C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I can't even log onto it, not that it matters as I don't do Facebook she needs to remember her research is fatally flawed as plenty are like me

You don't have to be on FB, that is just where she advertised it. Its a Google thing. In fact she asks for it to be shared outside FB

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I tried to complete it but having said I was  boater and did not have a separating toilet, and clicking next, I got the message that I had said i was not a boater therefore I could not continue. Brian do you have a contact to relay this information back?

haggis

I found the same.

It appears that the author only wants feedback from composting loos owners, presumably so she can claim 100% of people questioned want them to continue.

Worst case of selection bias I have ever seen in a questionnaire.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I found the same.

It appears that the author only wants feedback from composting loos owners, presumably so she can claim 100% of people questioned want them to continue.

I tried it as a 'boater' with no intention of buying a composting toilet and got :

The Separator Census

Thank you - you have said you are not a boater or do not have or plan to have a separating toilet
Thank you very much for your interest in the survey; however, it is for boaters on the UK who currently own/use or are planning to buy, a separating toilet. We hope you will be interested in the results which will be shared on the "Compost Toilets for Boats and Off Grid Living group on Facebook".

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I found the same.

It all depends on the purpose of the survey. If the aim is to find out how many waterless toilets there are on boats and how people dispose of the solids then it is OK to exclude boaters who don't not have a waterless toilet. If on the other hand, the survey is to find out boaters views on how solids should be dealt with the survey is seriously flawed. She does say she is "counting toilets"  so I assume the purpose is the former.

Haggis

Arthur can type faster than me ?  (most people can!) 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Presumably it's to find out what those with composters do with their product, and what they think they could do in future ,  so not a lot of point in getting the rest of us to, er, muddy the water. The selection criteria would therefore be correct.

(Dead heat with haggis below!)

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

It all depends on the purpose of the survey. If the aim is to find out how many waterless toilets there are on boats and how people dispose of the solids then it is OK to exclude boaters who don't not have a waterless toilet. If on the other hand, the survey is to find out boaters views on how solids should be dealt with the survey is seriously flawed. She does say she is "counting toilets"  so I assume the purpose is the former.

Haggis

Arthur can type faster than me ?  (most people can!) 

I completed the survey by saying i was thinking of getting a composting toilet.

The questions relate to when you are going to get one, how many nights you spend aboard, the type of mooring you have, how you intend to dispose of the waste and if a composting service was available how much you would be prepared to pay (£0, £5, or cost of a pumpout).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I tried it as a 'boater' with no intention of buying a composting toilet and got :

The Separator Census

Thank you - you have said you are not a boater or do not have or plan to have a separating toilet
Thank you very much for your interest in the survey; however, it is for boaters on the UK who currently own/use or are planning to buy, a separating toilet. We hope you will be interested in the results which will be shared on the "Compost Toilets for Boats and Off Grid Living group on Facebook".

You could always go through the motions Alan ............

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I completed the survey by saying i was thinking of getting a composting toilet.

The questions relate to when you are going to get one, how many nights you spend aboard, the type of mooring you have, how you intend to dispose of the waste and if a composting service was available how much you would be prepared to pay (£0, £5, or cost of a pumpout).

I thought of doing that but thought it would affect the result . 

Haggis

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

I thought of doing that but thought it would affect the result . 

Haggis

Surely some people would consider getting one but then decide not to, particularly in the light of CRT's latest policy. Therefore a handful of people doing this wouldnt affect the results unduly.

Just now, Morningmist said:

Getting rid of the solid wast of a composting toilet has anyone considered burning small amounts on their wood burner/ multi stove. Surely this would be a practical solution to the problem. 

Funny you should say that, I was thinking of doing that with my doggies doo doos!

Getting rid of the solid wast of a composting toilet has anyone considered burning small amounts on their wood burner/ multi stove. Surely this would be a practical solution to the problem. 

We have a composting loo and given the latest advice from CRT we have been experimenting with burning small amounts placed in waxed paper bags on to our multi stove when it has a good glow going 200c.  After about 10 minutes it's all gone, and in the morning we have just ash.  I hope I am not missing anything as it seems a good solution to the problem.

11 minutes ago, Morningmist said:

We have a composting loo and given the latest advice from CRT we have been experimenting with burning small amounts placed in waxed paper bags on to our multi stove when it has a good glow going 200c.  After about 10 minutes it's all gone, and in the morning we have just ash.  I hope I am not missing anything as it seems a good solution to the problem.

What about the neighbours or people walking past the boat. They might be thinking I love the smell of burning word then snort in you Poop smoke.

43 minutes ago, Morningmist said:

SO what would think about doggie doo in a plastic/poly bag. Coz it gets picked up in a plastic bag that everyone says is bad for the environment! Never liked burning plastic on the stove.