Amphicar on TV today

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Wouldn’t you have something ready for the more than likely moment of panic? There was a support boat waiting just off camera as well.

Yes, but I hope I would have made it less obvious. Seeing it made me think there is going to be an incident soon.

both this series and Salvage Hunters Classic Cars should come with a health honesty warning.    The costs of restoring the cars they buy appear to ignore the cost of the man-hours, workshop and equipment, insurance and licensing, transport and travel (often from one end of the country to the other) just to get some wheels refurbished or to get an exhaust part made by hand.    

Edited by Murflynn

10 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

both this series and Salvage Hunters Classic Cars should come with a health honesty warning.    The costs of restoring the cars they buy appear to ignore the cost of the man-hours, workshop and equipment, insurance and licensing, transport and travel (often from one end of the country to the other) just to get some wheels refurbished or to get an exhaust part made by hand.    

They don’t appear to ignore the costs, in fact they list the costs they are including at the end of each project. That isn’t hiding costs, it’s showing what they DO include. Everyone in the vehicle restoration business knows that with a very few exceptions, no restorations are financially viable. 

The programme (Wheeler Dealers) is an entertainment show, no more, no less. 

54 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

They don’t appear to ignore the costs, in fact they list the costs they are including at the end of each project. That isn’t hiding costs, it’s showing what they DO include. Everyone in the vehicle restoration business knows that with a very few exceptions, no restorations are financially viable. 

The programme (Wheeler Dealers) is an entertainment show, no more, no less. 

they only quote the costs of spare parts (dealer's costs, not delivered) and the cost of any work that is placed with outside companies (painting, upholstery and the like).

they NEVER say there were other costs that are not included - which is my point.

you may treat it as an entertainment show and nothing more, I am interested to learn about the viability of classic restorations which they clearly misrepresent when they claim to have made a profit by ignoring a lot of the actual costs.

..........................   but I do realise that you are still learning.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Just now, Murflynn said:

they only quote the costs of spare parts (dealer's costs, not delivered) and the cost of any work that is placed with outside companies (painting, upholstery and the like).

they NEVER say there were other costs that are not included - which is my point.

you may treat it as an entertainment show and nothing more, I am interested to learn about the viability of classic restorations which they clearly misrepresent when they claim to have made a profit by ignoring a lot of the actual costs.

..........................   but I do realise that you are still learning.   :rolleyes:

As I said before , there is almost no such thing as a financially viable restoration.

Im an ex mechanic, have had classic cars of my own, and an in law is a nationally respected restorer of vintage and classic cars, so I do know something about the subject.