Party boat confiscated

big d

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, big d said:

Covid-19: Man held and 26 fined over canal-boat party https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56053229

Another canal party party but this time boat was taken

I wonder who has confiscated his boat and which act allows them to do that.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder who has confiscated his boat and which act allows them to do that.

If CRT revoked its licence the first time, then they wouldnt object to Police bypassing the convoluted processes in seizing an unlicensed vessel as proceeds or involved in a crime.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If CRT revoked its licence the first time, then they wouldnt object to Police bypassing the convoluted processes in seizing an unlicensed vessel as proceeds or involved in a crime.

But is having a Covid party grounds for revoking a licence? Please don't think I am in favour of what he did, but things like poaching the law states you can confiscate the vehicle, likewise fishing without a licence you can lose your tackle. Is there anything in the covid laws to allow this, could they for instance confiscate a restaurant  ?

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But is having a Covid party grounds for revoking a licence? Please don't think I am in favour of what he did, but things like poaching the law states you can confiscate the vehicle, likewise fishing without a licence you can lose your tackle. Is there anything in the covid laws to allow this, could they for instance confiscate a restaurant  ?

As with most law, if the boat has been confiscated unlawfully, it is for the injured party to take legal action and recover damages.

So the boatowner is free to take whatever steps he may wish to, in that respect.

At least he is not free to have another virus spreading party on his boat.

All good, as far as I can see :) 

58 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

To be honest Im struggling to care less about the legality but just happy to see one more idiot dealt with. If the boat has been confiscated then thats just great.

He can argue the toss through due legal process and meanwhile a venue responsible for potential transmission of the virus is shut down. By the time he gets it back, if he does, we will be in a better place.

I do hope it hasnt been sold off or scrapped in the mean time of course...........that would be tragic.

I suspect in this instance boat confiscation was the only option for a repeat offender, fines are irrelevant as they will rarely be paid and the sanctions against non payment are pretty much non existent.

in all a pointless exercise for the authorities.

"But snapshot figures from early January, show that only five of the 196 £10,000 fines handed out in England have been paid. While 53 are being formally contested, 42 have been ignored and 96 still had time left to pay in the 28-day payment period.

The data from criminal records office Acro, that administers the fines, were given to the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC)".

31 minutes ago, Philip Hooton said:

I suspect in this instance boat confiscation was the only option for a repeat offender, fines are irrelevant as they will rarely be paid and the sanctions against non payment are pretty much non existent.

"But snapshot figures from early January, show that only five of the 196 £10,000 fines handed out in England have been paid. While 53 are being formally contested, 42 have been ignored and 96 still had time left to pay in the 28-day payment period.

The data from criminal records office Acro, that administers the fines, were given to the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC)".

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that non-payment of such a fine is grounds for imprisonment.

That said, the average bod probably hasn't got £10,000 handy. Reducing fines to a more sensible level would probably be more productive.

1 hour ago, Philip Hooton said:

But there is no law in this country that allows you just to take someone's property without proper authorisation. I am just wondering what it was. I supposed it could be seized as part of an ongoing investigation, like when they take a car away.

I'm not sorry if he is lost it but we should all be worried about the legalities. You break some law so they just decide to take your home away or property. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that non-payment of such a fine is grounds for imprisonment.

That said, the average bod probably hasn't got £10,000 handy. Reducing fines to a more sensible level would probably be more productive.

Sorry, I have to disagree.

The fine should be a life changing amount, after all his stupidity and greed will likely have changed the lives of many innocent people who will contract the virus with possibly fatal consequences. 

I would suggest taking the boat as proceeds of crime, selling it and fining him as well to make the amount to £100,000. Seizure of assets is OK in law.

We seem to have forgotten about the idiot party goers!! This guy couldn't have organised these events if people abided by the rules and said NO.

I would guess there is very little chance of any of these fines being paid. What will happen in that event, a suspended sentence to somebody who doesn't care is no deterrent.