help with electrics

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I  have just brought a boat and the surveyor report recommends that a prority job that needs to looked at is the electrics. I am new to boating so do not have a clue on this topic. I know a steep learning curve is facing me. Anyway I plan to get the boat moved to a marina for the first week of March and live on it their for a couple of months and then continuously cruise. My concern obviously is to make sure I have electrics all up and running only just under a month to go!! Right I will get to the point this is what the survey report says

13) "The craft has a shoreline input located in the engine room. Two different leads and power supplies were connected but no power was seen to reach the vessel distribution/battery charger. The below points need to be verified:

A) Ensure the AC system powers on when plugged into a known good power supply

b) Ensure  following A  that the AC battery charger powers on (switch is engine room bulkhead upper"

and

14) Further to R13 the presence of an AC earth to the hull should be established and galvanic isolator or isolation transformer fitted accordingly.

I  am in Manchester the boat is at Calcutt boats at the moment and will be moved to Wigrams Turn Marina.  I need an electrician I think to check the above for me and then make the system work so that I have power on shore line at the marina. Any advice/help appreciated and recommendation of any marine electrican who can help.

Any serious help from here, and you will get it, will need clear photos of exactly what you have.  In order to know how to advise you correctly.  There are many different bits of kit, and many different ways of connecting them!

Each boat is an individual, and different to the next.  Very very few are "production line" made as cars are, which makes photos essential.

Bod

So the surveyor was unwilling or incapable of doing a continuity check between an AC earth connection and the hull. Looks like back covering to me. Calcutt have technical staff capable of checking those items for you. I think a competent boater could do it. In fact I don't understand why the surveyor did not plug a shoreline in to see if it worked. Calcutt use a power washer where they pulled your  boat out and have power to all berths.

2 hours ago, Leap of faith said:

13) "The craft has a shoreline input located in the engine room. Two different leads and power supplies were connected but no power was seen to reach the vessel distribution/battery charger. 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

In fact I don't understand why the surveyor did not plug a shoreline in to see if it worked. 

Looks like he tried two leads and power supplies.