Alternative brokerages in the Crick area?

OTL

Featured Posts

Hi All,

My partner and I are going to view a boat that we intend to purchase as a liveaboard sometime soon in the coming weeks. Apparently brokerages are permitted to opperate for the sake of liveaboards during the lock down.

We're currently based in Brighton but will be going up to Coventry to view this boat. This is obviously a very long way for one boat which we might not like the feel of in person. Can anyone suggest any other marinas in the Crick area aside from ABNB, Braunston Marina, New and Used Boats? I feel our options will be limited due to the pandemic.  All the big names seem to have little to offer in terms of choice.

Thanks very much

In addition to the ones you mention, Toll House Boat Sales, Crick Marina (Castle Boat Sales), Rugby Boats and Whilton Marina all offer boats for sale in close proximity to Crick.

Edited by GRLMK38

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Best of luck in your search. Good boats are still selling very fast so if you like it, jump in quick. It wont be there in 24 hours if it is good.

This will all change when I put my boat up for sale ?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Tonka said:

Is yours not a good boat then.

Its a great boat and will sell very quickly methinks. It will not sell the same day, as I bought a comfy boat and it seems tiny little 57 footers sell the best over the years Ive had dealings in them. My 70 footer sold well though as did my widebeam. I will go through a broker as I simply cant be arsed with tyre kickers and brokers are welcome to their money for just dealing with sunday afternoon dreamers and the like. To be fair boats have always sold well but at present like motorhomes etc are at a premium.

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

Therevis also Great Hayward Bost Sales at Wigram's Turn Marins, which is very close to Calcutt Marina.

I wouldn't bother. We tried to see a boat there a year ago and were told appointments were necessary and they could do one in 2 weeks time! The boat sales there has gone to the dawgs since Liam left. We got our first boat there when it was a good place to sell a boat.

33 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I wouldn't bother. We tried to see a boat there a year ago and were told appointments were necessary and they could do one in 2 weeks time! The boat sales there has gone to the dawgs since Liam left. We got our first boat there when it was a good place to sell a boat.

Surely it doesn't matter who the broker is? If they have the boat you want then get it from wherever it is. 

Otherwise you may miss the boat of your dreams simply because you don't like the broker.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely it doesn't matter who the broker is? If they have the boat you want then get it from wherever it is. 

Otherwise you may miss the boat of your dreams simply because you don't like the broker.

But we have been told on here several times that good boats are selling within days - or even, though it's hard to believe, within one day. So in two weeks' time, the one you were interested in could be gone.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

But we have been told on here several times that good boats are selling within days - or even, though it's hard to believe, within one day. So in two weeks' time, the one you were interested in could be gone.

If you register with as many brokers as you can, they will tell you when new stock is coming in, so you have a better chance of being the "early bird.

When we were looking for our current boat, 7 years ago, we did just that.

It paid off because the broker selling it advised us that it was available before it was advertised. We were the first people to see it, made  2 offers (1st was rejected) and bought it on the day it arrived at tbe brokerage.

On 18/02/2021 at 13:19, OTL said:

Hi All,

My partner and I are going to view a boat that we intend to purchase as a liveaboard sometime soon in the coming weeks. Apparently brokerages are permitted to opperate for the sake of liveaboards during the lock down.

We're currently based in Brighton but will be going up to Coventry to view this boat. This is obviously a very long way for one boat which we might not like the feel of in person. Can anyone suggest any other marinas in the Crick area aside from ABNB, Braunston Marina, New and Used Boats? I feel our options will be limited due to the pandemic.  All the big names seem to have little to offer in terms of choice.

Thanks very much

A fiend of mine bought a boat from ABNB some years ago. They were obsequious  to him when he visited to look for a boat, but once he had paid for the boat they made him wait months for all the paperwork. I went with him to give moral support and they were evasive and disinterested. Be aware that some of these brokers give NO after sales customer service. Once they have the dosh they lose all interest in you. I bought my boat off a broker but was lucky that they did actually care...but it was not near Crick

Just now, Athy said:

This might be true.....but how do you quantify a 'good boat' ? A broker will tell you that all boats are good..its what they do to make a living ! For a first time boater buyer its a minefield

3 minutes ago, markeymark said:

A fiend of mine bought a boat from ABNB some years ago. They were obsequious  to him when he visited to look for a boat, but once he had paid for the boat they made him wait months for all the paperwork. I went with him to give moral support and they were evasive and disinterested. Be aware that some of these brokers give NO after sales customer service. Once they have the dosh they lose all interest in you. I bought my boat off a broker but was lucky that they did actually care...but it was not near Crick

I bought and sold through ABNB in 1999 and the service then was excellent. It has had different owners since then though. 

1 minute ago, markeymark said:

This might be true.....but how do you quantify a 'good boat' ? A broker will tell you that all boats are good..its what they do to make a living ! For a first time boater buyer its a minefield

It wasn't brokers who were reporting these brisk sales, it was various CWDF members.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

It wasn't brokers who were reporting these brisk sales, it was various CWDF members.

Boats are indeed selling immediately. I spoke to the broker I use last month re selling mine and he cant get any boats and they all fly out. Like eveyything in life buying a boat is a risk. Snooze and you lose. A buyer in the hand is worth ten maybe buyers. Cash is King.

• Greenie 2