C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Do 'many' have separating bogs in their electric vehicles (EVs) then? 

They come as an optional extra for those like me, of a certain age with weak bladders, find attractive. It increases one's range. 

12 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

They come as an optional extra for those like me, of a certain age with weak bladders, find attractive. It increases one's range. 

AMAZIN'! ... I just had a quick scan through the Tesla model range and NONE of 'em mentions they come with a composting bog. They must have forgotten to mention it.

Many thanks. One lives and learns...

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

AMAZIN'! ... I just had a quick scan through the Tesla model range and NONE of 'em mentions they come with a composting bog. They must have forgotten to mention it.

Many thanks. One lives and learns...

Tesla have a long way to go to catch up with BMWs accessory list :

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his BMW into a petrol station in a remote part of the Irish countryside. The pump attendant, obviously knows nothing about golf, greets him in a typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is.

"Top of the mornin' to yer, sir" says the attendant.

Tiger nods a quick "hello" and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two tees fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

"What are those?", asks the attendant.

"They're called tees" replies Tiger.

"Well, what on the god's earth are dey for?" inquires the Irishman.

"They're for resting my balls on when I'm driving", says Tiger.

"Fookin Jaysus", says the Irishman, "BMW thinks of everything."

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

You got it in one.   I was nearly trying to get a thread on poo disposal back on track and away from a discussion on EV charging.  My wife has just confirmed to me that my brand of humour is indecipherable to the general population as well as her.  I shall now crawl back into my man-cave.  

Irony is often missed or misinterpreted on t'interweb...;-)

Does your man-cave have a composting toilet?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Irony is often missed or misinterpreted on t'interweb...;-)

Does your man-cave have a composting toilet?

Yes, but it doesn't separate and has to be pumped out about every three weeks.  In truth it isn't very efficient at composting. 

1 minute ago, Idle Days said:

Yes, but it doesn't separate and has to be pumped out about every three weeks.  In truth it isn't very efficient at composting. 

Ooh, a new hybrid sanitary device -- the semi-composting pumpout toilet 😉

Does it cost extra like a hybrid electric boat?

So to drag this back on track, and as a genuinely interested question... possibly one for @peterboat as he does it properly.

What happens to all the pee from a separating loo on a boat ? Given it must be the biggest thing in terms of volume you produce.

I know how land based composting loos work, in terms of actually physically splitting the pee from the solids, but I'm only familiar with the ones we use on areas such as Dartmoor in some of the stone shelters we use where it basically just drains into the equivalent of an earth soakaway, with the solids diverted to a separated heap with sawdust every 'delivery' that gets turned every so often.

Does it collect in a large receptacle (like a cassette) that gets emptied into an elsan ? I'm aware that some will have means of disposing of it in the cut, but I'm interested in what the correct and recommended means of disposal is. If it's pouring it down the elsan then I'm not quite getting why that's so much nicer than just having a cassette and emptying the whole lot at once. And yes I get that some people do it properly for reasons of creating compost and for environmental reasons (we have an allotment working on organic principles so I'm well versed in why someone would want to do it properly). 

I guess I'm missing the bit why someone would bag and bin if they still have to deal with the 'wet' bit.

As I said, genuinely interested as I have no axe to grind. Cassette bog ourselves and happy to admit to peeing in the hedge when our last cassette has been getting full and we haven't been close to an elsan point !

1 minute ago, gatekrash said:

So to drag this back on track, and as a genuinely interested question... possibly one for @peterboat as he does it properly.

What happens to all the pee from a separating loo on a boat ? Given it must be the biggest thing in terms of volume you produce.

I know how land based composting loos work, in terms of actually physically splitting the pee from the solids, but I'm only familiar with the ones we use on areas such as Dartmoor in some of the stone shelters we use where it basically just drains into the equivalent of an earth soakaway, with the solids diverted to a separated heap with sawdust every 'delivery' that gets turned every so often.

Does it collect in a large receptacle (like a cassette) that gets emptied into an elsan ? I'm aware that some will have means of disposing of it in the cut, but I'm interested in what the correct and recommended means of disposal is. If it's pouring it down the elsan then I'm not quite getting why that's so much nicer than just having a cassette and emptying the whole lot at once. And yes I get that some people do it properly for reasons of creating compost and for environmental reasons (we have an allotment working on organic principles so I'm well versed in why someone would want to do it properly). 

I guess I'm missing the bit why someone would bag and bin if they still have to deal with the 'wet' bit.

As I said, genuinely interested as I have no axe to grind. Cassette bog ourselves and happy to admit to peeing in the hedge when our last cassette has been getting full and we haven't been close to an elsan point !

Several people have admitted they just pour it in the hedgerow. I don't think that is the correct thing to do.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Several people have admitted they just pour it in the hedgerow. I don't think that is the correct thing to do.

Presumably the same people who dispose of the solid waste in CART bins, also not the correct thing to do...:-(

7 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

If it's pouring it down the elsan then I'm not quite getting why that's so much nicer than just having a cassette and emptying the whole lot at once.

I think most people would find emptying a container of urine into an elsan point easier and less unpleasant than dealing with a cassette of poo, toilet paper, urine, water and blue.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, gatekrash said:

I used to pour it on waste ground, but now I use it on the allotment as it's a valuable source of nutrients which some plants appreciate 

27 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I used to pour it on waste ground, but now I use it on the allotment as it's a valuable source of nutrients which some plants appreciate 

The Mrs (allotment expert) has asked if you use it neat or water it down before applying.

