C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Amen to that!  With patience and some understanding of all the needs of boaters lets hope 'Reconomy' will see the potential of providing waste disposal for dry toilet users and hopefully C&RT will then have less problems with blocked Elsans and unsatisfactorily dried human waste being mixed with general waste. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is there any specific reason why every boater should pay for 1000 (?) boaters to have their toilets emptied ?

All boaters do not contribute to the costs of pump-outs. Those that use - pay.

Maybe the 1000 (?) composting boaters should pay £263 each per annum, which, if you are correct, would be hugely reducing in the future, as 10's of thousands convert to composting.

We don't even know how many boats have separating loos, let alone which ones they are, so charging the culprits might be difficult.

There is no reason at all why everyone should pay for the few, apart from the fact that it is the solution least likely to be ineffective.

We all pay for showers that few of us use. We all pay for the Elsan points and for the evacuation of the underground storage tanks into which many of them empty, but far from all of us use them.

Of course using a few pounds from everyone's licence fee isn't ideal, but it may prove to be the option most likely to work.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

We don't even know how many boats have separating loos, let alone which ones they are, so charging the culprits might be difficult.

If you try to think of ways to implement the charge, instead of ways to avoid the charge, or reasons not to do it because 'its too difficult' you'd realise how simple it could be.

Try it - there are a couple of obvious ways.

Lets see if you can come up with the same ones I have.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

Not knowing the age of the poster I can't comment on whether the behaviour is suitable for the age group.   However going back to look for posts you have clearly read before and not reacted to is more than a little strange.

He’s a no-body, a sad  person who has nothing to do with the Canals anymore, had a boat a couple of years then realised he couldn’t afford it, now he just comes on here to have arguments. 

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

He’s a no-body, a sad  person who has nothing to do with the Canals anymore, had a boat a couple of years then realised he couldn’t afford it, now he just comes on here to have arguments. 

I would respond to point out the inaccurate nature of that post and its content but as you have clearly come on to re ignite a long since extinguished discussion and try and get a response from me that will no doubt upset the snowflakes on here I will not bother.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you trying to get the thread locked ?

No I dont believe so, just trying to get a response from me.

Just to add if the thread does get locked its not due to me reporting that particular post I haven't. 

As I have said to him previously 'sticks n stones'. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you trying to get the thread locked ?

Sorry Alan, I know we don’t see eye to eye sometimes, but I do respect your knowledge, passion of the water and boats,  but this guy is “Toxic” with his disrespect to other members, always citing for a argument or fight. “Toxic”

As previously mentioned, now he’s adding Childish Emojis.

He’s an old man, that life has passed by😂

Edited by PD1964

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you try to think of ways to implement the charge, instead of ways to avoid the charge, or reasons not to do it because 'its too difficult' you'd realise how simple it could be.

Try it - there are a couple of obvious ways.

Lets see if you can come up with the same ones I have.

We don't know how may people compost, we don't know who they are and the equipment they use is lightweight, need have little or no fixed pipework and is pretty much portable: good luck with enforcing a charge specific to just them.

• Greenie 1

On 12/08/2021 at 23:39, Bargebuilder said:

If a ban can't guarantee that C&RT bins are free from uncomposted toilet waste, and waste carriers threaten fines or complete service removal, if not providing a dedicated bin for such waste, then what else can the C&RT do.

This technology works for dogs, so could easily be applied to humans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-56324906

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

On 13/08/2021 at 14:49, Alan de Enfield said:

Law breakers will always be law breakers, some folks are just bred that way.

Should we do nothing because someone will find a way around it ?

Indeed, or as my grandfather used to say "tha can't breed tame uns off wild uns!"

Edited by cuthound
Grandma

As I've said before, everyone breaks some law or other virtually every day; it's almost impossible not to. A law doesn't mean you shouldn't do something, it just means there's a penalty if you get caught doing it. Certainly most people readjust their boats back to normality after the BSS, and change/hide a few things before it. Most of it is pointless and a waste of time and money. It doesn't matter if a few people disregard a BSS ban on composting toilets and put them back after a test because  most people won't because of the hassle, new boats won't have them installed, and exceptions can be made for those currently with them who have real composting facilities.

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Someone has posted on Facebook about someone filling and blocking the elsan at Cropredy with engine oil. Perhaps we should ban engines.

I saw an old fridge by the rubbish bins at Cowley, perhaps we should ban fridges. 

If the Cropredy elsan goes to a septic tank, that will have killed it stone dead, and the normal tank emptying people won't touch it, so that'll take a while. When my next door neighbour did much the same  their tank exploded killing local trees and polluting the fields and a nearby stream for several years after. Whoever did it should have their boat taken off them and be prosecuted. Except they'll be anonymous and miles away by now, thinking how clever they've been.

As for the fridge, the odd site where things like that can be left (including engine oil) would be an asset. Not every waste place, but maybe one in every area, well advertised.

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Perhaps we should ban engines.

I saw an old fridge by the rubbish bins at Cowley, perhaps we should ban fridges. 

Whilst you are at it, someone got killed by a car - maybe we should ban cars.................

Someone was killed by food poisoning, maybe we should ban food.

Stupid comments like yours do nothing to further the resolving of a serious issue.

💩

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whilst you are at it, someone got killed by a car - maybe we should ban cars.................

Someone was killed by food poisoning, maybe we should ban food.

Stupid comments like yours do nothing to further the resolving of a serious issue.

💩

I don't see the difference between banning composting toilets because some bad people put the contents of their toilet in the bins and banning engines because some bad people put their engine oil down an elsan. Why is my comment stupid?

19 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I don't see the difference between banning composting toilets because some bad people put the contents of their toilet in the bins and banning engines because some bad people put their engine oil down an elsan. Why is my comment stupid?

Well, if you cannot see the difference there is little point in trying to explain it.

9 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Ok. People with composting toilets are obviously not liked here

I now realise where you are 'coming from' you are one of them ....................

Composting toilets are not disliked here, owners of boats with composting toilets are not disiked here.

It is the owners of composting toilets who tip their uncomposted faeces into public 'general waste' bins that are deservedly disliked, detested and / or vilified by all. 

Owners who have the correct facilities to PROPERLY compost the toilet waste, should be congratulated and held in high esteeem - unfortunately very few boaters seem to understand the difference and are unable to accept that bagging and binning 2 week old, 3 week old, 4 week old, toilet content is NOT composting.

• Greenie 4

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Owners who have the correct facilities to PROPERLY compost the toilet waste, should be congratulated and held in high esteeem - unfortunately very few boaters seem to understand the difference and are unable to accept that bagging and binning 2 week old, 3 week old, 4 week old, toilet content is NOT composting.

I suspect certain owners of separating toilets understand the difference perfectly well but choose to pretend not to, in order to remain in denial about the disgusting way in which they dispose of their excrement instead of actually composting it. 

Edited by MtB
Finesse a point.
  • Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

A word of advice though, don't forget to empty it before collapsing it down and putting it away in its bag. 

image.png.20041a1a4ede2a2103359acfca8f066d.png

Sounds like that is from first hand experience 😂