Lister petter lpw3 marine on narrowboat.

mikerob

Featured Posts

Is there an easy and simple way I can check if oil pump is working without removing it.

Just bought the boat oil pressure gauge either not working or no pressure. Wasn't connected up, I have found and checked the wiring but still nothing.

Keel cooled by the way

6 minutes ago, mikerob said:

Is there an easy and simple way I can check if oil pump is working without removing it.

Just bought the boat oil pressure gauge either not working or no pressure. Wasn't connected up, I have found and checked the wiring but still nothing.

Keel cooled by the way

Well, if the engine is not making horrible banging and clanging b=noises the oil pump is working, especially if the gauge has bee giving funny readings for a while.

When electric gauges give odd readings the usual first suspect is the sender unit.

If you want to check the pump remove the sender, hold the stop mechanism in the stop position and get someone to crank the engine. When you have cleaned the oil off yourself you will know its working.

• Greenie 2

I bought a boat with an oil pressure gauge connected by a length of plastic tubing to the tapping on the block. Engine ran well but gauge always showed zero pressure. But as it was mounted outdoors, unprotected from the weather and very rusty I assumed the gauge was non functional. On investigating, however, I found that someone had dropped a piece of lead shot into the engine fitting before screwing down the compression nut. And the reason for that was a split in the plastic tube. On removing the lead and replacing the tube, it all worked fine.

• Horror 1

Our Petter pd2 had a pressure gauge on the roof connected by copper pipe to the engine. One day I went down to the boat at Braunston light the stove and then started the engine. Went back in the cabin and when I came out I could see black oil running down the cabin side. It took a few moments to realise some b... had nicked the gauge.

• 1 month later...