10kg of coal/day

blackrose

Featured Posts

Buy our solid fuel in 25kg bags. Works out approximately 2 bags a week. For the past three years or so have favoured Excel. Our regular supplier, for reasons not for me to say, no longer does Excel but has recommended an alternative named Duel. We have used this for about three weeks now. I think we have got used to it now. It needs less air to burn. Seems to burn slightly hotter than Excel and about half the ash to Chuck away. Also slightly cheaper. Apparently the manufacturing process is different from Excel. Even in this weather the coal chunks are not wet. But, it smokes like ‘ell when first shovelled on.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not too cold for some folks, mind you if it had been me I'd have spent hours 'trying to find it' !

(Maybe that explains why it is 'thought to two Women')

The Covid lockdown and sub-zero temperatures did not stop one couple from getting their kicks just days before Valentine’s Day. The pair were caught having sex in a car on Dartmoor at 2am on the coldest night for 26 years.

Despite it being -3C outside, the couple – thought to be two women – had driven from their separate homes in Plymouth to get together under the stars in the early hours of Thursday morning. Unsurprisingly, officers who discovered them at it were not impressed and sent them home.

Tavistock Police tweeted at 2.17am that such behaviour was in breach of a number of Covid rules. They said: ‘Fornicating under the stars, on the moors, may seem like this years latest romcom, but it is not an essential journey and certainly breaks social distancing guidance. ‘Please continue to abide by Covid-19 legislation to help prevent the spread of Covid.’

"The officers spoke to the individuals who were subsequently instructed to return to their respective home addresses; both were reported for breaching COVID-19 regulations.’

But what if it was their daily exercise?

:unsure:

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not too cold for some folks, mind you if it had been me I'd have spent hours 'trying to find it' !

The Covid lockdown and sub-zero temperatures did not stop one couple from getting their kicks just days before Valentine’s Day. The pair were caught having sex in a car on Dartmoor at 2am on the coldest night for 26 years.

Despite it being -3C outside, the couple – thought to be two women – had driven from their separate homes in Plymouth to get together under the stars in the early hours of Thursday morning. Unsurprisingly, officers who discovered them at it were not impressed and sent them home.

Tavistock Police tweeted at 2.17am that such behaviour was in breach of a number of Covid rules. They said: ‘Fornicating under the stars, on the moors, may seem like this years latest romcom, but it is not an essential journey and certainly breaks social distancing guidance. ‘Please continue to abide by Covid-19 legislation to help prevent the spread of Covid.’

"The officers spoke to the individuals who were subsequently instructed to return to their respective home addresses; both were reported for breaching COVID-19 regulations.’

Round our way the dykes are frozen over.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

We are currently using 60kg every 2 weeks when we don't have any wood.

It helps that we have a large shed full of wood that we rotate through each year. We can last about 2 weeks at a time with it when our top box is full. The only down side is the labour, as it's pretty much a full day's work when we are there (to make the most of everything).

I couldn't fathom going through that much coal however. In desperation last week due to weather I used some of those compressed saw dust bricks from B&M and they were surprisingly very good, especially for their price.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can two women have sexual intercourse?

On 10/02/2021 at 19:56, MoominPapa said:

I've been shovelling it in like the fireman of the Flying Scotsman. If we left Kings Cross back in October, we must be getting close to Doncaster by now.

MP.

You had better keep a close eye on your water level . . .

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The pair were caught having sex in a car on Dartmoor at 2am on the coldest night for 26 years.

Despite it being -3C outside, the

Whilst some readers may have fixated on the recreational aspect of the article quoted, I was more struck that the lowest temperature on Dartmoor in 26 years was just -3C! 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Whilst some readers may have fixated on the recreational aspect of the article quoted, I was more struck that the lowest temperature on Dartmoor in 26 years was just -3C! 

I think the writer of the article may have been fixated on something other than temperature.

Whilst the climate of the SW is classed as 'Oceanic' it does occasionally get cold.

MetCheck shows that for Dartmoor :

Temperature

Throughout the month of February daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 8°C that's about 47°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 5°C, that's 41°F.

In recent times the highest recorded temperature in February has been 13°C that's 55°F, with the lowest recorded temperature -8°C, about 18°F.

Switched to pure anthracite at home. Lots of heat. From an old skool merchant under a railway arch yard who has a big open bonfire in his yard each time I go down and get a few bags.

Edited by mark99

9 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Switched to pure anthracite at home. Lots of heat. From an old skool merchant under a railway arch yard who has a big open bonfire in his yard each time I go down and get a few bags.

What are you burning it in? I use it in the Rayburn and we find it works in the boatman at the bungalow as long as we start it with pet coke 

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What are you burning it in? I use it in the Rayburn and we find it works in the boatman at the bungalow as long as we start it with pet coke 

Peter,

I start with very dry wood logs say two, when they burn down add shovelfull small nuts of anthracite. Needs a lot of air toburn and a good starting temp. My multiburner is a domestic house type and a tall flue and its in a big space so the hot temp produced is not cloying. 

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think that I heard on the news that the temperature in Braemar dropped to -22°C - the coldest recorded this Century!

44 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The secret to lighting Anthracite is to make sure it gets oxygen - I put a thread on here about ten years ago explaining that the way to do this is to lay the Anthracite on a cleaned grate about four inches deep then put the combustible firelighter (I use oily cotton waste) and kindling on top. That way the heat of the burning wood draws plenty of oxygen through the Anthracite enabling it to burn - if you put the wood underneath, the Anthracite will be smothered by carbon dioxide from the burning wood and will take much longer to burn.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

I think that I heard on the news that the temperature in Braemar dropped to -22°C - the coldest recorded this Century!

The secret to lighting Anthracite is to make sure it gets oxygen - I put a thread on here about ten years ago explaining that the way to do this is to lay the Anthracite on a cleaned grate about four inches deep then put the combustible firelighter (I use oily cotton waste) and kindling on top. That way the heat of the burning wood draws plenty of oxygen through the Anthracite enabling it to burn - if you put the wood underneath, the Anthracite will be smothered by carbon dioxide from the burning wood and will take much longer to burn.

I have been burning it on my Rayburn Royal for years I find it really easy to light, used paper element oil filter light throw in, follow with anthracite in small amounts until firebox full! 

At bungalow we put kindling down pet coke on top then anthracite on top of that, put in gas poker light 3 -5 mins later fire going well.

As you say it's an art lighting anthracite but the Rayburn loves it