreements " with people they dont even know for very substantial amounts of money. I dont know anything about this case but it smacks of someone who has actualy given the keys of their boat to someone before they had the full money for it in their hand. Once someone has possession of your property if you have voluntarily given them the keys its going to be extremely hard to prove theft of which several standards have to be met to fulfil the offence. Of course the bloke may have actualy given the whole 42k or whatever it is and realy own it???????????????????????????

Wasn't there some fiddle to get round the rules on renting where you sold part of the boat to the tenant so they could legally say they own it and were not renting 

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Wasn't there some fiddle to get round the rules on renting where you sold part of the boat to the tenant so they could legally say they own it and were not renting 

I think that is/was ETRR's business model. Much cheaper to operate hire boats without having to pay for the extra cost hire licences, or provide the facilities, paperwork and procedures required to obtain an operator's license to get said hire licences.

Have you ever looked for a boat on the canal system? It  can be unexpectedly hard, even when you know which canal thrh are on, unless you have the time to walk the entire length. Doing it by car, say, can be very difficult even in urban areas but out in the sticks it can be all but impossible.