Trolley for transporting shopping, coal...

Porcupine

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I find one of these Tough Truck very usefull as it can be used as a sack barrow or pulled as a 4 wheel truck.

Mrs. Athy bought me one fifteen years ago for easy transporting of boxes of records when I do record fairs. I put a wooden deck on it. It has lasted from then until now and is still perfectly serviceable.

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mrs. Athy bought me one fifteen years ago for easy transporting of boxes of records when I do record fairs. I put a wooden deck on it. It has lasted from then until now and is still perfectly serviceable.

I bought what looks identical for work much more than fifteen years ago. With a wooden deck added, it was abused greatly, visited every nuclear power station in the UK and a few on the mainland, and took everything that my team could throw at it or stand on top of it. Not good in mud though, but better than most of the mickey mouse ones from Aldi etc.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

I bought what looks identical for work much more than fifteen years ago. With a wooden deck added, it was abused greatly, visited every nuclear power station in the UK and a few on the mainland, and took everything that my team could throw at it or stand on top of it. Not good in mud though, but better than most of the mickey mouse ones from Aldi etc.

A quick browse on the internet suggests that, in common with many items which are perfect for their job and which go on for ever, they're no longer available.

9 hours ago, Porcupine said:

Hi, 

I am looking for a trolley to transport my shopping etc... I don’t want anything too big, I’d like a two wheeled, preferably, telescopic trolley. Any ideas? 
Thanks so much, Matt

I'm also in the market for a shopping trolly that can handle a few inches of mud as well as being shopping centre friendly. I don't think a sack barrow will quite cut the mustard with my wife though. :D

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

A quick browse on the internet suggests that, in common with many items which are perfect for their job and which go on for ever, they're no longer available.

but if things last too well they get passed on rather than new bought, not good for the company sales department.

a good example are Ladybird books, ones from the 60s/70s built like tanks, ones from the 80s/90s when the materials changed not so much.

30 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I'm also in the market for a shopping trolly that can handle a few inches of mud as well as being shopping centre friendly. I don't think a sack barrow will quite cut the mustard with my wife though. :D

Even if you colour coordinate it with your boat? I've posted this picture before.

barrow.jpg.b5d93690fbd05071a5e4dafac13da025.jpg

My other trolley is a trailer I made for the push bike, with removable cradle to take a 13Kg gas cylinder. Excellent for a big shop. Neither is so suitable for cruising as storage on board is a problem. Storing outside, they'd need to be locked to something substantial to not get stolen. Again, this pic has been posted before.

Jen

bike-trailer.jpg.2a46468bbeea1a25f7f8fa7cb598bf17.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

I have a bike-trailer.

The wheels come off and the sides fold in and it will carry 40+ kgs (gas bottle or, two bags of coal, or shopping etc). It has a cover & it folds flat. The 'arm' comes off and the whole thing will easily slide into a wardrobe or cupboard.

The problem is that it is not ideal to either take into the supermarket, or leave outside as I think it would be very appealing to ner-do-wells.

Trailer 1.png

Trailer 3.png

2 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

where did you stockpile the mementos?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have a bike-trailer.

The wheels come off and the sides fold in and it will carry 40+ kgs (gas bottle or, two bags of coal, or shopping etc). It has a cover & it folds flat. The 'arm' comes off and the whole thing will easily slide into a wardrobe or cupboard.

The problem is that it is not ideal to either take into the supermarket, or leave outside as I think it would be very appealing to ner-do-wells.

Trailer 1.png

Trailer 3.png

No one would steal that with your vicious guard dog on duty

On a more serious note, have a look at fishing trolleys, they might not.be what you are looking for but they are designed for rough ground 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Athy said:

For many years I lived in a mobile home by the Thames and that Black & Decker truck was used many times for hauling 19kg propane bottles and the weeks shopping from the car park to my home.

It has also been used in home moving.

