Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What is the sanction against a fat boat owner who navigates in breach of the CRT requirements?

None?

I suspected as much!

As the boat exceeds the dimensions of the canal it would be a bylaw offence. Ultimately a section 8 removal…one can hope anyway. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Is there any pics or a reg number please? Sadly I’m not close at the moment to go & find it. 

Primer paint, no name , no number. With 4 other boats, all look like single men live aboards but its not the mooring for me with the traffic racket off the M6.

It looks like a 9ft beam.

• Greenie 1

It must be a recent addition then as it wasn’t there last week? It can’t get as far as Hillmorton due to the narrows at Rose Narrowboats, there may be an ex-bridge hole before that too but can’t remember. Can it even turn around anywhere?

42 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

It must be a recent addition then as it wasn’t there last week? It can’t get as far as Hillmorton due to the narrows at Rose Narrowboats, there may be an ex-bridge hole before that too but can’t remember. Can it even turn around anywhere?

Does it want to?

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I wonder if they had informed CRT....I was getting alert notices when there was a widebeam movement to/from dunchurch pools as part of the stoppage alerts

Given how they were behaving I suspect not

• Horror 1

20 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

If it could move between two turning points they could possibly try to argue continual cruising?

I don’t know, i’m guessing their reasons. 

Hawkesbury Junction Lock to Stretton Stop is hardly CC-able, for a start, they would have to do half of the 6.8 miles in reverse, the only real turning points are the Wyken arm and under the M69 bridge.

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

It's either been lifted in at the old Les Allen yard or the old power station site near Sutton stop.

Or from a farmers field.

I think they used to crane in boats from the moorings at the other end of the brinklow straight, where they used to fit out shells on the farmers field , though i never saw anything up on the bank.

I also have vague memories of a boat being lifted in from the farm just to the north of the m69 bridge at Anstey, a long time ago.

( i also admit assisting in building a boat at lot mead in Ricky and getting a crane to ‘chuck it ‘ over the towpath into the canalon a sunday morning back in 1986 .

Bwb got a bit agitated for a while and spent a while investigating the towpath for marks. In the end they accepted the explanation of ‘skyhooks’ because it wasnt worth going to court over the bylaws.  

15 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I think they used to crane in boats from the moorings at the other end of the brinklow straight, where they used to fit out shells on the farmers field , though i never saw anything up on the bank.

I remember that from the 60s.  However in those days we were knee deep in converted lifeboats and clinker hulls.  Smallish cruisers that were hauled out on rollers by tractor.

On 09/08/2021 at 12:09, matty40s said:

the old Les Allen yard

Where was that?

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I remember that from the 60s.  However in those days we were knee deep in converted lifeboats and clinker hulls.  Smallish cruisers that were hauled out on rollers by tractor.

Where was that?

Oldbury.

I think Les Wilsons was intended., at Ansty on the Coventry

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry, its been a heavy day.  The North Oxford was mostly built by the Coventry Canal Co of course so I will claim a Freudian  slip.   :tired:     😉

No it wasn't....Are you thinking of the the fact that part of the Coventry was built by the Birmingham & Fazeley?

There's no way a wide beam was craned in at Colehurst Farm - Les Wilson's RB22s are long gone, and I don't think you'd get a wide boat over the bridge. He only ever lifted boats for himself, generally empty shells, anyway.

Cranage is generally a bit of a no-no round the old power station at Hawkesbury due to the overhead cables around the substation on the off-side.

To have been put in here it would have been over my dead body, and I'm still typing, so I'm struggling to think of anywhere sensible to put a crane to lift any boat, never mind a wide beam in on this length.

The simplest answer is Grove Road in Ansty, no permission requested or needed, just drive up there and unload it, quiet road so no worries about blocking it for a short while, and who doing that would give a stuff about risk assessments of the bank strength or suitability.

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The simplest answer is Grove Road in Ansty, no permission requested or needed, just drive up there and unload it, quiet road so no worries about blocking it for a short while, and who doing that would give a stuff about risk assessments of the bank strength or suitability.

True, there's the road layby at the north end to set the crane up next to. I'm too law abiding, obviously!

11 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Well, I think the time has come to actually see evidence of this mythical beastie.

Has no one been through this section over the last few days? 

In Coventry now and heading that way. I will even try for a photo

12 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Well, I think the time has come to actually see evidence of this mythical beastie.

Has no one been through this section over the last few days? 

93367692-BB2B-4B56-A2EF-B3D07B0853A9_1_105_c.jpeg.cce177c61842585443f5339883b88813.jpeg

Or did you mean the widebeam on the Ansty pound? I travelled that pound a few days ago and didn't see it!

2 hours ago, MtB said:

93367692-BB2B-4B56-A2EF-B3D07B0853A9_1_105_c.jpeg.cce177c61842585443f5339883b88813.jpeg

This picture nicely illustrates why I think there's no place for these vessels on most of our canals. If you're travelling and meet that coming towards you, your're deep in the trees and shallows of the far bank whilst he sails past with impunity.  My immediate action drill wherever possible is to immediately go alongside on the towpath side and let them deal with it.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

This picture nicely illustrates why I think there's no place for these vessels on most of our canals. If you're travelling and meet that coming towards you, your're deep in the trees and shallows of the far bank whilst he sails past with impunity.  My immediate action drill wherever possible is to immediately go alongside on the towpath side and let them deal with it.

As a deep drafted ex-working boat, I would move over just enough to accommodate a reasonably deep drafted narrow boat coming the other way, passing with inches to spare. If that means the fat boat has to go aground on the towpath side, so be it.

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

As it happens, from about where I took the photo the canal narrows considerably for a straight section about 300-500 yards long ahead of the WB. Once that boat entered the narrow section I doubt there would have been any possibility of a NB going the other way squeezing past, let alone another widebeam (not that there was one).

Also, as I continued up the towpath I passed several NBs going the same way and rapidly catching up with it, and I suspect they would have been delayed considerably. 

Edited by MtB