C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I'm intrigued about the reference to 'yellow striped tiger bags' for human waste. We put our (bady) nappies straight into the bin or the Rayburn. I don't think this has happened in Wales, please explain.

I think that may be a requirement for human waste in 'trade' quantities, but doesn't apply to domestic waste.

10 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I'm intrigued about the reference to 'yellow striped tiger bags' for human waste. We put our (bady) nappies straight into the bin or the Rayburn. I don't think this has happened in Wales, please explain.

If you read thru the thread you will find links to the legislation re 'tiger bags', definitions of different types of wate and how they must be treated, and pictures of the tiger bags.

Its all in the thread already.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think that may be a requirement for human waste in 'trade' quantities, but doesn't apply to domestic waste.

C&RT is a 'trade customer', and the legislation is for any human faeces over 7kg per bin (not per bag)) and this is C&RYs problem, they cannot stop (say) 10 boaters each with 7kg bags depositing the 'stuff'; in a single bin.

Hence Biffas's refusal,

6 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Good for you, another rare land owning separating toilet user... but it's notable that you and others extolling the virtues of separating toilets still avoid addressing the wee issue unless pressed and don't have an acceptable practical answer. Or do you transport 3 months of festering urine to your land too? I suggest the vast majority of liveaboards are not land owners or they wouldn't live on a boat. IMO it's irresponsible to encourage people to install toilets with no acceptable means of disposing their waste products.

You appear to be forgetting that whilst the solid waste cannot be disposed down an Elsan point, liquid waste can.

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You appear to be forgetting that whilst the solid waste cannot be disposed down an Elsan point, liquid waste can.

Which, if you are going to the elsan every few days anyway, seems to negate all the effort of separation in the first place.

Mind you, "tree huggers" do seem to occasionally struggle with logic !!

• Greenie 4

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

You make my point for me, thanks. The point being if you are taking you pee to an elsan... what's the point or separating the solid out? You might as well just take your cassette there.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Slow and Steady said:

You make my point for me, thanks. The point being if you are taking you pee to an elsan... what's the point or separating the solid out? You might as well just take your cassette there.

Do you think any composter will take their liquid waste to the elsan?

• Greenie 2

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The answer being obvious, I'll asssume that is a rhetorical question !

It was 😳

Of those boaters I know who have compost toilets 100% pour their p*ss into the cut and since the double bagging ban bury their poo on or near the towpath. 

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or we could always do what the Government told us to do in the 60's - preparation for the "Four-Minute Warning"

Prepare & Survive !!

Protect & Survive !!

Screenshot (641).png

Screenshot (640).png

Screenshot (643).png

It made you easier to find and bury Alan 

It would appear that urine is not sterile even when first produced.

"It’s a fact frequently shared at parties and across social media: urine is sterile, so you should drink it if you find yourself in a waterless pinch. But like so many cocktail party factoids, this one is absolutely not true."

https://www.popsci.com/urine-sterile-drinking-pee/

"If drinking urine was your survivalist backup plan, we’ve got some bad news. The rumor that your pee is sterile is, well, a rumor.

Scientists have found that urine in healthy individuals naturally contains bacteria, so urine isn’t quite as “clean” as myths have led us to believe."

https://www.healthline.com/health/is-urine-sterile

5 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

Because visits to the elsan will be less frequent? And its much easier to nip off the boat with a urine container and to empty it into the hopper, than it is to struggle with a much heavier awkwardly shaped cassette. Not that all dry toileters will of course.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Because visits to the elsan will be less frequent? And its much easier to nip off the boat with a urine container and to empty it into the hopper, than it is to struggle with a much heavier awkwardly shaped cassette. Not that all dry toileters will of course.

I suppose that depend on whether one is full of **** or full of ****. :lol:

I believe the over riding driver for dry toilet people is to dramatically cut down the elsan trips - they brag about once every three months on this very thread. Ergo they never use an elsan at all, they bag the solids every three months and meanwhile water the hedge / canal. They wish to be untied from elsan locations.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There are such things as a trolley for those of 'challenged' age and / or strength, there are even cassettes with wheels 'just like your airline suitcase !!

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are such things as a trolley for those of 'challenged' age and / or strength, there are even cassettes with wheels 'just like your airline suitcase !!

Still got to manouevre it through the boat from the bathroom to the deck and then onto the bank, and once at the elsan point to lift it up to above the disposal pan/hopper.

6 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I suppose that depend on whether one is full of **** or full of ****. :lol:

Cassette contains piss + poo + flush water. Urine bottle only contains piss. So inevitably there is less liquid(ish) to dispose of for the dry toileter.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Still got to manouevre it through the boat from the bathroom to the deck and then onto the bank, and once at the elsan point to lift it up to above the disposal pan/hopper.

Won't you also need to do that for the part-composting faeces as well ? (but lift it into a composting bin / wheely bin in lieu of a elsan)