What makes of old white (ceramic?) Back cabin stove were there?

Jrtm

Featured Posts

So I've been doing some research and from what I can tell from very old film and very odd photos I'm trying to hunt down different makes of white (pos ceramic) back cabin stoves that would fit into a motor.

It could be polished cast iron but pics and videos def look more white.

Anyone know of any ranges that were build either ceramic or ceramic coated?

I think the oven was on the right as from pics the door looks too big. A Stratford comes to mind as these could be polished but not 100% sure ill see if I can get a still, if I put it on the 4k tv

I've never seen a white back cabin range but some did come in vitreous enamelled finishes around the 1940's. There's currently a Belle on Ebay in grey, and in my restoration corner there's a Dover that was originally green and a tiny Bandera No1 in pale grey. 

The problem is the enamel suffers from corrosion quite easily and is very expensive to have refinished. There's only a couple of places in the country that do it and as the process involves grit blasting and heating to an extremely high temperature there's a good chance of breakages on fragile parts.

IMG_1553.jpg

• Greenie 2

Can you post, or link to an example picture? I'd be surprised if they were white enamel. More likely would be a reflection from highly polished black lead, buffed up every day by a proud boatwoman. A photo from outside, glimpsing a stove in an otherwise dark cabin could well look white if the camera aperture, shutter speed etc were set for the outside of the boat and the general scene. Especially if the sun catches it. Black and white film isn't terribly sophisticated compared with a modern digital camera.

Jen

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Can you post, or link to an example picture? I'd be surprised if they were white enamel. More likely would be a reflection from highly polished black lead, buffed up every day by a proud boatwoman. A photo from outside, glimpsing a stove in an otherwise dark cabin could well look white if the camera aperture, shutter speed etc were set for the outside of the boat and the general scene. Especially if the sun catches it. Black and white film isn't terribly sophisticated compared with a modern digital camera.

Jen

Was colour film yes I did think pos silver I'm trying to get a screen shot of it now as we speak.

15 hours ago, noddyboater said:

There's actually 2 enamelled Belle Portables on Ebay currently but one is definitely too big for a back cabin.  They're both tempting but restoration projects which wouldn't be cheap. 

I think I looked at these both I think and are too big. I've got a small Larbert (14041?) Anyways it's the small one they did I've got a slightly bigger one but that's too far gone and will be used for spares but the small one currently fitted I couldn't got 1/4 bigger or wouldn't fit at all with good air gaps, it would suite a butty perfectly,

The Caledonian Nipper was produced in a creamy coloured enamel, NB Valencia is fitted with one, belongs to some friends of mine. Does have a LH firebox but is small enough to fit in a motor.

I have an unrestored Colombian Foundry Bonnybridge Dover in The Phoebe’s back cabin. Found for £180 on Gumtree but I had to drive to West Kilbride in Scotland to collect it.

7AFABFB1-9BAD-4E5B-89F3-A48BEBF78B2C.jpeg

15 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I've never seen a white back cabin range but some did come in vitreous enamelled finishes around the 1940's. There's currently a Belle on Ebay in grey, and in my restoration corner there's a Dover that was originally green and a tiny Bandera No1 in pale grey. 

The problem is the enamel suffers from corrosion quite easily and is very expensive to have refinished. There's only a couple of places in the country that do it and as the process involves grit blasting and heating to an extremely high temperature there's a good chance of breakages on fragile parts.

IMG_1553.jpg

I quite like those dovers but seam a bit on the high side even when need rebuilding considering I bought both my Larberts for under 100 and mine current one for rebuild didn't need much to put backtogether mostly the oven section

2 minutes ago, Toe Rag said:

The Caledonian Nipper was produced in a creamy coloured enamel, NB Valencia is fitted with one, belongs to some friends of mine. Does have a LH firebox but is small enough to fit in a motor.

I have an unrestored Colombian Foundry Bonnybridge Dover in The Phoebe’s back cabin. Found for £180 on Gumtree but I had to drive to West Kilbride in Scotland to collect it.

This  could be very sim ill post pic on second

This is the best and clearest I can get it off the 4k tv the oven door def looks white.

It also looks like it has a round disc on the chimney aswell as apposed to none or a door like epping

20210212_191025.jpg

21 minutes ago, Toe Rag said:

Ah I remember you selling phoebe's old range think I contacted you on face book.

Edited by billybobbooth

17 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Are you sure it's not an early gas cooker.......

Could be but not sure where you would put gas bottles on a clayton motor in 1965, but it could well be though will be another area to explore

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, sorry, got the idea you were looking for a white one to buy!

Not seen the Harworth one's in the flesh, but they look like a worthwhile back cabin replacement worth considering bearing in mind the shortage of anything else.

10 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Ah, sorry, got the idea you were looking for a white one to buy!

Not seen the Harworth one's in the flesh, but they look like a worthwhile back cabin replacement worth considering bearing in mind the shortage of anything else.

I am if I find one at sensible price that will fit,

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

In what way is that better than the Windysmithy Louis Ranger which is 1/3 of the price?

https://www.windysmithy.co.uk/woodburners/louis-ranger

The louis ranger is designed to burn wood, not coal as usually used in a back cabin; it is of welded steel with (i suspect) no insulation on the back and sides. Unlike the typical back cabin stove which is usually a mixture of Cast Iron, a refractory brick lined firebox, and on the back and sides a layer of insulation under a sheet metal cover (why most back cabin stoves are much closer to their surroundings than the regulations would require for a stove with an un-insulated body). I was going to say its the wrong hand, but for £30 extra they will make one the opposite hand. 

springy

9 hours ago, springy said:

The louis ranger is designed to burn wood, not coal as usually used in a back cabin; it is of welded steel with (i suspect) no insulation on the back and sides. Unlike the typical back cabin stove which is usually a mixture of Cast Iron, a refractory brick lined firebox, and on the back and sides a layer of insulation under a sheet metal cover (why most back cabin stoves are much closer to their surroundings than the regulations would require for a stove with an un-insulated body). I was going to say its the wrong hand, but for £30 extra they will make one the opposite hand. 

springy

I was comparing with the Bubble which is also welded steel and the wrong hand.

Bubble

BCCS-4A.jpg

Louis Ranger

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_24f2.jpg?itok=O11

Yes the LR is a simpler stove, but it is 1/3 of the price.

Edited by David Mack