10kg of coal/day

blackrose

Featured Posts

Put a jumper on! ?

One of the advantages of narrow boats over wide beams is less volume to heat. Getting around 3 days out of 20kg at the moment. Stove not anything like running full on. Ten years ago, when it was dropping to below -10C during the nigh, I was getting up at around 3am to stoke the stove up again.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I dont think thats bad at all on a widebeam. We use a 25 kg bag every three days at least and more when its realy cold. We dont like the temp ever below 23 at gunwhales height though. Youve got a hell of a lot bigger area.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Put a jumper on! ?

One of the advantages of narrow boats over wide beams is less volume to heat. 

Less volume yes, but narrowboats have a greater surface area to volume ratio, so all other things being equal you're actually less efficient in terms of the amount of energy you use to heat a narrowboat.

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Less volume yes, but narrowboats have a greater surface area to volume ratio, so all other things being equal you're actually less efficient in terms of the amount of energy you use to heat a narrowboat.

Less efficient, but still less coal!

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont think thats bad at all on a widebeam. We use a 25 kg bag every three days at least and more when its realy cold. We dont like the temp ever below 23 at gunwhales height though. Youve got a hell of a lot bigger area.

I bought a tonne for £360 back in September. I usually have 10 bags left over in spring but not this year. I might even have to top up with some bags of expensive stuff.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Less efficient, but still less coal!

Still less space!

I enjoy the space I have. I wouldn't go back to a narrowboat

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I did have some cheapo coal (HEAT) delivered in the coldest snap, and cost per week went up from about £25per week to £33, mainly due to it burning faster, I know that's not a scientific test, but I think you need to consider what fuel best suits your stove, I seem to need to fuel up every six hours, and keep some coals on the top of stove so they are warm and dry, nothing better at dousing my fire than adding a lot of dirty wet ovals. 

Both my fuels were 25kg, I also resorted to buying kindling and logs. It's not the best stove, at staying in.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I've been shovelling it in like the fireman of the Flying Scotsman. If we left Kings Cross back in October, we must be getting close to Doncaster by now.

MP.

Say 'Hello' to the terrace of houses, Roberts Road, on the left as you come past Bridge Junction, just to the south of the station.

We lived there at the end of the 1980s.

Just now, Victor Vectis said:

Say 'Hello' to the terrace of houses, Roberts Road, on the left as you come past Bridge Junction, just to the south of the station.

We lived there at the end of the 1980s.

Just another few bags of Taybrite, and we'll be there. :)

MP.

41 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I've been shovelling it in like the fireman of the Flying Scotsman. If we left Kings Cross back in October, we must be getting close to Doncaster by now.

MP.

That's a long way to go during 2 lockdowns...

?‍♂️ ?

Runs away..

Not been through this much since 2010....25kg bag every 2 days....not helped by people having to work at home.

7 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

We are at home with central heating but we are still chucking smokeless on an 8Kw stove. It depends on los of thhings including insulation

"24 degrees int boat int front cabin at the moment so dropped from the 26 I had a couple of hours ago. It will be a bit nippy in the back end I reckon though.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Just another few bags of Taybrite, and we'll be there. :)

MP.

Taybrite?

What on Earth is that?

No wonder you haven't arrived in Donny yet.

'Mallard' was burning good Yorkshire coal from Rossington Pit when she dashed down Stoke Bank on those, ahem, braking trials!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Taybrite?

What on Earth is that?

No wonder you haven't arrived in Donny yet.

'Mallard' was burning good Yorkshire coal from Rossington Pit when she dashed down Stoke Bank on those, ahem, braking trials!

Taybrite is not good, I'll admit, but don't you know there's a bloody pandemic on? We gets what we can when we can these days.

MP.

At Rossington colliery I helped tile the floor of the new up draught shaft winding house in '62/' 63, it was a week after someone fell down the shaft and only a few days previously a girder fell onto the spot where I had just walked through, all a bit scary  at fifteen years old. Also remember the steam engine driving a conical drum for cages on the down shaft, amazing watching a bloke sat in a chair on top of the engine operating everything manually with levers. Also massive coke braziers feeding warm air down the shaft. 

Edited by nb Innisfree
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's a long way to go during 2 lockdowns...

?‍♂️ ?

Runs away..

Not been through this much since 2010....25kg bag every 2 days....not helped by people having to work at home.

Its the being home all the time...normally we work away a fair bit...I ordered a Tonne towards the end of November which normall means I’ve got 4-6 bags left by the summer. Like others on here I’m now half way through it! Thinking I might have to get another 1/2 tonne sent it....mind you not helped by now having a working back cabin stove for the first time in years...I blame getting older as I now sound like my granny and feel the cold more! 

4 hours ago, frangar said:

Its the being home all the time...normally we work away a fair bit...I ordered a Tonne towards the end of November which normall means I’ve got 4-6 bags left by the summer. Like others on here I’m now half way through it! Thinking I might have to get another 1/2 tonne sent it....mind you not helped by now having a working back cabin stove for the first time in years...I blame getting older as I now sound like my granny and feel the cold more! 

Nearly half way through February, and you seem to have around 250kg left, (half way through 500kg?). That would be 12 or 13 x 20kg bags which seem to last people 2 or 3 days a bag. Your quarter tonne also seems to have been used in just under two and a half months so, the remainder should/could last until the end of April at your current useage. 

Over the years, I have tended to find that I don't need to use the stove much between mid/late March and late September, so you might find you have your 4-6 bags left as usual. Depends what the weather does for the rest of February, and how much like your granny you actually are :) 

Just now, Richard10002 said:

Nearly half way through February, and you seem to have around 250kg left, (half way through 500kg?). That would be 12 or 13 x 20kg bags which seem to last people 2 or 3 days a bag. Your quarter tonne also seems to have been used in just under two and a half months so, the remainder should/could last until the end of April at your current useage. 

Over the years, I have tended to find that I don't need to use the stove much between mid/late March and late September, so you might find you have your 4-6 bags left as usual. Depends what the weather does for the rest of February, and how much like your granny you actually are :) 

Halfway thro a Tonne....as my post said.....

• Greenie 1