Keep your eye on Aldi - they have a 'folding' sack barrow from time to time.  About £15 the last time I saw them.  Loop top handle which telescopes down and hinged load platform.  Aluminum I think.  The wheels are fixed - I endorse what has been said above about wheel folding mechanisms - used to have a similar thing at work but the wheel fold ratchet died.  I've actually now got two of them from Aldi, one on't boat and one at home - got sick of 'it' being in the wrong location when I needed it.  Must admit that they are both slightly modified since load platform and back are a bit 'skeleton' - so one has hardboard decks and the other has rubber mat.  Carries 2-3 bags of coal over significant (smooth) pavements, 13kg gas bottle (secure with bungee rope), heavy bag of shopping.  Folds small enough to live under the gunwale in corridor/light enough to carry one-handed.  Top kit.

Strewth!!  Just had a look on Am@zoo - Einhell BT-HT 90 Folding Truck - 90 kg Capacity - looks exactly like mine but for more than twice the Aldi price............

Edited by Opener
Update to comments

17 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I find one of these Tough Truck very usefull as it can be used as a sack barrow or pulled as a 4 wheel truck.

While I was looking at the link I noticed this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoulder-2-Person-Lifting-Moving-System/dp/B00022749Q  

No use for coal but it could save a fortune on dry docking charges if you buy a few and invites some friends over...

11 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

While I was looking at the link I noticed this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoulder-2-Person-Lifting-Moving-System/dp/B00022749Q  

No use for coal but it could save a fortune on dry docking charges if you buy a few and invites some friends over...

We've just had a fridge-freezer delivered. Big, heavy thing. It was moved with a pair of those by a bloke and a girl. Good, but not much use for shopping.

Just now, Onewheeler said:

We've just had a fridge-freezer delivered. Big, heavy thing. It was moved with a pair of those by a bloke and a girl. Good, but not much use for shopping.

Not something I had seen before - everyday's a school day.

5 hours ago, Opener said:

Keep your eye on Aldi - they have a 'folding' sack barrow from time to time.  About £15 the last time I saw them.  Loop top handle which telescopes down and hinged load platform.  Aluminum I think.  The wheels are fixed - I endorse what has been said above about wheel folding mechanisms - used to have a similar thing at work but the wheel fold ratchet died.  I've actually now got two of them from Aldi, one on't boat and one at home - got sick of 'it' being in the wrong location when I needed it.  Must admit that they are both slightly modified since load platform and back are a bit 'skeleton' - so one has hardboard decks and the other has rubber mat.  Carries 2-3 bags of coal over significant (smooth) pavements, 13kg gas bottle (secure with bungee rope), heavy bag of shopping.  Folds small enough to live under the gunwale in corridor/light enough to carry one-handed.  Top kit.

Strewth!!  Just had a look on Am@zoo - Einhell BT-HT 90 Folding Truck - 90 kg Capacity - looks exactly like mine but for more than twice the Aldi price............

I got an Aldi one, £14.99 down the drain, I think it failed the anchor chain test, my new one is up to weight, it's never been tested, yet,

Edited by LadyG

About ten years ago I bought a 3 wheel pram "they call them buggies" from a charity shop. £5 seemed okay.

Fixed wheels not inflatable. Aluminium thing made in Australia. 

I used it to transport my children until they had grown out of it and since then it has been used for coal and gas and anything else which needs moving. 

It folds flat so easy to store. 

It's a "mountain buggy..." branded "buggy". 

Similar to this one but with non-inflatable wheels. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-buggy-terrain-off-road-jogging-well-used-with-rain-cover-/184667193104

People do occasionally ask "have you lost the baby" I just say "no she is ten now and the other one is eight". 

I should clarify here that I never did jogging with it as that is incredibly naff and reveals some nasty character flaws.

A 13kg orange gas bottle fits in it perfectly. Obviously the baby related support canvas has been disposed of. It's just a bare pram now. Wheels a bit squeaky but what can you do?

Edited by magnetman

There is always one of these if you have a bike. It can be folded down, towbar and the wheels removed in less than two minuites for storage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Bike-Trailer-Cargo-B-icycle-Storage-Carrier-with-Hitch/352255354114?epid=24034026132&hash=item52040e2502:g:SO4AAOSwStZbc2-o

1927930686_biketrailer.jpg.332d6ab6c49f1581421692391c6213c3.jpg