Shoreline Fridge

christophert

Featured Posts

As far as I know, CRX is a range of fridges made by Dometic. I don’t think CRX stands for anything in particular. Have a look on the Dometic website https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/fridges/boat-fridges

Their reputation seems to be quite good, but not cheap.

Inlander is another manufacturer, but again not cheap https://inlanderlowvoltage.com

Edited by nicknorman

Whichever way you look at it, a small 12v fridge is the best part of give hundred quid. CRX is a Waeco/Dometic model.

If you have space for a 240v fridge and an inverter that you can run 24/7, a 240v fridge could be an answer. Unfortunately I don't have space and had a crap inverter from Sterling when I bought a new fridge a couple of months ago.

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes, 12v ones are! Maybe you should look into getting yours repaired?

When my Shoreline failed when just a few years old, I rang Shoreline and they suggested I replaced the controller, a small black box on the back. About 60quid I think.

They were very helpful and got one to the Crick Show the following day which was brought back by a friend and fitted in minutes.

Hoping not to tempt providence,  it's worked perfectly ever since, over 10 years.

• Greenie 1

Make sure its not simply cutting out (as its designed to do) on low voltage. It should produce a series of beeps or light flashes to help diagnose the fault.

As Alan says undersized fridge wiring is very common on canal boats and the makes the fridge think the batters are flat - especially in such cold weather when battery performance will be depressed anyway.

"Playing up" is not very descriptive of the symptoms.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, christophert said:

Evening to you all,

My Shoreline fridge is playing up so I need to buy a new one.  Due to the extortionate price I want to look at alternatives. Does anyone know what a CRX fridge is? Or what the CRX stands for?

Regards,

Chris

We have the CRX 50 on our boat. Not the cheapest fridge by any means but it uses very little power and is very quiet. 

On 15/02/2021 at 07:15, Tony Brooks said:

Make sure its not simply cutting out (as its designed to do) on low voltage. It should produce a series of beeps or light flashes to help diagnose the fault.

As Alan says undersized fridge wiring is very common on canal boats and the makes the fridge think the batters are flat - especially in such cold weather when battery performance will be depressed anyway.

"Playing up" is not very descriptive of the symptoms.

No light flashes, it's just not freezing but it does have power going to it interior light is on. I have had the fridge several years now so I wouldn't put it down to undersized wiring as it's always been fine.

39 minutes ago, christophert said:

No light flashes, it's just not freezing but it does have power going to it interior light is on. I have had the fridge several years now so I wouldn't put it down to undersized wiring as it's always been fine.

My boat had a 12v fridge that 'worked fine' but was very thirsty (in leccy usage).

I bought a new fridge and whilst plugged into the land line with the battery charger on everything was fine, go for a days cruise and everything was fine.

By the next morning the freezer compartment was defrosted and everything in the fridge was 'wet'.

Long story short.

Voltage was high enough when on the battery charger, it was high enough when the engine was running but it was the case that the volt drop on the cable was being masked by the high charging voltages. When it was just drawing from the batteries the volt drop was such that even tho' the compressor was running continuously it would not cool the fridge.

Changed the wiring for (from memory) 10mm2 and problem went away.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My boat had a 12v fridge that 'worked fine' but was very thirsty (in leccy usage).

I bought a new fridge and whilst plugged into the land line with the battery charger on everything was fine, go for a days cruise and everything was fine.

By the next morning the freezer compartment was defrosted and everything in the fridge was 'wet'.

Long story short.

Voltage was high enough when on the battery charger, it was high enough when the engine was running but it was the case that the volt drop on the cable was being masked by the high charging voltages. When it was just drawing from the batteries the volt drop was such that even tho' the compressor was running continuously it would not cool the fridge.

Changed the wiring for (from memory) 10mm2 and problem went away.

I'm in a mariner but have taken on board your point. We have had some very cold weather which will affect any battery. It seems to be working again now, though I have it on its highest setting, the freezer box isn't brilliant. Not complaining too much, as at least now it's working ... sort of.

• Greenie 1