C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

On 11/03/2022 at 13:19, LadyG said:

I don't see the problem, the stuff got re-cycled, just not by the LA, but by a third party. 

I've been stuck on the boat for four weeks, and had to conserve all my waste,  two very large plastic log sacks.

Far too much packaging, but that is inevitable unless we go back to 1960s when you went to the grocer and he cut butter off  a block, cheese from a large cheese and filled your own bottle with sherry from a barrel. The wrapping was greaseproof paper, no plastic film.

I don't think there is any way of stopping the use of plastics, everything is dependant on plastic film, bottles, containers. Even waxed paper drinks cartons have plastic,  medicines are in foil and bubble wrap, non recyclable. 

I remember getting loose frozen peas as a kid for mum that stopped when she found a frozen wood lice lol. But I agree so much was loose packed in paper bags 4oz of sugar coated lemon drops pls for 6d

On 11/03/2022 at 20:36, George and Dragon said:

I'm told Tesco can recycle any kind of plastic. Certainly most supermarkets take plastic film and carrier bags. I'd really rather put it in the bin the council provides but they seem to be much more interested in not recycling plastics.

Veering further off topic - why don't they recognise that a proportion of the male population is red/green colourblind?

perhaps that is why the include ticks and crosses to give them a clue?

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

perhaps that is why the include ticks and crosses to give them a clue?

I’m red/green (and brown) colour blind, so yes along with the thumbs up and thumbs down symbols the ticks and crosses are a dead give away for me.

If only white dog shit could be reintroduced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2022 at 15:27, TheBiscuits said:

There was that boat dug into a pond next to the Oxford(?) Canal ...

No not true! A farmer who had an issue with CRT about End of Field moorings decided to piss off CRT by putting hay bales and farm machinery in the locks at Napton. Following a prison sentence, he dug a pit near the canal then broke through the canal bank moored a boat there and bodged the bank back together. The man is a froot loop. A veritable Richard Head. He should go to prison again but CRT can't be arsed.

On 11/03/2022 at 15:08, George and Dragon said:

Burning isn't recycling.

It could be if the burning was used to heat some houses. They used to burn waste in Newark years ago to do just that.

3 hours ago, Maffi said:

he dug a pit near the canal then broke through the canal bank moored a boat there and bodged the bank back together.

That does sound remarkably like 

"dug into a pond next to the Oxford (?) Canal" to me.

I do think we are discussing the same boat in the same field ...

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That does sound remarkably like 

"dug into a pond next to the Oxford (?) Canal" to me.

I do think we are discussing the same boat in the same field ...

I have been up and down the canal a long time and never recall seeing a pond there. You may of course be right, it could have been a dew pond, but it was an argument between the farmer and CRT about EOF mooring payment that caused the boat to end up in the field. That edge of the field once used to have a number of boats along it indeed the "Moorings Available" sign is still in the tree at the end of the field.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Maffi said:

I have been up and down the canal a long time and never recall seeing a pond there. You may of course be right, it could have been a dew pond, but it was an argument between the farmer and CRT about EOF mooring payment that caused the boat to end up in the field. That edge of the field once used to have a number of boats along it indeed the "Moorings Available" sign is still in the tree at the end of the field.

When he first dug the channel and moved the boat in, he filled in behind it so sort repairing the bank, this left the boat floating in what I would call a pond.  (Pond - Wikipedia)   Last time I passed it looked very much as if it may have dried up, is so the bank that he chopped through doesn't leak any more 

1 hour ago, Maffi said:

Are you drawing a distinction between a pit (with water in it) and a pond?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

When he first dug the channel and moved the boat in, he filled in behind it so sort repairing the bank, this left the boat floating in what I would call a pond.  (Pond - Wikipedia)   Last time I passed it looked very much as if it may have dried up, is so the bank that he chopped through doesn't leak any more 

The boat was  in water when I passed this week, We did have a bit of rain last week though

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Hopefully he’ll use the opportunity to black the hull before floating it again.

Will be difficult to paint the base mind. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Another view on toilets......

I love this chap, he has zero experience of anything, but a few mins googling makes him an expert in any given field. You can even see the edits where he pauses to look something else up.

He makes lots of lovely points about his reasons for rejecting all the other systems he's never actually used (many of which are entirely irrelevant to boating) and then gives absolutely none for his choice or how he's going to deal with it. Magic perhaps?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I love this chap, he has zero experience of anything, but a few mins googling makes him an expert in any given field. You can even see the edits where he pauses to look something else up.

He makes lots of lovely points about his reasons for rejecting all the other systems he's never actually used (many of which are entirely irrelevant to boating) and then gives absolutely none for his choice or how he's going to deal with it. Magic perhaps?

Precisely. Another youtuber who likes the sound of his own voice too much.....20 minute monologue on toilets 🤦‍♂️ 

And he can't even pronounce formaldehyde. 

Edited by booke23

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I bet he doesn't get any condensation on the toilet porthole or pothole 😁

5 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Precisely. Another youtuber who likes the sound of his own voice too much.....20 minute monologue on toilets 🤦‍♂️ 

And he can't even pronounce formaldehyde. 

Is he relying on the poo fairy to dispose of his "compost"?

(just couldn't be arsed to listen to all of it, gave up after a minute or two...)