3d printed timing tool

p6rob

Featured Posts

Still a work in progress but I have now got a usable printed timing tool for the 1500. To make it involved learning how to use CAD software which was an interesting lockdown distraction.

It took about 9 hours to print in total, I'm sure the printer settings can be tweaked a bit to reduce that, perhaps that'll be the next lockdown project.

timingtool.jpg

• Greenie 2

That is very good.

Is the splined shaft hollow?  If not taking the core out will make it a bit quicker to print, and save on material without affecting its usage.  You could also add some lightening holes to the main disc if you can site them so as not to affect the function.

Which CAD package did you use?

N

7 minutes ago, BEngo said:

That is very good.

Thanks.

Is the splined shaft hollow?  If not taking the core out will make it a bit quicker to print, and save on material without affecting its usage.  You could also add some lightening holes to the main disc if you can site them so as not to affect the function.

No it's not hollow on this version but I'll give that a go. The first trial was a bit of a tight fit and actually broke when I tried removing it from the drive gear, so was thinking of putting a cap head bolt down the centre.

N

Freecad. No prior experience but have been watching lots of tutorials and although half the time I don't understand the terminology, I've so far managed to make a few parts for my pre war Armstrong Siddeley car and now this.

22 minutes ago, BEngo said:

That is very good.

N

I think the disk is too small in that it will sit inside the studs that secure the pump. The gauges that look like this one seem to have an additional arm with a knife edge for scribing against so I wonder if it is used for scribing the datum line on the PUMP, not setting the pointer.

A significantly undersized disk will give ample opportunity for parallax error when setting the pointer that will probably be over 0.5" away from the adjustable pointer.

The one for setting the pointer looks like this:1486730150_Screenshotfrom2021-02-0921-12-38.png.7f03d43e874927aedd116b2e13b97e30.png

The slot in the plate fits over the stud so the pointer and datum line on the gauge are very close.  If @p6rob decides to increase the diameter of the teh disk it will need three slots, one for each stud.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think the disk is too small in that it will sit inside the studs that secure the pump. The gauges that look like this one seem to have an additional arm with a knife edge for scribing against so I wonder if it is used for scribing the datum line on the PUMP, not setting the pointer.

A significantly undersized disk will give ample opportunity for parallax error when setting the pointer that will probably be over 0.5" away from the adjustable pointer.

The one for setting the pointer looks like this:1486730150_Screenshotfrom2021-02-0921-12-38.png.7f03d43e874927aedd116b2e13b97e30.png

The slot in the plate fits over the stud so the pointer and datum line on the gauge are very close.  If @p6rob decides to increase the diameter of the teh disk it will need three slots, one for each stud.

Tony, I took on board your comments yesterday and can assure you that it fits over the studs and the notch is within about 2mm of the pointer. 

Rob

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

What a good idea. Will you be making the files available when you've finalised the design? Just the sort of thing that 3D printing is good for.

Jen

Potentially if there's enough interest. Happy to share but it's not quite ready for general use and I'm not sure how much further to go with fettling it at the moment.

6 hours ago, BEngo said:

And which 3D printer?

3D printing looks like it could help me on a couple of projects, but its something I haven't attempted yet. My CAD capability is limited to an ancient 2D copy of TurboCAD, so it would all be a bit of a learning curve!

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

And which 3D printer?

3D printing looks like it could help me on a couple of projects, but its something I haven't attempted yet. My CAD capability is limited to an ancient 2D copy of TurboCAD, so it would all be a bit of a learning curve!

After looking at lots of reviews online I bought a Creality CR10S Pro. It has its issues though. Setup is not as straightforward as they make out, getting the Y axis parallel to the hotbed was extremely difficult. Extremal temperature affects sensors, so does hotbed and nozzle temperature, so it can take a lot of time to setup between prints, this might be more because of where my printer is located in a garage, which gets pretty cold. It took a lot of faffing to figure this out and necessitated replacing the hotbed when it got gouged by the nozzle. 

I now set the bed and nozzle temperature up and let it settle for 10 minutes before starting a print. 

Given the above I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's the only printer I've used so can't recommend anything else. Once the issues are understood and it's setup right, the print quality seems pretty good. 

• 2 years later...