Party boat confiscated

big d

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But now you are picking on who to penalise. is it a bed, a bed and a chair or just a bedside table?

It is fly tipping (also known as dumping) as opposed to littering.   If you deliberately deposit 5 sacks of sweet wrappers somewhere you are fly tipping.  If you throw away one of the sweet wrappers you are littering. 

Fly tipping as in illegally dumping waste, littering as in making the place untidy.  Both can be penalised in law.

• Greenie 1

I thought littering was dropping of your own rubbish whereas fly tipping was you dumping rubbish belonging to someone else. 

Or it may be the land status, littering on public land, fly tipping on private land

Wasn't there a case awhile ago where some civic minded person collected litter and took it to the local tip where it was classed as commercial waste and was prosecuted for fly tipping

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I still haven't seen anything tom support the claim that the boat was "confiscated". 

am I missing something?

Yes: the original article, in the thread's first post, says "the boat has been seized".

23 hours ago, Old Son said:

We seem to have forgotten about the idiot party goers!! This guy couldn't have organised these events if people abided by the rules and said NO.

I would guess there is very little chance of any of these fines being paid. What will happen in that event, a suspended sentence to somebody who doesn't care is no deterrent.

I heard somewhere that only 3% of the £10,000 fines have been paid!

Handful of £10,000 lockdown fines paid in UK (breakingnews.ie)

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is a later live version of Alice’s Restaurant, where the wonderful Arlo Guthrie explains the significance of the original recording vis-à-vis the Nixon tapes and Watergate.

While on the subject of the Guthrie family, the Biden inauguration was made very memorable by the singing of This Land is Your Land, the lyrics of which were by Woodie Guthrie.

13 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

I thought littering was dropping of your own rubbish whereas fly tipping was you dumping rubbish belonging to someone else. 

Or it may be the land status, littering on public land, fly tipping on private land

Wasn't there a case awhile ago where some civic minded person collected litter and took it to the local tip where it was classed as commercial waste and was prosecuted for fly tipping

Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope under that half a ton of garbage.

:)

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I heard somewhere that only 3% of the £10,000 fines have been paid!

Handful of £10,000 lockdown fines paid in UK (breakingnews.ie)

I'm not surprised. Most of those fined that amount simply won't have the money. If a penalty is unpayable it ceases to be a deterrent. And it's not much different from company directors going bust leaving creditors out of pocket and then starting up again.

Fine them several times they'll just go bankrupt. Oddly, their houses and other assets will be owned by their wives.

Odd, too  that all these little people get penalised for endangering a few dozen partygoers and not a single business forcing hundreds of workers to work in unsafe conditions.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Most of those fined that amount simply won't have the money. If a penalty is unpayable it ceases to be a deterrent.

I alluded to this earlier - that not everyone has got ten grand spare, at least not immediately.

But surely it is a deterrent, because if a person can't pay, he's liable to be given a prison sentence. 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I alluded to this earlier - that not everyone has got ten grand spare, at least not immediately.

But surely it is a deterrent, because if a person can't pay, he's liable to be given a prison sentence. 

Or hopefully have their assets seized up to the value of the fine.

Can't see that happening though somehow.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Maybe in five years time, when it finally comes to court, assuming the evidence hasn't got lost and the bloke can be found. I don't think many party organisers think that far ahead. And at current rates, they'd have to build a few more prisons, too.

16 hours ago, Jerra said:

I agree about goons.   There is a lay-by just outside town amere 2 miles from the recycling centre where if it isn't recyclable there is acceptance for dumping.   Yet there are frequently double bed mattresses, TVs etc dumped.  If they can manage to transport it to the lay-by why the %^&* can't they just go the further 2 miles.

