Boat overnight stays....

robtheplod

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That is why it was so good at spreading the virus?

The scheme was designed to allow people to eat out safely. As I understand it, tables (and therefore diners) were widely spaced, and staff wore masks or face shields. So, with those precautions, it is surely unlikely that it contributed to the incidence of the virus, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

My whole industry is dead...not just me....If something isnt done soon lets hope you never want to go to a gig/theatre/conference/show etc ever again. 

The whole business of music making is in a disastrous state. Many orchestras may never play again, same goes for other bands. Not sure if there's a solution apart from starting from scratch, which is a fairly awful prospect. A musician who hasn't played for a year, however much you tty to maintain practice, is like a surgeon who hasn't operated in that time. You know the theory, but...

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The whole business of music making is in a disastrous state. Many orchestras may never play again, same goes for other bands. Not sure if there's a solution apart from starting from scratch, which is a fairly awful prospect. A musician who hasn't played for a year, however much you tty to maintain practice, is like a surgeon who hasn't operated in that time. You know the theory, but...

Its not just the musicians....the whole support industry is falling apart....skilled techs are now driving delivery vans & trucks and packing amazon orders..they may never come back...quite a few production companies have folded...both the skills and the kit are being lost...as are the venues.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Your cynical view surely does not take into account the rapid spread of the vaccination programme, which will make this country a safer place for all.

What was "stupid" about Eat Out To Help Out? We never availed ourselves of it, but surely it was a win-win scheme for restaurateurs and noshers alike

The special advisers to the PM must have thought up this idea late on a Friday afternoon, in desperation. Plenty of people can afford to pay the standard price, it goes completely against the science. One eighty DEGREE turn, and contrary to the Stay at Home message which was and still is science based. 

Yes, vaccination will significantly reduce the number in hospital, yes, eventually the level of immunisation will gradually reduce overall infection and transmission, but this is a highly transmissible disease, and highly adaptable, new variants will be kicking in worldwide and end up in London for onward travel.

My jab may not yet have give me much immunity yet, but anyway there is nowhere to go. It was great to go in to town to get my jab, a break from the monotony. and it reduces my chances of getting the disease, and improves my chance of recovery, but its not 100 percent and never will be. I suspect the Astra Zenicas are currently working on a broad spectrum vaccine, to give immunity over the winter of 2021-22 to the over 65's.

The big problem now is stepping down the Lockdown (are we actually in L4, or is the whole of England in some sort of Tertiary Tier?) 

There is also the tartan elephant in the room, I won't say more than that, or I'll be talking politics....... 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

The scheme was designed to allow people to eat out safely. As I understand it, tables (and therefore diners) were widely spaced, and staff wore masks or face shields. So, with those precautions, it is surely unlikely that it contributed to the incidence of the virus, isn't it?

Which is why you saw film of hundreds of people pouring out of pubs and congregating in the streets and the police desperately trying to split them up. It was a great idea in theory, and, once again, depended on mass common sense, which, as we know, is increased hugely by the application of alcohol. It was about as successful as every other scheme, from returning Covid infected people to care homes, phone apps, Turkish PPE and track and trace, and probably killed as many as the first did.

The only scheme so far that has worked has been the vaccination programme, which is more or less independent of government interference once they had poured money into the ordering of them (about the only thing they got right).

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Which is why you saw film of hundreds of people pouring out of pubs and congregating in the streets

Actually I don't think I did, but if that happened, it does put a different complexion on the matter.

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

No.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No.

Are you aware ofany actual evidence that eating out in  did increase the spread of the disease over and above the transmission which was occurring from any other form of recreation and social mixing which was going on at the time?

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Same here. We have  booking with Le Boat for the 2nd April. 

We have very little hope of making it on that holiday and are 95% certain it will be cancelled in the coming weeks.

I doubt it will be a very enjoyable cruise either way with the restrictions that will be in place for pubs and restaurants. We would prefer it to be cancelled if we are perfectly honest.

No one is forcing you to stay at home.

In anticipation of restrictions being relaxed for April we have moved our Broads holiday to next year. This is the third time we have moved it. We didny fancy a holiday on the Broads where we couldnt visit a few pubs at least or with significant other restrictions still in place.

Under Richardsons t&c's we could do that up to eight weeks before for a small admin charge plus any difference. If we had left it then we would have had to go or lose the money as the holiday looks likely that it would have been allowed.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

it should be safe(er) by then considering the vaccination of older/vulnerable has occurred and now working down the years.......

I think Boris will give quite precise dates in his speech - all subject of course to finding the next new strain of virus...

