Boat stolen called Ruby

Oddjob

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Oddjob said:

Wife is sure she saw it on the Middlewich branch around bridge 24 day before yesterday. Canal closed at bridge 18 so not passed there but could have backed up into the T&M.

Hope its found soon.

Err??
How about giving us the full story.

Lets see how lokng this thread lasts.

The previous one(s) have been closed because of 'legal implications'

Summary :

Boat owner rented the boat out until they sold it

Boat rented out

A buyer bought boat, deposit paid

Buyer does a runner with the boat

Seller says not paid for.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The interesting point isn't really the story, sad though that's going to be for someone.

It's how on earth do you actually prove ownership of a privately sold narrowboat? I can see that if there's a broker involved, there are going to be proper contracts, but a private sale may well not have this, and I've certainly known many change hands on a handshake (including mine).  One on my old mooring got bought when a guy turned up with a suitcase full of fivers, gave it to the previous owner and drove the boat off. If someone nicked mine I simply couldn't prove anything - I'd have bits of paper showing I'd paid licences etc, but if they said they'd given me a few grand for it, what could I do?

I'd hope they'd give me the trombone back though.

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What's done is done, con men are very good at convincing people to  do silly things. 

Youre going to have to go with a civil prosecution to regain your £8 you paid for those fender hooks from the genuine boat buyers mate who saw all the documents whilst stood on the banks of the Soar on an essential journey from Marlow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Youre going to have to go with a civil prosecution to regain your £8 you paid for those fender hooks from the genuine boat buyers mate who saw all the documents whilst stood on the banks of the Soar on an essential journey from Marlow.

Maybe it took him that long to catch him with the replacement isolator key.

3 hours ago, Oddjob said:

Wife is sure she saw it on the Middlewich branch around bridge 24 day before yesterday. Canal closed at bridge 18 so not passed there but could have backed up into the T&M.

Hope its found soon.

Assuming there is only 1 currently alleged stolen boat called Ruby, it has confirmed sightings on the river Soar, Monday to Wednesday. Thought to be heading towards Lincoln.  In theory. Maybe.

I agree its time there was a more formal proof of ownership for boats, that is recorded and kept somewhere other than on said boat!

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 1

Evening all, 

im the legal owner of the boat and confirmed this with Leicester police and officer Emma Holmes from the rural team on Wednesday. No criminal act has happened on my side I’ve been the victim of a potential scam but have the paperwork and licensing in place. Licensing was confirmed in the presence of the police and Nick the local licensing officer for the CRT. I have started civil proceedings against the previous owner so won’t obviously go in to to much detail, but I have been informed if they attempt to enter the boat or remove the boat they will be committing a crime. I understand people try and make there own minds up but it’s just muddying that waters and adding more to the file for the police to have to spend time investigating. 

I’d also agree there should be something more substantial regarding ownership along the lines of a vc5 etc 

Edited by Granger
  • Greenie 3

It doesn't help you but might help someone else. I paid cash but did ask for a signed bill of sale. Templates are available online. It might not help in really complicated cases but it's better than nothing and does show you bought the boat from a particular individual who was claiming to own the boat and that was the full purchase price.

I did receive a bill of sale, it’s been shown to the police the previous owner in his original Facebook post states a contract was signed along with this post and others and contracts bank statements etc the police have agreed I’m the owner as far as there concerned. But if the previous owner has issue with anything he’s welcome to take legal advice and start a civil matter I’ll happily prove it in court. So many people have messaged me through Facebook etc with threats of taking it back or violence it’s really made me ill, I have early onset dementia and stage 1 Parkinson’s buying the boat was a means to spend the next few years while I could doing something I love. But I’m now honestly scared to be on board it’s become a witch hunt on social media. 

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

But (almost by definition) if it's stolen you didn't let it go, it was taken?

Not when you hand a stranger the keys and expect to be paid in instalments, over the next so many months. 

(Not saying this has happened in this case)

As is always said on here, boat theft is never as simple as it first appears.