Whilst I would agree to a point the rubbish/recycling centres dont help in many cases. Recently we went down and queued with other cars and waited out turn. I had two car seats that I had taken from my motor home and asked the bod which bin to which he curtly replied you cant leave parts of cars here its household disposal. I asked where he suggested and walking away said " Car scrap yard " so I see why some drive round the corner and chuck them as he was an arse. I went back to the moorings and stripped the seat and webbing off the frame and went back a couple of days later and put the metal frame in the metals bin and the seat in the bin for that mix of stuff, job done. My mistake was first time round being polite and asking where to put the seats, I should have just wanged them into any of the bins and walked. I was expecting to pay the 2 quid per item cost for each non household piece of rubbish but jobsworth said couldnt leave car seats there.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Whilst I would agree to a point the rubbish/recycling centres dont help in many cases. Recently we went down and queued with other cars and waited out turn. I had two car seats that I had taken from my motor home and asked the bod which bin to which he curtly replied you cant leave parts of cars here its household disposal. I asked where he suggested and walking away said " Car scrap yard " so I see why some drive round the corner and chuck them as he was an arse. I went back to the moorings and stripped the seat and webbing off the frame and went back a couple of days later and put the metal frame in the metals bin and the seat in the bin for that mix of stuff, job done. My mistake was first time round being polite and asking where to put the seats, I should have just wanged them into any of the bins and walked. I was expecting to pay the 2 quid per item cost for each non household piece of rubbish but jobsworth said couldnt leave car seats there.

Our council centre is pretty good. It has the usual metal, glass, plastic etc skips.

Then two very large ones 'general waste', pretty much anything else gets chucked in there when you ask the staff if you are not sure. I have actually seen child seats in them too.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Our council centre is pretty good. It has the usual metal, glass, plastic etc skips.

Then two very large ones 'general waste', pretty much anything else gets chucked in there when you ask the staff if you are not sure. I have actually seen child seats in them too.

It depends on the council old boy. This was the one local to our boat. However when I sold mums house last year we had masses of bin liners of stuff to take to the tip and the tip in Selby not only allowed us to take a couple of car loads of all sorts of stuff the blokes there even helped unload with me and smiled!! 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It depends on the council old boy. This was the one local to our boat. However when I sold mums house last year we had masses of bin liners of stuff to take to the tip and the tip in Selby not only allowed us to take a couple of car loads of all sorts of stuff the blokes there even helped unload with me and smiled!! 

Ive never understood why different councils have different rules about stuff and what goes where and in what. In one council gree can mean paper and blue means glass. Then it can mean the polar opposite.

When we are away we often find the rules are different from home and then when we move on to another location they have changed again.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I can understand that at that recycling point there is a temptation to just dump.  At ours we are lucky, firstly they are polite (perhaps having taught most of them helps) and there is a non recyclable "skip" so no problems.   In that case there really is no excuse for fly tipping.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive never understood why different councils have different rules about stuff and what goes where and in what. In one council gree can mean paper and blue means glass. Then it can mean the polar opposite.

When we are away we often find the rules are different from home and then when we move on to another location they have changed again.

True a nation wide scheme and standards would help.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive never understood while different councils have different rules about stuff and what goes where.

Each one probably has lengthy committee meetings during which heated arguments take place about what constitutes General Waste, whether dead cut flowers are Garden Waste or General Waste and how big something has to be before it can go in the Bulky Waste skip.

16 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I can understand that at that recycling point there is a temptation to just dump.  At ours we are lucky, firstly they are polite (perhaps having taught most of them helps) and there is a non recyclable "skip" so no problems.   In that case there really is no excuse for fly tipping.

The staff at ours will intervene if they see someone blatantly chucking something recyclable in the 'general waste' skip, which is fair enough. Ive also seen them climbing into those skips ripping open black bags to see if nothing that could go in the recycling is inside them. Not sure what elf and safety would make of that.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

The one at Aylesbury has a reuse shop alongside, run by a local charity, and you are strongly encouraged to drop off stuff like furniture, old bicycles etc. there. The volunteers refurbish the donations and it is quite interesting wondering round the shop to see what is for sale. Last time I went, to dump some rubbish from working on Fulbourne, I came away with four lovely oak dining chairs for which I paid some trivial sum.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

our council contracts the "household waste recycling centres" with Suez, this means they knocked an hour off the opening times (bit hard to nip after work now) and got rid of the rubble/plaster skips. You have to register your vehicle to use them, and if over a certain size or using a trailer are limited to 12 visits a year. If its a signed work vehicle you'll be turned away. Oddly fly tipping increased massively.

I'm between two sites, the one at Leeds Rd in Hudds is staffed by a bunch of miserable gits who only pop out of the cabin to swipe any choice items or shout at folk for using the wrong skip, or the slightly further away one in Meltham where the staff will help you unload if they're not busy or if its an older customer and are always cheerful. Guess which one i go to?

• Greenie 1