C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Dr Bob is quoting from a survey taken on the facebook group "Compost Toilets for Boats and Off-Grid Living". This group has 7,657 members. Obviously not all of them are UK boaters with a dry toilet but I bet that way more than 200 of them are.

Like I said, if someone comes up with a better number backed by facts that would be great.

Your bet is just as much of a guess as the numbers I gave, the vast majority of composting toilets are likely to be on land outside the UK for obvious reasons...

On 12/02/2021 at 19:50, Alan de Enfield said:

It looks as if they have finally been told by Biffa the same as the Marinas have been told. "The emptying of Composting Toilet Waste into bins contravenes the 'Transfer of Waste' legislation". 

Don't accept it in your bins.

I have to list what goes into our Biffa bin and if they find anything that they have not agreed to there are big fines.

Some idiot in Banbury emptied a composting bin in the elsan last week and blocked it solid!

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, Maffi said:

Some idiot in Banbury emptied a composting bin in the elsan last week and blocked it solid!

What, black bag and all? 

I understood it was nice and crumbly like early season leaf mould? 

Did he not read The Word from Damian about seeking out local compost depositories? 

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

What, black bag and all? 

I understood it was nice and crumbly like early season leaf mould? 

Did he not read The Word from Damian about seeking out local compost depositories? 

It is after 2-3 years composting.  It's the lenght of time to compost properly thats the problem.

Bod.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Next they will say you cant put things like a  used nappy or cat litter or dog poo  in a  domestic refuse bin ?

Why is  composting toilet waste  worse ? 

Well IMO it is the sheer quantity/weight of feaces compared to the amount in say the same weight of nappies or cat litter.

Just my opinion other opinions are available.

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Next they will say you cant put things like a  used nappy or cat litter or dog poo  in a  domestic refuse bin ?

Remember we are not discussing 'domestic' bins, we are talking about uncontolled waste going into 100s (if not '000s) bins of a commercial company. Very different laws apply to waste disposal.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

43 minutes ago, MartynG said:

No "they" won't -- I posted earlier (on page 13) that a single bag (from one boat) with 7kg of dried poo from a composting toilet probably contains about the same amount of faecal matter as a quarter of a ton of used nappies...

It's not the fact that it's poo that's the problem, it's the quantity. Never mind the quality, feel the width ?

Edited by IanD

Apologies if this has been covered upthread, but why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of making compost and then just throw it away? That isn't environmental awareness, it's greenwash.

Far better to dispose of waste properly, and let the people who are geared up for it, deal with it. The water companies all have huge sewage treatment plants (I've been on quite a few of them). The only problem is getting the stuff there in the first place.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Apologies if this has been covered upthread, but why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of making compost and then just throw it away? That isn't environmental awareness, it's greenwash.

Far better to dispose of waste properly, and let the people who are geared up for it, deal with it. The water companies all have huge sewage treatment plants (I've been on quite a few of them). The only problem is getting the stuff there in the first place.

What is being bagged and binned most of the time is not compost, its dehydrated poo mixed with some type of bulking product that helps with the drying process 

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Its not your domestic bin, its a commercial bin, supposedly hand sorted by a commercial company. But to date we still only have that one sentence from Damion. I have never ever know people so keep to bring in a new rule with no consultation etc.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What is being bagged and binned most of the time is not compost, its dehydrated poo mixed with some type of bulking product that helps with the drying process 

I think it has been suggested that what is actually being 'binned' is the bucket that collects the daily output, some of which will be a few days old, and the stuff on top will be 'that days' output.

The issue is that the next stage (and stage after) of the composting process is the stage where the boater doesn't want a bucket of poo under their bed for 12 months so they dump-it.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it has been suggested that what is actually being 'binned' is the bucket that collects the daily output, some of which will be a few days old, and the stuff on top will be 'that days' output.

The issue is that the next stage (and stage after) of the composting process is the stage where the boater doesn't want a bucket of poo under their bed for 12 months so they dump-it.

Which I think is what I said, whatever anyone says the dry peaty output from the collection bucket isn't compost it's dehydrated poo.

I have my doubts about how composted dehydrated waste stored in a bucket would be as well, although I do know some people do manage it somehow, it takes a lot of time and effort.

I do agree though if someone is actually properly composting their waste and then binning it, well that is just insanity, although I do remember Dad showing me the green waste bins at his allotment and his disbelief at the stupidity of it, so maybe people do properly compost and then throw it away :)

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

I see it that a boat with a composting toilet is not really geared up for the amount of waste two people produce. The lack of storage space, and the timescale needed to properly treat it just doesn’t add up.

It is then going into the bins, still wet, and I did experience this when lifting a bin lid last summer.

It’s not acceptable really, and I’m not surprised it has become an issue.

1 hour ago, Jon johan said:

I see it that a boat with a composting toilet is not really geared up for the amount of waste two people produce. The lack of storage space, and the timescale needed to properly treat it just doesn’t add up.

It is then going into the bins, still wet, and I did experience this when lifting a bin lid last summer.

It’s not acceptable really, and I’m not surprised it has become an issue.

Repeating myself for the umpeenth time.  The issue is not about the poo being produced.  The issue is that last thursday and for years up to that point, CRT say it was ok.  Then, out of the blue on friday, they say it's not ok.  When people have bought loos costing nearly £1000 because it's deemed 'ok'.  That's not acceptable and I predict the usually CRT fudge over the next few years.

• Greenie 2

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

When people have bought loos costing nearly £1000 because it's deemed 'ok'.  That's not acceptable and I predict the usually CRT fudge over the next few years.

When C&RT announced the fat-boat restrictions it was 'we need 2 weeks notice', this was then reduced to 'we need 1 weeks notice', this was then furher reduced to 'if you cannot give any notice just give us a call'

They really couldn't organise a drinking extravaganza in a brewing establishment.

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The issue is not about the poo being produced. 
The issue is that last thursday and for years up to that point, CRT say it was ok.  

Actually I think it is. When just a few people where bag & binning it was within the waste transfer rules
CaRT based the original guidance on the above. Things change - guidance changes.

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Actually I think it is. When just a few people where bag & binning it was withing the waste transfer rules
CaRT based the original guidance on the above. Things change - guidance changes.

That may also be part of the issue, but C&RT, whilst having Biffa at their backs and possible curtailment of collection, have not shown to have consulted with anybody before making the instant decision and about turn, or even offered a sensible amount of time for those dry toilet owners (who do not compost) to make alternative arrangements. Hence I suspect there will be more of what Mafi discovered...i.e blocked elsans.