C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Just now, David Mack said:

Many plastic packaging items are indeed marked with a code indicating the material they are made from. Look for a symbol like this on the bottom:

pp-plastic.jpg

https://ismwaste.co.uk/help/seven-different-plastic-types

And then look on your council website or paper bumph to see which ones they want - good luck.

When I  complained to my council that none of my recycling had been collected I was told that it was because I had put a tinplate/lacquered steel biscuit tin in it. It was about 10" x 6" x 1.5". When I asked them how it differed from food cans because it would be magnetically sorted just the same they said that food cans are made from aluminum. I had a few more words and they came and collected the recycling. The problem is there is no clear and precise instructions, both within a council area  and between council areas so even if you want to recycle much of the time you are left to guess.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, captain flint said:

Oh, and Alan - when did the change in your refuse collection occur? 2018?

Back end of last year - its been a heck of a learning curve to get it right. The bin man kindly goes thru the 'top half' of each bin and takes out anything that shouldn't be there before he does the lift.

We do 'look after him' at various times of the year (Easter egg, Christmas 'box' etc)

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

PS, With my nerd hat on, and without criticism or wishing to detract from the quote, it isn't actually Plato, (although it's widely misattributed to him online). It's by George Francis Train (who?! no idea!), as published in Edmunds, A. C. (1871). Pen Sketches of Nebraskans (again, I'm not pretending to have any familiarity with this book!)

"Strange times are these, in which we live, forsooth ;

When young and old are taught in Falsehood's school:–
And the man who dares to tell the truth,
Is called at once a lunatic and fool."

Edited by captain flint
  • Greenie 1

Just now, captain flint said:

PS, With my nerd hat on, and without criticism or wishing to detract from the quote, it isn't actually Plato, (although it's widely misattributed to him online). It's by George Francis Train (who?! no idea!), as published in Edmunds, A. C. (1871). Pen Sketches of Nebraskans (again, I'm not pretending to have any familiarity with this book!)

So good you said it twice !

• Haha 1

A couple of years ago, Private Eye highlighed the case of a Northern LA that had had an exemplary reycling record. It had also contracted with a power company to supply it with their non-recyclable  stuff to burn for power generation. Unfortunately it was found that the non-recyclable residue had such a low calorific value that it didn't provide the minimum energy specified in the contract. To avoid having to pay expensive penalty charges for breach of contract, they had had to send the energy company substantial quantities of recyclable plastics.

• Unimpressed 1

30 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

A couple of years ago, Private Eye highlighed the case of a Northern LA that had had an exemplary reycling record. It had also contracted with a power company to supply it with their non-recyclable  stuff to burn for power generation. Unfortunately it was found that the non-recyclable residue had such a low calorific value that it didn't provide the minimum energy specified in the contract. To avoid having to pay expensive penalty charges for breach of contract, they had had to send the energy company substantial quantities of recyclable plastics.

I don't see the problem, the stuff got re-cycled, just not by the LA, but by a third party. 

I've been stuck on the boat for four weeks, and had to conserve all my waste,  two very large plastic log sacks.

Far too much packaging, but that is inevitable unless we go back to 1960s when you went to the grocer and he cut butter off  a block, cheese from a large cheese and filled your own bottle with sherry from a barrel. The wrapping was greaseproof paper, no plastic film.

I don't think there is any way of stopping the use of plastics, everything is dependant on plastic film, bottles, containers. Even waxed paper drinks cartons have plastic,  medicines are in foil and bubble wrap, non recyclable. 

Edited by LadyG

54 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

And then look on your council website or paper bumph to see which ones they want - good luck.

When I  complained to my council that none of my recycling had been collected I was told that it was because I had put a tinplate/lacquered steel biscuit tin in it. It was about 10" x 6" x 1.5". When I asked them how it differed from food cans because it would be magnetically sorted just the same they said that food cans are made from aluminum. I had a few more words and they came and collected the recycling. The problem is there is no clear and precise instructions, both within a council area  and between council areas so even if you want to recycle much of the time you are left to guess.

This id ours Recycling in Suffolk » East Suffolk Council

image.png

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

image.png.6d7be5fba23e406bc1882a3762fd2052.png

48 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Nothing new! Cambridge's Cheddars Lane Pumping Station was built in Victorian times to pump the city's sewage to a new treatment plant and the steam engine's boilers were fueled by municipal waste. Until WW2 when the recycling drive reduced the calorific value of the waste and they had to start using coal.

