10kg of coal/day

blackrose

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Halfway thro a Tonne....as my post said.....

Sorry, getting my halfs and tonnes mixed up - my eyes are getting more like my grannys :)

If you've used half, in about two and a half months, you ought to have two and a half months worth left, (end of April). I suppose it depends when the weather turns for the better, and when you start using your stoves much less.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Sorry, getting my halfs and tonnes mixed up - my eyes are getting more like my grannys :)

If you've used half, in about two and a half months, you ought to have two and a half months worth left, (end of April). I suppose it depends when the weather turns for the better, and when you start using your stoves much less.

But unlike other years sadly this won't see me till the end of November when I can order more in the black friday sale.....Last year I saved £60/tonne which is not to be sniffed at!

• Greenie 1

Changing the subject slightly......

How will coal burners manage when the ban on burning household coal comes in?

Sales of household coal are to be phased out over the next couple of years.

The steam heratige sector is getting concerned about where they will be getting 'steam' coal from.

Noises from Whitehall have said "We don't want to ban the Flying Scotsman" but the problem will be where is the coal?

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Changing the subject slightly......

How will coal burners manage when the ban on burning household coal comes in?

Sales of household coal are to be phased out over the next couple of years.

The steam heratige sector is getting concerned about where they will be getting 'steam' coal from.

Noises from Whitehall have said "We don't want to ban the Flying Scotsman" but the problem will be where is the coal?

Who does burn coal on a boat tho?.....smokeless is much better for the smaller fires...even my back cabin range is fine on it...and you could still burn Anthracite I think.

The whole steam heritage thing is much more serious and quite a worry even for a non engine owning steam nut like myself....Im hoping sense will prevail but who knows....That truanting ikea loving teenager has a lot to answer for in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Who does burn coal on a boat tho?....

Judging by the clouds of black smoke and the runs of tar down the sides of some boats, quite a few do! That and damp wood, oily rags and recently expired badgers...

(20kg smokeless lasts me about 2.5 days)

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Judging by the clouds of black smoke and the runs of tar down the sides of some boats, quite a few do! That and damp wood, oily rags and recently expired badgers...

(20kg smokeless lasts me about 2.5 days)

Im quite partial to an oily rag to be fair....

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Being the owner of a JP2 I am self sufficient in oily rags!

Working for DEFRA, I'm pretty flush with recently expired badgers... :D

(I'm not really, and I don't work for DEFRA - remember when it wasn't necessary to add qualifying statements to jest...?) :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

"24 degrees int boat int front cabin at the moment so dropped from the 26 I had a couple of hours ago. It will be a bit nippy in the back end I reckon though.

We dont get that problem with our 5 blade baby equaliser fan (other ecofans are availalble)......It's lovely and toasty in here.:P

43 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Working for DEFRA, I'm pretty flush with recently expired badgers... :D

(I'm not really, and I don't work for DEFRA - remember when it wasn't necessary to add qualifying statements to jest...?) :rolleyes:

My humour seems to have passed you by as well....maybe you need to own a vintage engine to get it.....

Another 200kg of anthracite and Excel mix delivered today. Will hopefully last over a month.

I'm thinking of installing a powered stoker to save my shoulders, there is one on a Bayer-Garret in the Manchester Science Museum that is doing nothing.

With the museum closed they won't miss it till they reopen and I could have it back by then.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Another 200kg of anthracite and Excel mix delivered today. Will hopefully last over a month.

I'm thinking of installing a powered stoker to save my shoulders, there is one on a Bayer-Garret in the Manchester Science Museum that is doing nothing.

With the museum closed they won't miss it till they reopen and I could have it back by then.

Shovelling by hand will keep you warm!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, frangar said:

My humour seems to have passed you by as well....maybe you need to own a vintage engine to get it.....

No, it didn't, sorry for any confusion. I should have probably have added a chuckle emoji about your oily rags, which I certainly did pick up on. :D

The throwaway comment in brackets bemoaning pc culture was not targeted.

I always use two types of coal. A fast hot burner like Excel, for when it's very cold and during the daytime. And a slow ashy burner like Supertherm to keep the fire in without needing further stoking, when the space is up to a comfortable temperature. It's also good for over-night. I have one coal hod of each, either side of the stove.

If I burn only Excel or similar, I get through much more coal in total, there is a lot more stoking of the fire needed throughout the day, and it works out a lot more expensive. If I burn only a slow ashy coal, it takes hours to get the whole boat (65ft narrow beam) up to a decent temperature and the number of ash-emptying trips is doubled. So using two coals works well for me. ?

• Greenie 1

Its not too cold for some folks, mind you if it had been me I'd have spent hours 'trying to find it' !

(Maybe that explains why it is 'thought to two Women')

The Covid lockdown and sub-zero temperatures did not stop one couple from getting their kicks just days before Valentine’s Day. The pair were caught having sex in a car on Dartmoor at 2am on the coldest night for 26 years.

Despite it being -3C outside, the couple – thought to be two women – had driven from their separate homes in Plymouth to get together under the stars in the early hours of Thursday morning. Unsurprisingly, officers who discovered them at it were not impressed and sent them home.

Tavistock Police tweeted at 2.17am that such behaviour was in breach of a number of Covid rules. They said: ‘Fornicating under the stars, on the moors, may seem like this years latest romcom, but it is not an essential journey and certainly breaks social distancing guidance. ‘Please continue to abide by Covid-19 legislation to help prevent the spread of Covid.’

"The officers spoke to the individuals who were subsequently instructed to return to their respective home addresses; both were reported for breaching COVID-19 regulations.’

• Haha 1