Alternative brokerages in the Crick area?

OTL

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

It wasn't brokers who were reporting these brisk sales, it was various CWDF members.

Many brokers have been advertising 'Boats wanted' as they have 'sold out' of stock.

But, lockdowns must currently be affecting activity to a greater or lesser extent.

Here is one :

https://www.rightboat.com/gb/boats-for-sale/narrowboats/urgently-wanted-for-brokerage-and-outright-purchase/rb290523

Narrowboats Urgently Required For Brokerage and Outright Purchase.
We have clients waiting for boats across the range Cruiser - Trad & Semi-Trad at all Lengths.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

25 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely it doesn't matter who the broker is? If they have the boat you want then get it from wherever it is. 

Otherwise you may miss the boat of your dreams simply because you don't like the broker.

In Jan 2020 we were looking for a better boat and rang Great Haywood about a boat at Wigrams. We were told no one could show us it for 10 days! ( or was it 2 weeks...no matter). That is not the way to run a business when boats were selling fast. I didn't want to wait 10 days as there were others to see straight away and this one could easily be sold while I waited. I think the problem was that there is no one in Wigrams selling boats now Liam has gone. When we put our boat up for sale we didn't put it with GHBS as we feared we would have no viewers. We put ourselves on GHBS's list in Dec 2019 and did not receive one call from them about possible boats. I think we are still on their list. We did pester them 3 or 4 times when we were actually looking but nothing back from them.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I spoke to the broker I use last month re selling mine and he cant get any boats and they all fly out. 

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That must be the Warwickshire Fly Boat Company.

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

In Jan 2020 we were looking for a better boat and rang Great Haywood about a boat at Wigrams. We were told no one could show us it for 10 days! ( or was it 2 weeks...no matter). That is not the way to run a business when boats were selling fast. I didn't want to wait 10 days as there were others to see straight away and this one could easily be sold while I waited. I think the problem was that there is no one in Wigrams selling boats now Liam has gone. When we put our boat up for sale we didn't put it with GHBS as we feared we would have no viewers. We put ourselves on GHBS's list in Dec 2019 and did not receive one call from them about possible boats. I think we are still on their list. We did pester them 3 or 4 times when we were actually looking but nothing back from them.

The opposite of my experience 7 years earlier, when all of the brokers I registered with were most attentive.

I guess they no longer need be attentive now that it is a sellers market.

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The opposite of my experience 7 years earlier, when all of the brokers I registered with were most attentive.

I guess they no longer need be attentive now that it is a sellers market.

I bought this boat from GHBS I look at all brokers including the much maligned Whilton as they also get good boats. I saw this boat after first ringing them and asking what they would accept for it cash the same day. They got back to me within an hour with a bottom price. I went to see it at 11am and paid full money for it at 1120am. A cracking good boat with a few minor points that I saw that needed addressing. The bloke I saw at the brokerage sat in his chair with sunglasses in his hair and should have had a Stetson on and have a horse tied up outside his GF was there a nice girl cant remember their names, this was 2015. Had I not known about boats I would probably have walked away as the cows droppings were all over the place. However I also saw the owner luckily who rocked up. No survey, never have, never will. Snooze and you lose. In 2015 boats were selling well but today is barmy. Looking at some of the prices lately I am not concerned re selling mine whatsoever as it will be very sensibly priced.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's OK up to 99

Change hands

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I bought this boat from GHBS I look at all brokers including the much maligned Whilton as they also get good boats. I saw this boat after first ringing them and asking what they would accept for it cash the same day. They got back to me within an hour with a bottom price. I went to see it at 11am and paid full money for it at 1120am. A cracking good boat with a few minor points that I saw that needed addressing. The bloke I saw at the brokerage sat in his chair with sunglasses in his hair and should have had a Stetson on and have a horse tied up outside his GF was there a nice girl cant remember their names, this was 2015. Had I not known about boats I would probably have walked away as the cows droppings were all over the place. However I also saw the owner luckily who rocked up. No survey, never have, never will. Snooze and you lose. In 2015 boats were selling well but today is barmy. Looking at some of the prices lately I am not concerned re selling mine whatsoever as it will be very sensibly priced.

Change hands

We had a similar experience in 2017 with GH and turned up a Wigrams without an appointment (which were required by them at the time), persuaded Liam to show us a boat and we had bought it 4 hours later. Very good service

Last year (in Jan) GH had no one on site and couldn't be arsed to send someone down for 10 days. When we sold our boat last year (in Feb), we did it through New and Used and they rang us the morning it went on t'tinternet saying can someone come round in 30 mins. The viewers were looking at 4 boats that morning. It was cold and wet. The wind was blowing the rain horizontally. The first 3 boats were empty ...so no fire and so cold and damp. We had the stove going in ours, toasty and warm. We had the offer on ours by the following morning. Very pleased with N&U.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We had a similar experience in 2017 with GH and turned up a Wigrams without an appointment (which were required by them at the time), persuaded Liam to show us a boat and we had bought it 4 hours later. Very good service

Last year (in Jan) GH had no one on site and couldn't be arsed to send someone down for 10 days. When we sold our boat last year (in Feb), we did it through New and Used and they rang us the morning it went on t'tinternet saying can someone come round in 30 mins. The viewers were looking at 4 boats that morning. It was cold and wet. The wind was blowing the rain horizontally. The first 3 boats were empty ...so no fire and so cold and damp. We had the stove going in ours, toasty and warm. We had the offer on ours by the following morning. Very pleased with N&U.

Nail on head. Whilst I will go for a broker so they can pee about taking piccies and deal with numpties I will be on board for prospective buyers so they will deal direct with me by passing the twoing and froing bullshit part. They will see everything working and be told how much the boat is there and then, this works every time. Buyers much prefer to see the owner and discuss the nitty gritty. The last boat the bloke wanted to ay me there and then and bypass the broker but I told him to deal with the broker, he immediately paid so everyone happy. I will not pit this up until march/april but fire will be on, not cold and damp ?