Live aboard Barge Build

Featured Posts

I'm new to all this and looking at best options in terms of purchasing a live aboard barge.  To me, it looks like the best and most cost effective way forward is to have a boat built to a "sailaway" point, though with the right engine additions, bow thrusters and lined. I run a construction company and have interior fitters.

My heart tells me i want a Dutch Barge style of around 18/20m & 4m wide.  I will be living on the Thames but ideally I'd like to take it across the channel as well, so coastal waters compliant. However, if all that is too expensive, a 64x12'6 Widebeam style vessel will suit as a starter. 

The Q is...where do i go for best value for money as its very confusing.

1 minute ago, Simon Shearman said:

I will be living on the Thames but ideally I'd like to take it across the channel as well,

Do you have any experience of 'lumpy water' boating ?

The English Channel is classed as the busiest waterway in the world and when you are going 'across' it is like trying to walk across the M1 motorway as the vast majority of boats are heading 'up' or 'down' the channel.

Crossing the channel is not the same as 'coastal cruising' and a category D (Inland waterways) boat will not be 'ideal' for open water crossings of 20+ miles.

Cat C is for estuary or 'bays', not open water.

You would need a CatB boat.

Design Category A ~ 'OCEAN'

Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed winds of Beaufort F8 and significant wave heights of 4m and above, and for which vessels must be largely self-sufficient.

Design Category B ~ 'OFFSHORE'

Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including winds of wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including 4m may be experienced.

Design Category C ~ 'INSHORE'

Designed for sailing in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to and wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including 2m may be experienced.

Design Category D ~ 'SHELTERED WATERS'

Designed for sailing on small lakes, rivers and canals where conditions up to and wind F4 and significant wave heights up to, and including 0.5m may be experienced.

Are you aware of what qualifications you need to take your boat onto French waterways (bear in mind we are no longer in the EU) ?