Antifreeze

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I have a JP2 with skin tank cooling. I need to change the blue antifreeze, as it has been in the system for a couple or 3 years. After checking antifreeze prices on Ebay, I notice that pink antifreeze is not much more expensive than blue, and pink has a much longer life span. Obviously, I'd flush the system through first, but is there any reason why I shouldn't change my coolant to pink?

In general pink or OAT isn't recommended for systems with copper in them....and most JP's have copper at some point. I checked this with Morris lubricants....they dont recommend the long life antifreeze for vintage engines etc. If this is them just protecting themselves is for you to decide....personally I haven't taken the risk!

Edited by frangar

Not doubting Frangar but my Bukh had copper and brass components in the skin tank circuit and over 20 years had no problem.

As brass contains copper and some alloy vehicle cooling parts have brass inserts I think we need a chemist to explain why.  Although many engine thermostats are stainless steel nowadays some still have brass components in them.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not doubting Frangar but my Bukh had copper and brass components in the skin tank circuit and over 20 years had no problem.

As brass contains copper and some alloy vehicle cooling parts have brass inserts I think we need a chemist to explain why.  Although many engine thermostats are stainless steel nowadays some still have brass components in them.

I wondered the same but after a fair bit of reading on various vintage car forums etc it seems that some had issues when using OAT on older engines for whatever reason...I thought that there was long life antifreeze that could be used on vintage engines but if there was I couldn't find it now. Im happy if I could get proof that OAT is fine but as I cant Im resigned to changing it every two years!