Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Exactly this!  

Yes to this and Tracy's post.

1 hour ago, John264 said:

We’re on the Braunston side of Napton junction and he’s just gone past us.

Oh my Gawd.

Where the hell is he going?

Not down the GU I hope. There are already a couple of fatarses cruising around above Hatton.

22 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes to this and Tracy's post.

Oh my Gawd.

Where the hell is he going?

Not down the GU I hope. There are already a couple of fatarses cruising around above Hatton.

Hopefully not to The Folly for dinner.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Sooner or later it is time for direct action. I'm thinking bricks. In the mean time breasting up might be a fun tactic.

I was thin king along the same lines. CWF clubbing together and hiring a 12ft widebeam and mooring it right at the front by the bridge next time Miles Away is expected through.

But yes a pair moored there breasted up, with explanations spread along the towpath telegraph would be just as good for making the point. 

A breasted pair on the GU part Braunston to Napton would be perfectly legal as a narrowboat could pass but in the right place Miles Away would be stuffed.

Then the error of his ways could be explained to him at length, like all day.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A breasted pair on the GU part Braunston to Napton would be perfectly legal as a narrowboat could pass but in the right place Miles Away would be stuffed.

Then the error of his ways could be explained to him at length, like all day.

I thought that spot at Braunston on the actual N Oxford would be better. you can't legitimately complain about him on the wide section from Braunston to Wigrams turn 

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought that spot at Braunston on the actual N Oxford would be better. you can't legitimately complain about him on the wide section from Braunston to Wigrams turn 

Depends on the actual width of the boat….

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well yes, this IS what we are discussing, mooring a breasted pair on the officially narrow bit just past the services and on the bend by the bridge.

The Braunston to Wigwams is officially shared Oxford/GU, wide canal, AFAIK. 

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Well yes, this IS what we are discussing, mooring a breasted pair on the officially narrow bit just past the services and on the bend by the bridge.

Mind you mooring another fat boat just before Wigrams would do the same thing

10 hours ago, MtB said:

This is what I was replying to "A breasted pair on the GU part Braunston to Napton"

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Mind you mooring another fat boat just before Wigrams would do the same thing

But why are we talking about Wig wams at all? Surely the the problem is the stretch from Onley to Braunston, finishing at the really tight bit between the road bridge and Midland chandeliers.

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

But why are we talking about Wig wams at all? Surely the the problem is the stretch from Onley to Braunston, finishing at the really tight bit between the road bridge and Midland chandeliers.

I quite agree

10 hours ago, StephenA said:

It seems he might be on his way back today ... which is not what the notice says. 

No-one else has mentioned Miles Away since this. Perhaps that means he didn't go back and is still out there until next weekend. Or perhaps he went back without anyone actually noticing. Seems unlikely.

16 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

No-one else has mentioned Miles Away since this. Perhaps that means he didn't go back and is still out there until next weekend. Or perhaps he went back without anyone actually noticing. Seems unlikely.

No, he didnt come back.

His berth is very near ours and he didnt come back in last night, which means - as he cant stop overnight on the North Oxford - he must still be on the GU. Given the notice for a boat movement next weekend, it looks like he will be back next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, he didnt come back.

His berth is very near ours and he didnt come back in last night, which means - as he cant stop overnight on the North Oxford - he must still be on the GU. Given the notice for a boat movement next weekend, it looks like he will be back next weekend.

His berth is near yours and he didn't come back, and you're surprised? 😀

Edited by rusty69
Forgot smiley thing
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

His berth is very near ours and he didnt come back in last night,

Dirty stop out! It'll be the cruise of shame very shortly then I suspect. No-one likes that - maybe he should just keep going to somewhere nobody knows him and his outsized antics. ;)

On 20/08/2022 at 18:05, ditchcrawler said:

This just came up on my Facebook feed, not sure where it is.

Braunston waterpoint

image.png.1181af66720d1f798fcfc2f4e20dcb0c.png

I have just had a 2nd, this time fairly lengthy, email from Matthew Symonds, National Boating Manager (Leisure Boating), in response to me forwarding this photo to him over the weekend. CRT do seem to be taking this seriously, having now seen photographic evidence, and will be contacting the owner of Miles Away to discuss this incident.

They have also taken on board my comment about the imprecise timing given in the notice and intend to make a change requiring notification of a specific day and preferably AM or PM as well.

I also understand from a fellow forum member, who is on the CRT Navigation Advisory Group, that this issue is also on the agenda for the September meeting. This will be attended by Matthew and, from past meeting notes I have read on the website, such meetings are also attended by a number of other senior CRT personnel.

* PLEASE NOTE *  Matthew has asked for further evidence, if anyone has it, to be sent to him directly. If any of you witnessed this incident (or others), or know anyone that did, and would like to contact Matthew, please PM me and I'll provide Matthew's email address and/or phone number.

See below for an extract from Matthew's email asking for further evidence. 

Our boat licence terms and conditions do include a clause that make clear that the skipper should not do anything which will cause injury, damage or nuisance to us or any person or their property. As yet we haven’t been contacted by any of the other boaters who might have been directly involved in the incident shown in the photograph so have no proof of damage caused. If you know anyone who was involved, it would be helpful if they could contact me.

11 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I couldn't possibly confirm that email address as I was reluctant to put it on the forum myself. 

However, if you have any information to send him you won't be needing to pm me!

I fail to see the smoke and mirrors .... he is an official of CRT and his (and everybody else) email should be available