The co-op is recycling plastic film, that's bags and wrappings. Just dropped off 2 carrier bags full while doing the shopping. There's a bin in the store, it was overflowing, so must be popular. 

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Burning isn't recycling.

Agreed, but if the plastic is not recyclable then at least it is recycling some of the energy it contains and as long as the burning is hot enough and properly controlled is arguably less polluting than it escaping from landfill or being dumped abroad.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't see the problem, the stuff got re-cycled, just not by the LA, but by a third party. 

I think a problem from the council's point of view would be a lower place in the recycling league figures ( if such a thing exists).

For some years, government has been driven by the holy grail of a performance management philosophy  which is often ( usually in my time in the  civil service )  based on figures  that do not reflect the true  overall performance but are easy to collect. 

Real-life systems generally involve finding a mid-way point between mutually conflicting requirements, such that the optimum arrangement is one in which no one parameter is perfect. Continued demands for  efficiency savings tend to result in the people who have to keep budgetting happy, changing one of the non-optimum criteria so that they can produce figures that show an improvement has been made, but which results in other things getting worse. 

Thus restricting the amount and type if goods that council civic amenity points will accept, saves them money, but results in increased fly-tipping, for which the cost of clearing up comes out of someone else's budget (at least, that is the situation in Essex, according to our local councillor) .

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm very confused with this post - you can recycle (1st List) :

Nappies

Batteries

Plastic bags and films

Textiles

When the last inserted picture says 

No Black sacks, plastic bags or wrappers

No nappies

No textiles

Is the post a mix of what can and cannot be recycled ?

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm very confused with this post - you can recycle (1st List) :

Nappies

Batteries

Plastic bags and films

Textiles

When the last inserted picture says 

No Black sacks, plastic bags or wrappers

No nappies

No textiles

Is the post a mix of what can and cannot be recycled ?

I havent seen how it appeared on the forum yet, but there should be what you can and cant recycle, the things you list should be in the can't. I may have to go back to edit it if its confusing.

Too late to edit, the green you can and under that the list and red you cant

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

The co-op is recycling plastic film, that's bags and wrappings. Just dropped off 2 carrier bags full while doing the shopping. There's a bin in the store, it was overflowing, so must be popular. 

I'm told Tesco can recycle any kind of plastic. Certainly most supermarkets take plastic film and carrier bags. I'd really rather put it in the bin the council provides but they seem to be much more interested in not recycling plastics.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Too late to edit, the green you can and under that the list and red you cant

Veering further off topic - why don't they recognise that a proportion of the male population is red/green colourblind?

31 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Veering further off topic - why don't they recognise that a proportion of the male population is red/green colourblind?

If its read in context and not how I cut and pasted bits (badly) it would be obvious in even black and white.

22 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No glass bottles, we are supposed to take them to a bottle bank -

You should move to Wiltshire Tony. They collect glass bottles and jars in the re-cycling lorry! 

Very convenient indeed as no more trips to the glass recycling skips at Asda, which play havoc with one's tinnitus...

P.S. They wrote to us recently telling us we no longer needed to remove caps, corks and paper labels from the glass before putting it in the recycling. As if anyone ever did any of that anyway....!

We in Swansea can recycle glass and metal and paper and cardboard, hard plastics, milk cartons etc but not carrier bags or flimsy plastic along with food waste and garden waste..

plastic and non recyclables I.e. black bags, three per household, one week and the rest the following week.

I have no idea what happens to it once the bin men take it away

I find it very confusing knowing what is acceptable to put in which recycling bin.  Up here, this varies between local authorities and I am sure it is the same in England and Wales. When boating we do try to recycle but it is sometimes a puzzle knowing what to put where. 

Our council stopped accepting shredded paper in our paper recycling sacks  a couple of years ago. We still have an open fire with a drop front all-night burner that gets occasional use, and when we want to keep it in all night, I bank the fire with smokeless and apply a thick layer of the shredded paper. The shreds are about 20mm x 2mm. 

4 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Our council stopped accepting shredded paper in our paper recycling sacks  a couple of years ago. We still have an open fire with a drop front all-night burner that gets occasional use, and when we want to keep it in all night, I bank the fire with smokeless and apply a thick layer of the shredded paper. The shreds are about 20mm x 2mm. 

Same as out council but I have been putting our on the garden compost heap for years. I think I might be aallowed to dispose of it if I put it on an envelope.