Cowroast "Flooding"

frangar

Featured Posts

I guess someone left the paddles open at Cowroast and its got a bit soggy towards Dudswell..... anyone know what's going on??

Notice Alert

Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Lock 46, Cowroast Lock
Ends At: Lock 46, Cowroast Lock

Wednesday 17 February 2021 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Please be aware, due to flooding the paddles at Cowroast lock (lock 46) will be locked until further notice. 

3 minutes ago, Batavia said:

I will ask a friend who lives in Dudswell if his house is underwater!

I was wondering if the basement at the lockhouse was full again....I know it used to flood if the lock was full when I moored down there 25 years ago....but Id hoped it was fixed now!

What you might find is the pound below the lock is emptying faster than normal overflow sluices from the top pound can replenish due to the great big gaps in the 2nd and 3rd lock down. All those CCers ending up falling out of bed in the night are opening the paddles to refill and going to sleep before closing them again. 

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Batavia said:

According to my man on the ground, there was flooding in Dudswell last night, with water getting into the gardens of houses on the south side of the village.

Blimey thats a fair amount of water! Amazed it didn't take the towpath out. Thanks for letting us know.

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Blimey thats a fair amount of water! Amazed it didn't take the towpath out. Thanks for letting us know.

The south side is the non-towpath side of Dudswell and the land there is a bit lower than the canal.  I suspect that the water went over the bank just above the lock, but my informant's message was lacking in detail! 

Just now, Batavia said:

The south side is the non-towpath side of Dudswell and the land there is a bit lower than the canal.  I suspect that the water went over the bank just above the lock, but my informant's message was lacking in detail! 

Ahh of course....I forgot the towpath moves sides there!.....Still lucky it didnt cause a full on breach!

21 minutes ago, Batavia said:

Apparently the incident caused flooding as far down as Billet Lane in Northchurch, so a fair volume of water must have been lost.

Blimey!! I wonder how much it dropped the summit pound? Does sound as if it’s lucky more damage wasn’t caused to either the canal infrastructure or local property