MV Arvin Sinks

rgreg

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Vessel tragically breaks in heavy seas and sinks. From the 12 crew, 6 are rescued, 3 bodies recovered and 3 missing.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-coastal-freighter-breaks-up-at-anchor

Very sad to see and even sadder to read that the vessel was surveyed last year with findings related to hull corrosion and deficiencies in watertight hatches. Let's hope that this leads to more notice being taken  of such survey results and tougher action by the relevant port state authorities to prevent further tragic loss of life.

Howard

Tragic but not always confined to 3rd world countries. I've got a book somewhere that documents issues Great Lake bulk carriers operating, and sinking, off of the east coast of the US not that many years ago. Not sure if it's here in the house or on the boat. I'll try and track it down. Well worth a read.

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Tragic but not always confined to 3rd world countries. I've got a book somewhere that documents issues Great Lake bulk carriers operating, and sinking, off of the east coast of the US not that many years ago. Not sure if it's here in the house or on the boat. I'll try and track it down. Well worth a read.

My first 'real' job after completing my research was to study the structures of large tankers, following losses of several new builds. The problem was that it was an era in which ships, especially tankers, were being built ever larger and it was assumed - erroneously as it turned out - that the designers could just scale up. 

Similarly, my research project was precipitated by the collapse of several large civil engineering structures - especially arch dams and box structure bridges, where again scaling up had led to inadequate strengths.

In the case on one bridge the primary problem was the use by the constructor of techniques that had been is use for some time and it was assumed that they could continue even with much larger structures. It was a satisfactory design, in the stress analysis sense, but it was the practical aspects which intervened.

Sometime, in operation, users will continue with tried and tested practice, perhaps even 'getting away' with poor maintenance, until one day it all goes wrong.

I have no knowledge of what caused this sinking but the investigators will no doubt eventually come back with a detailed explanation and then rules will change, unless it was just simply negligence. Even then, such cases often lead to tighter regulation and supervision.