Canal Boat or Waterways World

Knighty

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I find the boat tests in Canal Boat magazine interesting, as a way of keeping up with the latest trends, gadgets and eye watering prices.

Have you noticed that neither magazine ever seems to test a bad one?

I, too, have cringed at statements like "sensibly priced at £120,000".

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you noticed that neither magazine ever seems to test a bad one?

I, too, have cringed at statements like "sensibly priced at £120,000".

Yes, if they gave a bad review thrn that builder wouldn't lend them any more boats to test, so with such a small market it would become self defeating.

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, if they gave a bad review thrn that builder wouldn't lend them any more boats to test, so with such a small market it would become self defeating.

.....and would be reluctant to take out any further (paid) adverts in the magazine.

In theory, reviewers are impartial. But, as a reviewer of records for various magazines, I have sometimes had an advertising manager phoning me saying "Please give this album a kind review, they take an advert every month and we need that revenue".

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

.....and would be reluctant to take out any further (paid) adverts in the magazine.

In theory, reviewers are impartial. But, as a reviewer of records for various magazines, I have sometimes had an advertising manager phoning me saying "Please give this album a kind review, they take an advert every month and we need that revenue".

Indeed, and of course it is possible to damn with faint praise within a review, should the reviwer feel strongly enough.

21 hours ago, cuthound said:

I find the boat tests in Canal Boat magazine interesting, as a way of keeping up with the latest trends, gadgets and eye watering prices.

I never bother reading them because I will never be able to afford those eye watering prices. I'm perfectly happy with my 20 year old boat and don't want to read about something I might be missing out on.

• Greenie 1

I used to read both until I got a boat then just got bored with reading the same stuff repeated on a yearly cycle. I find all the good stuff online as the online writers are free from pressures of the advertising manager. The notion that editorial and advertising are separate issues is flawed.