Serious incident which took place between Hazelford Lock and Gunthorpe Lock.

StephenA

Featured Posts

I've seen several notices about this :

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19119-between-hazelford-lock-and-gunthorpe-lock-river-trent

Nottinghamshire Police will be on site on Saturday 13th February, to continue their investigations of the serious incident which took place between Hazelford Lock and Gunthorpe Lock. 

Boaters are asked not to travel along this section while the continued police operation is taking place and to follow any advice given by the police on site.

But does anyone know what happened?

They get a lot of bodies int Trent. I found two when I skippered the Princess up there in one year. One bloke jumped off Lady bay bridge with a rucksack of bricks on his back. He was taken underwater right down to holme lock and through the gates and I found him beached when the level dropped half a mile downstream from the lock. A few weeks later an old dear in a nightie was floating after attempting to top herself but I got police down and they got her out alive. She did it again a week later but unfortunately did a proper job of it.

• Horror 1

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I believe this was accidental. They came off the road at Bleasby where the road is very close to the river. Unfortunately they couldn't get out of the car before it sank.

Cars usually "come off the road" when somebody drives too fast for the conditions. That's why there are no RTAs any more , just RTCs.

I agree  about the opening the windows bit  - if the electric windows still work when submerged, of course. 

Back in 2007 outside The Barge Inn at Honey Street on the K&A, I was talking to a German copper on holiday here who's car was being recovered from the cut, he said he came out of the car park and on coming to the main road he looked right & left and drove out, unfortunately the road was a canal! ???

The car park slopes upwards towards the towpath and his headlights didn't show the water. Needless to say he took a lot of stick ?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We heard about it last week on the local news, if a car goes in the water you have to open the windows to open a door, something that is very difficult to want to do under the circumstances another disaster on the trent ?

I have done a bit of helicopter underwater escape training, I wouldn't want to be in a car in a cold river.

• Greenie 3

43 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Cars usually "come off the road" when somebody drives too fast for the conditions. That's why there are no RTAs any more , just RTCs.

I agree  about the opening the windows bit  - if the electric windows still work when submerged, of course. 

That's the problem you have to do it immediately 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Back in 2007 outside The Barge Inn at Honey Street on the K&A, I was talking to a German copper on holiday here who's car was being recovered from the cut, he said he came out of the car park and on coming to the main road he looked right & left and drove out, unfortunately the road was a canal! ???

The car park slopes upwards towards the towpath and his headlights didn't show the water. Needless to say he took a lot of stick ?

He was very unlucky, usually boats are moored fender to fender outside the Barge with no gaps for driving into the water ?

• Greenie 1

It’s not easy in a situation like that even if you know what to do. The first time I did training in a survival suit did not initially go well for me. I have always been a strong swimmer and, lockdown excepted, still swim a kilometre a day front crawl at a good pace. But going in wearing a survival suit, the suit took over and I was not in control - I had a hell of a time reeling in the panic and getting the training to take over - this wasn’t in a pool, but somewhere off Southampton, so quite deep! 

So going into water in a car unexpectedly it would take nerves of steel to do it all logically.

(On the same survival course was a Nigerian guy who couldn’t swim - he went straight in, no messing, and trusted the suit and the training - I guess my initial problem was not trusting the suit, but rather my own ability, but the suit thought better)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

The sad thing is that the car was seen floating, so there was an opportunity for the occupants to get out (assuming they were conscious and not badly injured), if only they had known how.