C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Bagging dog shit was originally invented by dogs as a way of ensuring that their DNA is protected in the event of a silly end-of-world scenario which would probably be caused by humans. Dogs are clever. They realise that some humans would survive and they would probably have the technology available and seek ways to recreate canine companions. 

It's entirely probable that this can be done from waste products. 

Preservation is key here. 

Give us a puff, please.

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Bagging dog shit was originally invented by dogs as a way of ensuring that their DNA is protected in the event of a silly end-of-world scenario which would probably be caused by humans. Dogs are clever. They realise that some humans would survive and they would probably have the technology available and seek ways to recreate canine companions. 

It's entirely probable that this can be done from waste products. 

Preservation is key here. 

Great post I'm going to keep some poo in a jar just in case. Beats the shit out of being frozen.

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

if it's such a good thing, why gas boilers are soon to be banned?

They are not soon to be banned AIUI.

No-one here with a gas boiler in service now is likely to be stopped from using it for at least another 20 years, I'd suggest. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

They are not soon to be banned AIUI.

No-one here with a gas boiler in service now is likely to be stopped from using it for at least another 20 years, I'd suggest. 

That possibly depends on how many mates of various MP’s have vested interests in heat pumps and the like….and I mean MP’s of all sides! 

• Greenie 2

"Dogs are clever."

When I was a child, we lived in an upstairs flat which did have its own garden. On some mornings, before we had been downstairs to let them out, one of our cats used to use our toilet, carefully balancing itself on the seat (but of course couldn't  operate the flush!). The other used to use the coke bucket. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

6 hours ago, IanD said:

And adding more human poo -- semi-digested/composted or not -- to the dog poo going to incinerators/landfill seem to be going in entirely the wrong direction to me.

The failure of the C&RT to discourage the proliferation of separating toilets by offering a free method of disposal of the partly dessicated waste has led to at least 700 boats being fitted with them and possibly a whole lot more!

The owners, probably chiefly live-aboards, discovered that instead of spending often much more than £1000 on ceramic toilets, pumps and tanks, and hundreds of pounds each year on pump-outs and ongoing maintenance, they could fabricate themselves for not much more than £100 a toilet that didn't smell, was almost maintenance free and needed emptying very infrequently at zero cost.

I fear that the genie has abandoned the bottle, especially since many live-aboards would struggle to afford a pump-out setup and will have got used to not having to visit an Elsan point every few days, preferring to compost or more likely bag and bin every two or three months.

We might all agree that bagging and binning isn't ideal or desirable, but if the contents of street bins is incinerated anyway and operatives are already aware that bags of dog poo will be amongst the waste and so are prepared and cautious, might using this already existing service be better than dumping humanure in hedgerows or in C&RT bins?
  • Unimpressed 1

10 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

We might all agree that bagging and binning isn't ideal or desirable, but if the contents of street bins is incinerated anyway and operatives are already aware that bags of dog poo will be amongst the waste and so are prepared and cautious, might using this already existing service be better than dumping humanure in hedgerows or in C&RT bins?

Boaters with waterless toilets are entirely free to save up their bags of semi- composted slurry and take them and try and find some dog poo bins where councils have said the contents will be incinerated, BUT, why should C&RT go down the same route for a small minority of boaters when it will cost £100,000's of pounds per annum to arrange for installation of storage bins, collection and bin emptying and transit to an incinerator.

Who will provide the 'Yellow Tiger striped' bags that the legislation states must be used for transport and identification of Human faeces ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Boaters with waterless toilets are entirely free to save up their bags of semi- composted slurry and take them and try and find some dog poo bins where councils have said the contents will be incinerated, BUT, why should C&RT go down the same route for a small minority of boaters when it will cost £100,000's of pounds per annum to arrange for installation of storage bins, collection and bin emptying and transit to an incinerator.

Who will provide the 'Yellow Tiger striped' bags that the legislation states must be used for transport and identification of Human faeces ?

I apologise for needing to correct you, but although dog poo may well be sloppy, the output of a separating loo, even with 'recent deposits' is fairly dry and certainly never sloppy.

