Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

CRT have just put out the following info.

Shame they didnt ban them entirely (or allow them one trip back to Braunston).

profile_mask_2x.png

Notices, Canal & River Trust <notices@canalrivertrust.org.uk>

4:18 PM (10 minutes ago)

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Location: Movement of wide-beam boats between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks on the North Oxford Canal
Starts At: Bridge 93/94, Braunston Junction
Ends At: Lock 7, Hillmorton Top Lock (Os)

Thursday 11 February 2021 16:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Information

Original message:

Managing the safe movement of wide beam boats on the North Oxford Canal

The north Oxford Canal between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks is a narrow canal, not suitable for wide-beam craft. The maximum craft dimensions for boats on the canal are:

Length 21.96m (72ft)
Beam 2.13m (7ft’)
Draught 1.09m (3ft 7’’)

Access to the marinas on the North Oxford is permitted but only at pre-agreed times and must be done in a single journey (i.e. not stopping between the marina and the destination)

How to arrange movement of wide-beam craft on the north Oxford canal

Boaters should notify enquiries.westmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uk not less than two weeks ahead of the boat movement with the following information:

• - Boat index and name
  • - Planned date and time of movement
  • - Direction of movement
  • - Contact number for the person who will be navigating the boat

Planned wide-beam boat movements on the north Oxford will be published on the Trust’s notices and stoppages web page

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What is needed now is a movable width restriction at the A45 bridge just north of Braunston Junction, which is only unlocked when a wide boat passage is scheduled.

Excellent idea, how about a tonne bag full of concrete at both sides?

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What is needed now is a movable width restriction at the A45 bridge just north of Braunston Junction, which is only unlocked when a wide boat passage is scheduled.

I don't agree with this at all - this is a blind bridge, to be approached at caution, but wide enough for two boats to pass easily , something I've had to do many times over the years. Any restriction in width would cause chaos!

3 minutes ago, archie57 said:

I don't agree with this at all - this is a blind bridge, to be approached at caution, but wide enough for two boats to pass easily , something I've had to do many times over the years. Any restriction in width would cause chaos!

I think he means the second A45 bridge as you go north....not the one between the stop house and the turn.....

2 hours ago, archie57 said:

Not when you've got pillocks moored like this...

20210211_202859.jpg

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes a pillock on a narrowboat! ?

Indeed, his front end was on the last ring, and his centre line was tied to a mooring pin banged in very close to the bridge.....his back end wasnt tied....swinging out every time a boat passed.

I dont just pick on widebeams you know!

Edited by matty40s

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

That was one of my suggestions to the Ombudsman back in 2018 the other was the now imposed restriction.

As to the claim for passing two boats through that bridge at the same time, good luck with that one!

23 hours ago, J R ALSOP said:

Well it's a start, just need to work back down GU to Berko

The Canal & River Trust has a statutory obligation under the 1968 Act to maintain the Grand Union Canal for wide beam boats max 3.81 metres (12 ft 6 in) beam between Camp Hill and Berkhamsted. It can  (and does) impose navigation restrictions e.g. for passage of the tunnels.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, fanshaft said:

The Canal & River Trust has a statutory obligation under the 1968 Act to maintain the Grand Union Canal for wide beam boats max 3.81 metres (12 ft 6 in) beam between Camp Hill and Berkhamsted. It can  (and does) impose navigation restrictions e.g. for passage of the tunnels.

Look at my post number ???

From July 9th 2019

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

In which thread?  This one isn't 24 hours old yet.

Sorry the earlier version of this one "March of the Widebeams" where we seem to have duplicate postings running alongside each other.

Thought I was still on that one - but I'm not.

March of the Widebeams - General Boating - Canal World