I've occasionally pee'd on the compost heap to make sure it's activated 😃

6 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

The Mrs (allotment expert) has asked if you use it neat or water it down before applying.

I've occasionally pee'd on the compost heap to make sure it's activated 😃

Water it down, I have 2 IBCs which catch rain via roof on shed one has wee tother doesn't, I have a list of plants that like wee, I do add it to compost heap as well occasionally. It seems to be working as things are growing 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, peterboat said:

.............................. I do add it to compost heap as well occasionally. It seems to be working as things are growing 

Hah! there's the answer for compost bog owners - growbags on the roof!

When I visited the Centre for Alternative Technogy in North Wales in the 1970's, they had a vertical bale of straw in the gents that visitors were invited to urinate into instead of the conventional urinal that was also provided. A notice said that you could do this at home with a bale in your garden or greenhouse, and later use it for  compost. 

When a mixed group of us used to hire boats, the ladies always went on ahead on the way back to the boat after our nightly pub visits,  so that the guys could (carefully!) fertilise the nettles that always seemed to grow so abundantly along the towpath fence. 

As a matter of interest, what do the modern composting toilets "flush" with? I have books on domestic sanitation that describe the "Earth Closet" that was invented (and patented) in mid-Victorian times times by a vicar, and widely used on the railways at remote signal boxes and other locations well into the 20th century where there was no access to sewers. A 1960's book recites the then-current building regulations that had to be met for using them for dwellings, incuding the need for access to only be possible via the open air.  They used fine dried earth or the ash from stoves or fires (signal boxes were  provided with a sold fuel stove cum oven for the signalman's heating and cooking, so there was a plentiful supply if ash: sieving to remove clinker and unburnt fuel was recommended), and some types automatically deposited enough ash to cover the deposit after each use, operated by rising from the seat. The dry and sterile ash was apparently effective in rapidly dessicating poo. 

In UK patent law there is an order for costs that can be awarded to one of the parties called the "Earth Closet Order", after a case which involved litigation over a patent for such a device. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

17 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

When I visited the Centre for Alternative Technogy in North Wales in the 1970's, they had a vertical bale of straw in the gents that visitors were invited to urinate into instead of the conventional urinal that was also provided. A notice said that you could do this at home with a bale in your garden or greenhouse, and later use it for  compost. 

When a mixed group of us used to hire boats, the ladies always went on ahead on the way back to the boat after our nightly pub visits,  so that the guys could (carefully!) fertilise the nettles that always seemed to grow so abundantly along the towpath fence. 

As a matter of interest, what do the modern composting toilets "flush" with? I have books on domestic sanitation that describe the "Earth Closet" that was invented (and patented) in mid-Victorian times times by a vicar, and widely used on the railways at remote signal boxes and other locations well into the 20th century where there was no access to sewers. A 1960's book recites the then-current building regulations that had to be met for using them for dwellings, incuding the need for access to only be possible via the open air.  They used fine dried earth or the ash from stoves or fires (signal boxes were  provided with a sold fuel stove cum oven for the signalman's heating and cooking, so there was a plentiful supply if ash: sieving to remove clinker and unburnt fuel was recommended), and some types automatically deposited enough ash to cover the deposit after each use, operated by rising from the seat. The dry and sterile ash was apparently effective in rapidly dessicating poo. 

In UK patent law there is an order for costs that can be awarded to one of the parties called the "Earth Closet Order", after a case which involved litigation over a patent for such a device. 

Our 'family home' was built in the 1600s and was the local 'Manor House'.

There was a brick 'lean-to' attached to the rear of the back-kitchen, inside which was a three seater 'Earth Closet' for use by the sevants. It (apparently) was topped up with ash or soil each day and emptied when full and used as fertiliser on the fields or gardens.

It  was still in situ in the 1950s & 60's when we lived there, although I used it as a 'shed' to keep my ferrets in.

This is a Google image but it looked very similar to this except the base was brick with a small flap built into it for shovelling out the muck.

Three Toilets High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

‘…How dare
Your dainty nostrils (in so hot a season,
When every clerk eats artichokes, and peason,
Laxative lettuce, and such windy meat)
‘Tempt such a passage? When each privy’s seat
Is filled with buttock? And the walls do sweat
Urine, and plasters? When the noise doth beat
Upon your ears, of discords so unsweet?
And outcries of the damned in the Fleet?’

Ben Jonson, 1612

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gatekrash said:

Does it collect in a large receptacle (like a cassette) that gets emptied into an elsan ?

Yes.  We don't have an issue with emptying it into a hedgerow when out in the rural areas, but I spend too much time complaining to cassette and pumpout users who empty separated wee into the cut.

I explain to them that it's too good a plant food, so causes extreme weed growth if it's put in the canal.

Most of ours goes in the elsan points, and we definitely don't tip it in the canal, but we cruise so much that it's rare we don't pass an elsan every two days and we have storage for four days.  If we're moored up for longer we seek alternative disposal.  Remember it's only wee, so we have often - with permission - poured it into pub toilets.  I wouldn't dream of tipping a Thetford cassette into a pub toilet.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh how lovely for you.

If the scummy end of the spectrum are gonna start chucking bags of it in the cut, they might as well use a bucket and empty it straight in the cut. 

Some aready do just chuck it over the side, just visit the London and see the floaters in the cut. As for the bag, there were others stacked next to the bins at the Esian point in March, which is blocked again with compost tolet waste.