I'm surprised that if human poo is required to be transported in yellow tiger striped bags, that dog poo isn't, since dog poo is much more unpleasant and is known to commonly contain quite dangerous pathogens and parasites; perhaps it is?

56 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

The failure of the C&RT to discourage the proliferation of separating toilets by offering a free method of disposal of the partly dessicated waste has led to at least 700 boats being fitted with them and possibly a whole lot more!

The owners, probably chiefly live-aboards, discovered that instead of spending often much more than £1000 on ceramic toilets, pumps and tanks, and hundreds of pounds each year on pump-outs and ongoing maintenance, they could fabricate themselves for not much more than £100 a toilet that didn't smell, was almost maintenance free and needed emptying very infrequently at zero cost.

I fear that the genie has abandoned the bottle, especially since many live-aboards would struggle to afford a pump-out setup and will have got used to not having to visit an Elsan point every few days, preferring to compost or more likely bag and bin every two or three months.

Every time you mention ceramic bowls an pump out tanks and £1,000+ and £100's on maintenance you sound more and more desperate. You are over egging it.

e.g. I'm a liveaboard and have a cassette toilet and spare cassette that was on the boat when I bought it 5 years ago. So far it's cost £0 to maintain and £0 to empty it. Your £100 home made bog seems  expensive to me. I suspect anyone with a cassette toilet is laughing at your attempts to justify your choice on cost. You tip your pee god knows where, put your poo in dog bins? Street waste bins? because there is no "green" way for you to deal with it and your toilet cost you a comparative fortune. Cassettes, even flushing ones use almost zero water so you can't win there either.

You're loosing the argument on all fronts, in fact I suggest you get a cassette toilet so at least you'll be able to stop dumping your piss and shit in the local environment. No need to thank me. :)

Edited by Slow and Steady
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

Maybe if the bins are low enough you could take a direct shit in one.

You could carry your own two foot plank about, with hole in so you can put it across the top of the bin and sit without the worry of getting your arse stuck.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Every time you mention ceramic bowls an pump out tanks and £1,000+ and £100's on maintenance you sound more and more desperate. You are over egging it.

e.g. I'm a liveaboard and have a cassette toilet and spare cassette that was on the boat when I bought it 5 years ago. So far it's cost £0 to maintain and £0 to empty it. Your £100 home made bog seems  expensive to me. I suspect anyone with a cassette toilet is laughing at your attempts to justify your choice on cost. You tip your pee god knows where, put your poo in dog bins? Street waste bins? because there is no "green" way for you to deal with it and your toilet cost you a comparative fortune. Cassettes, even flushing ones use almost zero water so you can't win there either.

You're loosing the argument on all fronts, in fact I suggest you get a cassette toilet so at least you'll be able to stop dumping your piss and shit in the local environment. No need to thank me. :)

Leaving to one side your crude language and unfounded accusations.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong on all accounts. I have a yacht which I keep on the east coast and it, in common with almost every coastal sailing boat has a sea toilet.

I have no prejudice or axe to grind.

I do have a good friend who lives aboard and has 'composted' for some 6 years now, so I am very familiar with what he spent on it and how it works in practice and how keen he is on it having got rid of his old pump-out.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

the output of a separating loo, even with 'recent deposits' is fairly dry and certainly never sloppy.

Not if you are a real ale drinking vegetarian 🤭

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Not if you are a real ale drinking vegetarian

You'd certainly need to add an awful lot more sawdust!

But seriously, I've owned many many boat's over the years from tiny sailing boats to a Dutch barge and during that time I've owned macerating pump-out loos, cassette toilets, sea toilets and a  composting toilet.

My wife and I are lucky enough to own land and have a compost heap large enough that a local tree surgeon occasionally brings his chippings round to add to it, so processing our humanure when we had the composting loo wasn't an issue. Just for interest sake, our compost heap after turning heats up to 60⁰c for days on end, effectively killing off most nasties.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

My wife and I are lucky enough to own land and have a compost heap large enough that a local tree surgeon occasionally brings his chippings round to add to it

Good for you, another rare land owning separating toilet user... but it's notable that you and others extolling the virtues of separating toilets still avoid addressing the wee issue unless pressed and don't have an acceptable practical answer. Or do you transport 3 months of festering urine to your land too? I suggest the vast majority of liveaboards are not land owners or they wouldn't live on a boat. IMO it's irresponsible to encourage people to install toilets with no acceptable means of disposing their waste products.