Very few have had the full course of inoculation so far

our pénichette hire from Agen, held over from last May, now looks unlikely to happen this May either. Firstly, Mrs. Athy and I probably won't have had both stages of our vaccinations by then. Secondly, I have heard that widespread restrictions in France are likely to continue until June. I don't know if this will affect boat movements, but it's possible that we might find ourselves on a boat with nowhere to eat or drink out.

Luckily we booked with Blue Water Holidays, who appear to be an honourable and understanding company, so our money should be safe.

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In anticipation of restrictions being relaxed for April we have moved our Broads holiday to next year. This is the third time we have moved it. We didny fancy a holiday on the Broads where we couldnt visit a few pubs at least or with significant other restrictions still in place.

Under Richardsons t&c's we could do that up to eight weeks before for a small admin charge plus any difference. If we had left it then we would have had to go or lose the money as the holiday looks likely that it would have been allowed.

This holiday with Le Boat has already been rescheduled twice. It was initially supposed to have been in Belgium in 2019!

Le Boat have their "boating with confidence" scheme running which does mean that right up until the date of departure we can cancel or reschedule for a number of Covid related reasons. We are not eligible for a full refund however until four weeks before departure. If we can't go this time we want a refund. They have held our money for long enough now, we may as well have it back and put it towards some stuff at home that will be of some use to us. Liam has some of the money ear marked for a new shed :) 

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

our pénichette hire from Agen, held over from last May, now looks unlikely to happen this May either. Firstly, Mrs. Athy and I probably won't have had both stages of our vaccinations by then. Secondly, I have heard that widespread restrictions in France are likely to continue until June. I don't know if this will affect boat movements, but it's possible that we might find ourselves on a boat with nowhere to eat or drink out.

Luckily we booked with Blue Water Holidays, who appear to be an honourable and understanding company, so our money should be safe.

We have Brittany booked for three weeks in June/July but we haven't paid anything what so ever yet and we haven't booked Eurotunnel but we are keeping a close eye on what is happening in France. As you know part of the enjoyment of a holiday in France is the bar/restaurants and if they are heavily restricted it will take the edge off the holiday. 

Just now, blackrose said:

What a lot of conspiracy theory nonsense. No politicians are loving this lockdown.

Unfortunately there is a lot of it about. Facebook is full of similar tripe.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We have Brittany booked for three weeks in June/July but we haven't paid anything what so ever yet and we haven't booked Eurotunnel but we are keeping a close eye on what is happening in France. As you know part of the enjoyment of a holiday in France is the bar/restaurants and if they are heavily restricted it will take the edge off the holiday. 

Brittany was all closed when we went before Covid was even a thing :lol:

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I visited more than one venue where the tables, chairs, in fact anything that customers touched were NOT cleaned before new customers came in and at down. Likewise, menus were being collected and handed out again without being disposed of or cleaned. The concept was good and doable but as always, let down by those who have little regard for others, little basic intelligence or both.

• Greenie 3

Just now, frangar said:

If you think so.....As I said its amazing that few are questioning such control.

I see lot's of people questioning it.

Usually anti-vaxers, anti-maskers and lots of other assorted nutters.

By anti vaxers BTW I don't mean the ones concerned about the vaccine on genuine health grounds, I'm talking about the nutters peddling various idiotic conspiracy theories.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Your cynical view surely does not take into account the rapid spread of the vaccination programme, which will make this country a safer place for all.

What was "stupid" about Eat Out To Help Out? We never availed ourselves of it, but surely it was a win-win scheme for restaurateurs and noshers alike.

In hindsight (which is always a wonderful thing) "eat out to help out" only helped to spread the virus and extend these lockdowns. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but most epidemiologists and politicians now accept it was a mistake. A rather expensive mistake.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, frangar said:

My whole industry is dead...not just me....If something isnt done soon lets hope you never want to go to a gig/theatre/conference/show etc ever again. 

Yes your whole industry is dead at the moment. But it will recover once the covid restrictions are lifted. Not all of the current artists, promoters, venues, backup organisations etc. will survive, but others will emerge to fill their place. The bigger threat is surely the unmentionable which makes it much more difficult and expensive for British performers and their support crews to visit Europe and vice versa.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have very little hope of making it on that holiday and are 95% certain it will be cancelled in the coming weeks.

I doubt it will be a very enjoyable cruise either way with the restrictions that will be in place for pubs and restaurants. We would prefer it to be cancelled if we are perfectly honest.

If you really want to there is nothing stopping you going out and getting on with your life.

Not on the the Lot I trust ............

If you really want to there is nothing stopping you going out and getting on with your life.