• Greenie 4

I'm happy to address the wee issue for me as a yachtie, it goes into the sea. Far better than our sea toilet where the whole lot goes into the sea!

It's worth remembering, that even if you pump-out you can't afford to feel too smug, because in 2020, raw sewage was released into UK rivers on more than 400,000 occasions from sewage 'treatment' plants, amounting to 3 million hours of sewage release according to the BBC news website. That puts into perspective the tipping of a few litres of sterile wee into the undergrowth well back from the waterside. 

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

Good for you, another rare land owning separating toilet user... but it's notable that you and others extolling the virtues of separating toilets still avoid addressing the wee issue unless pressed and don't have an acceptable practical answer. Or do you transport 3 months of festering urine to your land too? I suggest the vast majority of liveaboards are not land owners or they wouldn't live on a boat. IMO it's irresponsible to encourage people to install toilets with no acceptable means of disposing their waste products.

Half a litre of piss thrown in the hedgerow here and there will do no no harm whatsoever. it's a sterile fertiliser. A collected gallon at a time, no, maybe not, and no need for it. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Half a litre of piss thrown in the hedgerow here and there will do no no harm whatsoever. it's a sterile fertiliser. A collected gallon at a time, no, maybe not, and no need for it. 

OK for you in the middle of nowhere, but what about the hoards of trendies in that there London where I suspect the majority of separators reside - down the nearest road drain along with their old engine oil?

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

OK for you in the middle of nowhere, but what about the hoards of trendies in that there London where I suspect the majority of separators reside - down the nearest road drain along with their old engine oil?

One really must go a bit further when taking the piss. Some drivers speed etc etc, that doesn't mean we stop all driving. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

My wife and I are lucky enough to own land and have a compost heap large enough that a local tree surgeon occasionally brings his chippings round to add to it, so processing our humanure when we had the composting loo wasn't an issue.

And how did you transport the waste from the boat to the compost heap?

46 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Half a litre of piss thrown in the hedgerow here and there will do no no harm whatsoever. it's a sterile fertiliser. A collected gallon at a time, no, maybe not,

Actually, a gallon would do no harm either. The lucky plant/shrub/tree would benefit from the water and the mild fertilising effect, and the microorganisms and bacteria in the soil would within hours have neutralised any smell.

A thorough, deep watering is better for a plant as opposed to a light shallow watering as the latter encourages the feeder roots towards the surface where they are subsequently more vulnerable to drought conditions, not that brambles will be worried either way.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And how did you transport the waste from the boat to the compost heap?

Snap the lid on the bucket, pop the bucket into the car. No mystery there!

• Greenie 1

I’m sure I read in an old gardening book that ‘old men’s urine’ is particularly good for fruit trees.

I used to use it as my excuse when I went out in the back garden. We had apple and plum trees.

I wasn’t old then though, but thought it good practice, saves flushing a loo.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure I read in an old gardening book that ‘old men’s urine’ is particularly good for fruit trees.

I used to use it as my excuse when I went out in the back garden. We had apple and plum trees.

I wasn’t old then though, but thought it good practice, saves flushing a loo.

Now now don't go spoiling the fun for grumbling grumpy old men. They are never happy till they are miserable. 

I've just accelerated my compost bin btw.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Slow and Steady said:

down the nearest road drain along with their old engine oil?

I very much doubt that

3 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

Snap the lid on the bucket, pop the bucket into the car. No mystery there!

And its great if you can do that, If I had to change my toilet I would probably take that route, but I don't live on a boat in London with no car or land.

• Greenie 1

I'm intrigued about the reference to 'yellow striped tiger bags' for human waste. We put our (bady) nappies straight into the bin or the Rayburn. I don't think this has happened in Wales, please explain.

• Greenie 1